Norton 2012 - does anybody care at this point?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2011   #1
Llama

CamelKarma: 454
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Norton 2012 - does anybody care at this point?

Got a notice that Norton 2012 is out. I guess I tried it back in 2009 and they've been bugging me ever since. These antivirus makers trot out a new product every year. Many of them are "subscription based" now, so you have to buy a new one every year. With the free products out like MS Security Essentials, who is still buying antivirus software? What's the point? In this economy there are better things to throw your money at. Like rent.

Old 12-15-2011   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 199623261
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Norton 2012 - does anybody care at this point?

Jim, I have tried Norton before and experienced numerous crashes pc slowdowns etc. I am now using free Avast and it has not yet let me down.
Old 12-15-2011   #3
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 83089142

I've used Norton for years and have never had any trouble. I use it both at work and home too.
We had a free one the main IT guy downloaded somewhere, but it caused more problems than it was worth.
I guess its a matter of what makes you feel comfortable. Me? I'll stay with Norton 2012.
Olympus C5050Z P/S
Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro
Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S ED VR II
Kenco 1.4 Teleplus Pro 300 DGX
Nikon 105mm Micro 1:4 AI
Nikon 60mm Micro F:2.8 D AF-S
Nikon AF 28-80mm 1:3 3.5-5.6 G
Nikon 55-200mm F:4-5.6 G VR DX AF-S ED

georgepats-daily-diary-digital-delight-2014-a.html

georgepats-daily-diary-digital-delight.html

spiders-spiders-more-spiders.html
Georgepat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011   #4
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 95123

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfd View Post
Jim, I have tried Norton before and experienced numerous crashes pc slowdowns etc. I am now using free Avast and it has not yet let me down.
I agree with what Wolf said.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/evensky/
capshook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011   #5
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 501383

I agree with Georgepat. Some free downloaded products are good, like Irvanview image viewer and editor. Most are not backed up with the extensive research and experience that Norton has.
Jim Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011   #6
Marvin (aka Heinz)

CamelKarma: 348868
Editing OK?: Ask First

I used to have Norton.. but a few years ago I dropped it because like everyone said, it was nothing but trouble.. and it was a systems HOG! I have since used Avast and it is wonderful, runs in the background, barely uses any resources, does not scream and cry everytime something happens, loads quickly, updates are unnoticeable and provides all kinds of protection (p2p, gaming, etc)

Canon 7d, 100L macro, 50 1.8, CANON 15-85/3.5-5.6 IS EF-S USM, CANON 70-200/4 L USM, Sigma 150-500 DG OS HSM

http://500px.com/Hkphotography

http://www.facebook.com/heinz.tervoert
meinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011   #7
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1091466

I use MAC so Norton is a non issue. In my Windows days I quickly dumped Norton and McAfee as resource hogs. Trend Micro made a good product that was not a resource hog as does Kaspersky.

Now I have Sophos on my MAC to keep me from passing on to all you windows users those nasty creepy crawlies that affect your systems and keep the phishing tools out of mine.

Sophos had been great on my MAC, don't have any experience with the Windows version.

I can honestly say that there are two most remarkable men in the world today. Michio Kaku is one and I am the other one. Between us we cover all knowledge.

Kaku knows all that can be known....And I know the rest.

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today?
Today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda
gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011   #8
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 199623261

Quote:
Originally Posted by meinster View Post
I used to have Norton.. but a few years ago I dropped it because like everyone said, it was nothing but trouble.. and it was a systems HOG! I have since used Avast and it is wonderful, runs in the background, barely uses any resources, does not scream and cry everytime something happens, loads quickly, updates are unnoticeable and provides all kinds of protection (p2p, gaming, etc)
I agree about Avast being an excellent program, Heinz. It uses way less resources that Norton or even AVG (which is also free . I have bought numerous pc's and laptops over the years and a good number of them came preloaded with Norton. The first thing I do when I get home is dump / uninstall Norton and there is usually a noticeable improvement in in the new pc's responsiveness.
Old 12-15-2011   #9
Llama

CamelKarma: 33121
Editing OK?: Ask first

Another dissatisfied Norton user. I switched to AVG for 2 years and now use MS Security Essentials with no ill effects (knocking on wood).

“Light makes photography. Embrace the light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography.” ---George Eastman
Naturalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011   #10
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 295
Editing OK?: No

I used Norton many years ago, and it was a total system hog, although since the 2011 release, I think, it seems they've solved that particular problem, at least on relatively recent systems. I've heard good things about Avast and a few others, but I changed to Kaspersky about 3yrs ago and have been VERY happy with it.

Stuff to take pictures with: Canon XSi and 7D bodies, Canon 50mm f1.4, 70-200mm f2.8, Tokina 11-16mm f2.8, Tamron 11-18mm f4.5, a couple of kit lenses I don't use any more, plus all the other assorted "stuff" us camera types tend to collect over the years!
Stuff to edit pictures with: Win7 Pro 64Bit, DxO Optics Pro, Photoshop CS5 + assorted plug-ins, Wacom Tablet, HP (IPS) monitor, plus all the other assorted "stuff" us computer types tend to collect over the years!
Paul F is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: