Norton 2012 - does anybody care at this point? - Page 3
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2011   #21
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 1459606
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Norton 2012 - does anybody care at this point?

Norton itself is much worse than most viruses/worms/trojans these days. it's in your face with multiple windows and popups and spawns numerous services, and spikes it's way so deep into your registry its tough to uninstall.

I use Avast, it's small, simple clean, you do'nt have to worry about it, it doesn't have UI to dick around with. It's free and it updates itself whenever new definitions come out. It's lightweight and doesn't decrease system performance. And it works. it's gone off a few times warning me about worms in bad websites I tried to visit.

Josh
jgunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011   #22
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 1258
Editing OK?: Yes

I downloaded Avest on my 4th PC. It says it's only a 30 day free trial. Did I download the wrong version?

Nikon D750, Olympus E-PL1, Panasonic GX7, Topaz Bundle, NIK Bundle, PS, PSE, & 50 Year's of inventory.

www.flickr.com/photos/rlda1336/
BOB DA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011   #23
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 1033
Editing OK?: Ask First

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
When you uninstall the Norton, don't just rely on Windows, or the program itself to do it, you'll be left with "fragments" of the program in the system registry and elsewhere that could cause serious problems later on, especially if you're installing a different antivirus/internet security suite.

You need to remove every trace of the program from the computer, and that can be difficult to say the least.
That's pretty pathetic that uninstalling doesn't really uninstall. Why is it so easy for software makers to insert stuff into your system but so difficult for them to remove the same stuff they inserted?

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: