Norton 2012 - does anybody care at this point? - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2011   #11
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 1258
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Norton 2012 - does anybody care at this point?

Thanks for the discussion on Avast. I use Norton on 3 PC's. I'll try Avast on my 4th which uses XP. You're all correct in that Norton is a resource hog. I get constant reminders that I'm running out of memory and I freeze up more frequently since I installed it---occasionly when making a 'Quick Reply' in this website.

Nikon D750, Olympus E-PL1, Panasonic GX7, Topaz Bundle, NIK Bundle, PS, PSE, & 50 Year's of inventory.

www.flickr.com/photos/rlda1336/
BOB DA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011   #12
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 295
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB DA View Post
Thanks for the discussion on Avast. I use Norton on 3 PC's. I'll try Avast on my 4th which uses XP. You're all correct in that Norton is a resource hog. I get constant reminders that I'm running out of memory and I freeze up more frequently since I installed it---occasionly when making a 'Quick Reply' in this website.
When you uninstall the Norton, don't just rely on Windows, or the program itself to do it, you'll be left with "fragments" of the program in the system registry and elsewhere that could cause serious problems later on, especially if you're installing a different antivirus/internet security suite.

You need to remove every trace of the program from the computer, and that can be difficult to say the least. Norton themselves have an uninstaller which is designed to completely remove a broken or corrupted installation... so that you can re-install it again! You can find the Norton uninstaller here https://www-secure.symantec.com/nort...=1&pvid=f-home

But before you run the Norton tool above, I'd suggetst you read the two following articles and then decide on what to do; How can I fully remove Norton Antivirus from my system? :: Online Tech Support Help :: Ask Dave Taylor! and this How the $#@$# do I fully remove Norton from my PC? :: Online Tech Support Help :: Ask Dave Taylor!

Alternatively, the simplest, and most straightforward method of getting rid of Norton, or any other antivirus/internet security suite for that matter, is to simply nuke the drive and start again!

If you're willing to pay for your security suite I'd obviously recommend the Kaspersky as I use it myself, but I've also heard REALLY good things about NOD32 by eset.

Good luck!
Paul
Stuff to take pictures with: Canon XSi and 7D bodies, Canon 50mm f1.4, 70-200mm f2.8, Tokina 11-16mm f2.8, Tamron 11-18mm f4.5, a couple of kit lenses I don't use any more, plus all the other assorted "stuff" us camera types tend to collect over the years!
Stuff to edit pictures with: Win7 Pro 64Bit, DxO Optics Pro, Photoshop CS5 + assorted plug-ins, Wacom Tablet, HP (IPS) monitor, plus all the other assorted "stuff" us computer types tend to collect over the years!
Paul F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011   #13
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 199623261

Yes that's correct, Paul. I forgot to mention that part. I had to download that Symantec uninstaller to completely remove all traces of Norton AntiVirus from my machines.
Old 12-16-2011   #14
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 13655016

Days past I was certainly no fan of Nortons, however now it is offered free to Comcast users and free is a powerfull word. Anyway no current problems with it and I have it installed on several machines at home.
Old 12-17-2011   #15
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 7324142
Editing OK?: Ask First

I use nothing but Eset Smart Security 5 or as a backup I also recommend is Kaspersky
nothing else no norton,no mcafee,no avg etc..

Even at the corporate level we use Eset
_Provo_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011   #16
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 1148

ANOTHER satisfied Avast user!

It was suggested by a friend who is a techie (that sounds SO much better than computer genius and criminal hacker!).

I know Norton is big (in my area anyway) with corporate and local government IT pros, and it suggested by them. ON THE SURFACE one would think that in itself was a good recommendation but I'm not so sure. I'm not sure NC State government IT people are that swift anyway-we have to leave Internet Explorer TWO VERSIONS BACK on our machines to use some of the State programs

There is SURELY a love affair between the IT guys and Norton-
Every time they interact with our workstations they change the homepage back to Norton's homepage(!)

WHAT GEEKS!

Even if it's automatic and they are uncaring enough to leave it, that's pretty arrogant on Norton's part.

If it's not automatic, and the IT guys are doing it on their own, then they need to step back, take a breath, and discover a woman or something...
David from NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011   #17
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 136159
Editing OK?: Ask first

A decade ago, Norton and McAffee seemed to be the standard. I was a Norton user but it was a huge system hog as others have noted. I've been using Trend Micro for the last three years and have been very happy.
TTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011   #18
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 538838

I havent ran a virus scanner on my pc in over 10 years. But I am a creature of habit. I make sure my settings are secure (mostly active X) and go to the same sites over and over again. I also know what types of files to not click on. I just found they slowed my system down, since everything went through the scanner.
Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011   #19
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 3416357
Editing OK?: Ask First

MS Security Essentials here on several Windows machines. Have used Avast in the past with success too. Also there is a Mac here. OS X has a rudimentary built in signature based AV.
Ron Scubadiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011   #20
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 30
Editing OK?: Ask first

Norton is not the sharpest tool in the shed to use for PC security. AVG's security suite is faster and does a far better job than Norton. I had a client loose all their data because something got by Norton. Norton was patched and up to date, the computer was patched and up to date and still something got by.

All of the other systems I maintain run AVG and have never had data loss or infection and those systems are ran by Joe Average Users.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: