Who is using an i7?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2011   #1
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 2121022
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Who is using an i7?

Are the i7 chips worth getting over, say, an Intel quad core?

JDArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011   #2
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 902
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default Re: Who is using an i7?

Without getting into the technical aspects, the i7 is a quad core processor.
wiseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011   #3
senses working overtime

CamelKarma: 402002

Still on a Q6600 here (quad core "core 2 quad" - if that makes sense...). Easy to gently overclock and seems fast enough for now. Sandy Bridge chipset looks tempting if I move to i7. Finding what I have is fast enough for now though when doing video and photo editing type stuff (not much of a gamer). Compatible Nvidia GPU makes more of a difference with editing than CPU with CS5 software.
Paul Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011   #4
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 7602

It always depends what you're doing -- for Photoshop, it's easy to find results for the Retouch Artists Photoshop benchmark on different systems. This is what I got when searching for "core i7 retouch artists":

AMD Phenom II X4 940 & 920: A True Return to Competition - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

A nice comparison of different systems using CS4.

Of course you can get more complex than this, looking at the type of memory you have, how much of it, and all that. But this is a decent starting point.

For me making a decision in Jan 2010, the Core i7 and the attendant higher costs of the motherboard and RAM wasn't worth it for the slightly better benchmark numbers, so I got a 2.83GHz Core 2 Quad and it still performs great in Photoshop and Bridge for standard portrait retouching work.
Old 03-29-2011   #5
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 901196
Editing OK?: Ask First

honestly if your current system is good why mend it if it aint broke ?

Is a ferrari monze better than a fiat panda ?
no, the first one you will have to control the richt foot (gaspedal ) , both cars can get you where you want to go.

Remember this :

the fastest pc on earth will no longer be the fastest pc on earth , every day new models are comming out.

Do not knw your specs but memorry does even more count as core's

so if you are still happy do not move stay put , else see if there is a possibilty to put in more memorry , clean up all the programs you do nut need , keep your disk at top perfoming level
Old 03-30-2011   #6
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 783595

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
Is a ferrari monze better than a fiat panda ?
Uhm, yes, yes it is. The monza was awesome. It's better without an engine than a fiat anything (except for maybe some of their WWII planes).

I'll take a pagani zonda any day over my car. One of the road versions, anyway.

stef@apl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011   #7
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 12139

I made Intel chips for the past 5 years in Hillsboro, OR. Fortunately for me one of their employee perks is a free processor of choice each year. I have a fast dual core running in my desktop, a quad core still sitting in a box in my drawer & an I3 in my iMac 21.5" running at 3.0 mhz. I don't need to dim the lights every time I boot my computers. I've got 16 gig of RAM in my iMac that zips me along just fine thank you.

Nikon D7000, D800, Sony Alpha NEX-5N
bobmielke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011   #8
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 24

The I7 Quad Core is a great processor for Photoshop CS5 and DXO users. I have a I7-920 O/C to 3.8 Ghz with 12 GB of ram in my main computer and a dual core in my secondary. The difference is like night and day. I would recommend that if you can't use a latest generation SSD that you try the Seagate XT Momentous HD. Very impressive improvement in HD technology to go with your I7. For $99.00 USD for 500GB with a 4GB intergrated SSD is hard to beat.
Paul

Dogs have masters
Cats have staff!
sjprg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011   #9
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 4363
Editing OK?: No

I have upgraded from the Q6600 to an i7, yup, it is speedier as you might expect. But I had too upgrade the mobo and ram because as you would know, the cpu wasn't compatible with the old mobo
Old 05-11-2011   #10
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 7045525

I have a Q6600 and an quad i5 760 sitting side by side. The i5 is roughly 50% faster than the Q6600. From the research I did, there wasn't a big gain from the i5 to the i7 without spending major $$$. The i5 machine with 8GB RAM on W7x64 has done well. I upgraded the machine this winter from an E6600 with 2GB. That motherboard would not handle quad core chips.

FWIW, my speed comparison is purely CPU based on a multithreaded MP3 conversion program I use - not an all-inclusive benchmark.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: