Composite maker
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2011   #1
Lubbock, Tx.

CamelKarma: 307172
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Composite maker

Do any of you use some sort of a class composite maker?

I've used Contact Sheet feature in PS before, but I'm looking for something with more flexibility.

Old 02-08-2011   #2
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 396
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Composite maker

what about a print template in LR3?
dhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011   #3
Lubbock, Tx.

Im unfamiliar with it.
Is it something you create from scratch? or a feature?
Old 02-08-2011   #4
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1206139

Wow. I'm so used to Mark being the go-to guy, its different seeing him as the question asker. Of course it would have to be a really difficult question he asks. I got nothing. I dabbled a little bit with a 16X20 matte in PS once. I divided the thing up into a matrix of evenly sized, evenly spaced boxes, about an eighth inch smaller than 4X5 with the eighth inch being a border around each. Then I picked blocks that eventually were knocked out to accommodate different sizes at different places on the "grid". I then removed the squares making windows. Beveled them like a matte cutout. The images were separate layers and arranged behind the matte.

That composite looks like much the same thing, a layer made of a matrix of windows or holes. The a block of them in the middle where the crest and such was placed "over" some of them. A little math was used to take down the row with the sweetheart and mascot and center the two "odd ball" windows in the space remaining. It would take a bit of doing to align, center and size the name fields beneath each window.

Figuring out how to do that with any sort of automation would be beyond me. The only approach I could take would be asking, "how would I do this with paper" then applying that to what little I know about image editing.

Steve

Facebook

Camel Equine Group

My Equine Album

Fireworks Album

Steven G Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011   #5
Lubbock, Tx.

Steve,
Photoshop's contact sheet maker works quite nicely, but I want more ummppfff....more features....something MADE for creating composites.
More and more of the schools we do are asking for them, and, honestly, they're a pain to make.
Old 02-09-2011   #6
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1206139

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McCall View Post
Steve,
Photoshop's contact sheet maker works quite nicely, but I want more ummppfff....more features....something MADE for creating composites.
More and more of the schools we do are asking for them, and, honestly, they're a pain to make.
I can see where they could be a pain. Sorry I didn't have a really good suggestion. Thought just maybe a simple idea might spark something. My high school has composites going back to the 50's through present. My class was probably one of the last that actually has a cut matte with what amounts to wallet sized prints actually mounted behind it. There has to be a classy looking way to produce these things that has that omph you're describing. Where do the big boys (LifeTouch, Nat'l and Balfour) have them done?
Steve

Facebook

Camel Equine Group

My Equine Album

Fireworks Album

Steven G Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011   #7
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 396

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McCall View Post
Im unfamiliar with it.
Is it something you create from scratch? or a feature?
you can adjust one of the supplied templates or make your own. Lightroom is pretty cool in that you can make the cells any size and move them around where you want them.
dhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011   #8
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 7602

I found this screencast video of Lightroom 3 print templates (I wasn't familiar with that) to be helpful: Created by Camtasia Studio 7

This doesn't look at smooth as it could be for doing composites like you show though. You can align images pretty easily, but it still looks pretty tedious.

Mark, it looks like the features you'd want ideally would be:
* easy to set up the right number of images and fiddle with the size and layout
* easy to enter the names and optional titles (e.g. Treasurer) and have them centered

and then more "ummpph" (spelling?) as you said, I suppose you mean more design features specifically for composites. Any ideas what those might be?
Old 03-01-2011   #9
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 7602

Mark, I was at WPPI last week and at the trade show I noticed a company PhotoLynx selling various composite and school-oriented software. Not at all sure what quality it is, but it does look like it's software made for the purpose.
Old 03-02-2011   #10
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 290264

Can't help ya with your question...but your avatar brought a big grin to my face!

R. House is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: