Wacom Bamboo Pen & Touch
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2010   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 1701
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Wacom Bamboo Pen & Touch

Wacom Bamboo Pen & Touch (4.9" x 3.4" Active Touch Area and 5.8" x 3.6" Active Pen Area), USB Tablet (CTH460)

What do you think of it. Good bad or other. Under $100 not a bad deal.

Old 12-14-2010   #2
Llama

CamelKarma: 197661
Default Re: Wacom Bamboo Pen & Touch

?
What about it?
nasoj21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010   #3
Vicuna

Dose it work as well as some others. I am trying to decide if this is a good choice. There is also a cheaper one that dose not have as many pressure points and it not a touch. This would be my first pen and tablet. Just seeing if anybody has a comment good or bad.
0ldsch00ld0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010   #4
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 127808
Editing OK?: Ask first

One of my employees has a tennis elbow problem right now that is inflamed when using his mouse for several hours. At leasat thats what his doctor is telling him. I'm thinking this may be a good relief for that problem. Has anyone else used a tablet for this reason?
Dave R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010   #5
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 16585

I have it. I use Photoshop daily, but use the mouse a lot, so the pad is only used occasionally. If I were a regular user, I would probably go to the next level up. For the occasional user, its probably adequate.

I don't like the touch function at all... the responsiveness is to quirky for me.
rob61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010   #6
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 31196913
Editing OK?: No

Does it work as well as an Intuos 4 tablet? No. There's a reason that the same company makes more expensive versions of the tablet. I'm using an Intuos 4 and really enjoy the versatility offered. The Bamboo line, doesn't offer the pressure sensitivity that the more expensive line offers, so you'd be missing out on the ability to use that feature of Photoshop. If you're not using Photoshop CS or Corel Draw or other similar program that takes advantage of pressure sensitivity for the brush strokes, then the Bamboo will do an adequate job.
Old 12-14-2010   #7
Vicuna

So it will not have any pressure sensitivity in PS. There website says
"
Tablet Dimensions (WxH) 9.8" x 6.9" (249mm x 175mm)
Active Area - Touch (WxH) 4.9" x 3.4" (124mm x 86mm)
Active Area - Pen (WxH) 5.8" x 3.6" (147mm x 91mm)
Pressure Levels 1024
Resolution 2540 lpi
Max Data Rate 133 pps
Accuracy +/- .02 in (+/- 0.5 mm)
"
Is it a PS thing that it dose not use this ability ? or is just not as accurate as the top models. I know this is just the entry level tablet, but is has to be better then a mouse for some things.
0ldsch00ld0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010   #8
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 31196913
Editing OK?: No

It has LESS sensitivity, and not nearly as smooth to use. Additionally, the bigger brother units offer additional programmable buttons and dials that the less expensive units will offer. Yes, it's an entry level unit and will likely be better than a mouse for use as an editing tool. My Intuos isn't as good as a Cintaq either, but we buy what we can afford. I was simply replying to your question if it was as good as the others.

I've never used a Bamboo, so I can't be more specific than what the specs will tell you.

I can tell you that the best way to learn a tablet is to install it and put your mouse in the drawer for 2 weeks and use nothing but the tablet. Awkward at first, but then becomes intuitive and preferable to your mouse for all but gaming.
Old 12-14-2010   #9
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 606787

I have one. It has pressure sensitivity in PS just not as much as the Intuos 4.
It gives me MUCH better control than my mouse did. I can do things I was not able to do before.
It is not meant for pros.

I use it all the time now instead of a mouse in almost everything.

I also like being able to take notes or write and convert my notes to digital. Saves a bunch of time on conference calls. I no longer have to type up notes after the call and send them out. Now I just edit my notes and send.

Keith

http://www.keithfosterphotography.com/
keithdewey3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010   #10
Vicuna

Thanks. I will try this one and post hear my experience. Wont have it until after Christmas.
Cheers

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic:

Tags
bamboo, cth460, wacom