Savage Digital Background Programs.
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2010   #1
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 5883
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Savage Digital Background Programs.

I recently split the cost with another photographer on a digital background program made by the company Savage. I tried it out and here's my two cents.

1) The disc isn't really a program. All it is, is several backgrounds (depending on which kind of background disc you buy) and a few video tutorials on how to use it using Photoshop.

2) The Tutorials are somewhat vague and very basic. There are a few good tips on some techniques (if you don't already know them). But they only really tell you a few things and should show you a lot more to get a digital background to look remotely real.

3) The Backgrounds themselves are not really that great. I got the Old World Muslin Series. All the backgrounds are 8X10 Inches at 300PPI, but here is where there is a big problem. Most of muslin backgrounds look like they were shot very close up. So close up, it looks like they only shot part of the background. You can actually see the fibers of the muslin. It's like they shot part of it from 4 feet away.

Grant it, I'm not a expert at using digital backgrounds, however I have shot backgrounds and used them digitally and the backgrounds I shot looked better than these. My opinion is, don't waste you money. Instead, make the same program with better backgrounds and maybe you can make some cash off it.

Yoda

My Shop: http://www.zibbet.com/TFlynnPhotography

My Flickr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tflynnphoto/
12step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010   #2
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 6548
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Savage Digital Background Programs.

Thanks for the heads up. I have been playing around a bit with digital backgrounds and looking for some that are quality. Still trying to figure out how to insert without getting the halo though. Good to have your insight on this product. Thanks.

There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer. ~Ansel Adams
MDPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010   #3
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 5883

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDPhoto View Post
Thanks for the heads up. I have been playing around a bit with digital backgrounds and looking for some that are quality. Still trying to figure out how to insert without getting the halo though. Good to have your insight on this product. Thanks.

I solve that the long and hard way. Clone and blur tool, sometimes burn. I don't have a green screen, but if I find a bed sheet on sale with the correct color I may get it.

I think you would be better off hunting Craigslist for deals on used muslin backgrounds and build up a modest collection and simply shoot it the old fashioned way.

My Shop: http://www.zibbet.com/TFlynnPhotography

My Flickr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tflynnphoto/
12step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010   #4
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1206139

Thanks for the heads up.

Steve

Facebook

Camel Equine Group

My Equine Album

Fireworks Album

Steven G Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010   #5
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 300223

You can create your own in Photoshop (or Corel Painter). Especially Old Masters type. Easy to do. Just paint some soft blobs with a vignette and do a gaussian blur to taste. Don't waste money on Old Masters digital backgrounds. It only takes a little experimentation, but to spend money on that kind of background for digital replacement is not for me. I can recreate pretty much any Old Masters background in Photoshop with a very little bit of effort. Try it! You may just surprise yourself.

But if you don't feel it's your cup of tea, pay for them at whatever dealer you can find.
Old 12-06-2010   #6
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 7602

12step, you mentioned not having a green background (chromakey). Do you have a white background? I've seen a couple of threads hereabouts where Benji and others talk about using a white screen for background replacement without the potential for color cast problems from the chromakey. I haven't gotten to trying it out, but if you are in a position to do that I would recommend searching the forums.
Old 12-06-2010   #7
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 606787

Thanks 12!
I was just doing some looking for a digital background for a wedding dress shoot I did this past Saturday. I was thinking of trying it out but it sounds like I would be better off just trying some variations on my own.

Keith

http://www.keithfosterphotography.com/
keithdewey3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010   #8
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 104888

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVE PROUTY View Post

I can recreate pretty much any Old Masters background in Photoshop with a very little bit of effort. Try it! You may just surprise yourself.

Dave,

If you feel up to it, create a Lord Nelson Backdrop for me, please. I can't find them in stores any more.
kgphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010   #9
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 104888

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12step View Post
I don't have a green screen, but if I find a bed sheet on sale with the correct color I may get it.

Green screen backgrounds are available for much less than a bedsheet now.
kgphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010   #10
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 300223

OK!

Having never seen a Lord Nelson background I had to Google it and find something to go by. I may not have hit it squarely on the head, but here's my shot at it.

This is obviously a small version for posting.

How'd I do for a twenty minute attempt?

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: