2 Terabytes for $79
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2010   #1
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 2121022
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default 2 Terabytes for $79

Promo code SAMSUNG222 gets you a 2 TB Samsung drive at newegg.

Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F4 HD204UI 2TB 5400 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

JDArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010   #2
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: 2 Terabytes for $79

too bad its a 5400
ouscubagrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010   #3
Camel Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouscubagrad View Post
too bad its a 5400
It is. But for a server drive, I find it to be just fine.
Old 11-22-2010   #4
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 92951

Remarkable! I've told my son I can remember spending $1,500 for a 300MB SCSI to put in a server. Of course the server was a monster with a 386 processor and 4MB of ram! Guess I'm a dinosaur.

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer!
LibertyHeir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010   #5
Camel Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyHeir View Post
Remarkable! I've told my son I can remember spending $1,500 for a 300MB SCSI to put in a server. Of course the server was a monster with a 386 processor and 4MB of ram! Guess I'm a dinosaur.
LOL. The first computer I bought was an XT, and the 20 Megabyte hard drive was a $1,100 option!

The crazy thing is: I BOUGHT IT!

Old 11-23-2010   #6
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 92484
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyHeir View Post
Dinosaur? Hah! I remember the very first hard disk available for the IBM PC - it was a 5 MEGABYTE "Winchester", as they called them back then. You could have one shipped right to your door for just $4995.00.

My first PC was a TRS-80 from Radio Shack in 1977 or thereabouts. 16K of RAM, a 40 column black and white screen, and a cassette tape interface. No floppy, no hard disk, and a Z-80 chip running at about 1/10th of a megaHertz.
JimInJersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010   #7
Camel Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimInJersey View Post
My first PC was a TRS-80 from Radio Shack in 1977 or thereabouts. 16K of RAM, a 40 column black and white screen, and a cassette tape interface. No floppy, no hard disk, and a Z-80 chip running at about 1/10th of a megaHertz.
And what did you do with it--both when you used it and subsequently?
Old 11-24-2010   #8
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 937083
Editing OK?: Ask First

My Trash-80 became a great paperweight
Mira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010   #9
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 92484
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDArt View Post
And what did you do with it--both when you used it and subsequently?
It came with what was called "RS Level II Basic" - I taught myself how to program a little bit with it, there was also a RAM-based database program that I used to track real estate sales and other stuff like that. You loaded the program and data off a cassette tape each time you used it.

I used the machine for about two years or so, if I remember, then I gave it to a friend of mine and he played with it for about another half dozen years.

I bought my next PC in the mid-80s, it was a PC's Limited (e.g. Dell) AT-class machine running an Intel 80286 at 12mHz, which back then was a real speed demon. The IBM AT using the same chip ran at 6 mHz. I think I splurged and got a Megabyte of RAM. Those were the days when you could create a "ram disk" in memory above the 640K line (boy, does anyone remember THAT?...). Running MS-DOS 2.something. This was just before the IBM PS/2 came out with VGA displays , which changed the rules in terms of graphics. Prior to the 256-color VGA, you had just 16 colors.

I believe I paid about $3,000 for the PC's Limited.
JimInJersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010   #10
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 21

This same PC-Limited machine was my second computer, replacing my original VIC-20 from Commodore. The VIC-20 stored programs and data on cassette tapes, so the 20 MB drive on the PC-limited was unbelievable.

Today, I store my images on two 2TB WD MyBook drives. Each unit has two independent 1TB drives that are set up as a RAID. Thus, each photo image gets saved twice, once on each of the twined 1TB drives. If one of the drives crashes, then I've always got the other. And of course, I'm paranoid about losing my photos, so I have the 2TB drive mirrored at another physical location. I'm a big fan of redundant saving and I would only consider putting my images on a single 2 TB drive if I had a way of duplicating the storage. Saving money is always second to saving my images.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: