Should I make the switch?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2010   #1
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 5883
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Should I make the switch?

Should I go ahead and make the switch from PC to Mac? It seems like the younger generation insists that Macs are superior for post processing. But it also seems like people use them primarily for graphic design. Can someone who has switched from PC to Mac please tell me the advantages?

Yoda

My Shop: http://www.zibbet.com/TFlynnPhotography

My Flickr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tflynnphoto/
12step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010   #2
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1091466
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Should I make the switch?

I started on a Mac at work when they got their fist and only one to type things up on. My wife being a banker started on PC's as most of the business world used Microsoft office products. When we bought our first home computer many years ago it was a PC due to the wife's needs. Since that time with the growing range of abilities of a Mac, we now are an exclusive Mac household.

Reasons:

Our Mac's can and do run both OS X Snow Leopard and Windows and with a program like parallels you can run both side by side. We use XP as we only work in a windows environment when we need to work in publisher. We have office 2008 for Mac which includes Entourage (the mac version of Outlook) Word, Excel and Power Point. PC's don't run OS X. On a Mac you do not have to have parallels to run windows, but you can not run both OS X and windows at the same time.

You can buy and or build a PC virtually anywhere with a multitude of components of varying degrees of quality and compatibility. Windows is written to try an work with as much as possible, but covering every possibility is virtually impossible. Apple builds their machines from selected quality components and structures their operating system for those components. While it makes PC machines cheaper, it makes Mac's more stable. OS X is a Unix based system.

Mac programs have been and still are written much more compactly. They do not waste space or resources like Windows programs do. OS X is also designed to get the most out of the hardware with fewer limitations.

I can't prove this statistically, but from my experience and that of other members of my wife's family, they are all Mac users as well, Mac's seem to have a longer service life. My brother-n-law has powerbook he purchased in 2004. He is finally looking to replace it. Not that it doesn't do what he wants it do to this point and he insists that it is still as fast as the day he bought it. His need to switch stems from Apple adopting Intel processors. His has the old G4 processor and programs are now being written for Intel based Mac's.

There are many other reasons I am sure that Mac users will give, just as there are many reasons that PC users will give not to switch. The biggest reason however is this:

As for making the switch, only you can decide. Mac's are more expensive up front. I would suggest you look into the cost of switching to a Mac ans see if you want to spend what the switch costs. Mac's are very intuitive to use and make many tasks very easy to accomplish such as backups, installing and uninstalling programs etc. Good luck which ever way you decide to go.

I can honestly say that there are two most remarkable men in the world today. Michio Kaku is one and I am the other one. Between us we cover all knowledge.

Kaku knows all that can be known....And I know the rest.

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today?
Today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda
gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010   #3
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 1259
Editing OK?: Ask first

I have used Macs from back in the days of the Lisa, and I have had both at home in that time, but last year I switched over to mac only. To me the safety from Trojans, viruses, worms etc is a big factor. And I personally think the photo editing is easier and quicker with the Mac's processor. But you will get arguments the other way too. It is like the Canon/Nikon 'wars'.

"In a world of magnets and miracles"

GearList / flickr (larger sizes) / MyBlog / MyZenfolio / MyRedBubble /
LightArt
Analog6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010   #4
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 31196913
Editing OK?: No

I don't think the graphic advantage is an issue that it once was. A powerful Mac or a powerful PC running the same software (CS5) are going to be pretty much on an even keel there. There are other advantages and disadvantages to shifting from one to the other. I've been using PCs since 1986, so I will limit my comments, but I do urge you to visit the Apple forums and observe the issues that the users are discussing. Is the grass greener on the other side? Maybe, maybe not. Personally, I have no plans or desire to switch, but then I'm pretty computer savvy and don't have the headaches that many PC users run into. Maybe I'm just to old to learn new tricks
Old 09-09-2010   #5
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 558

My $.02 ...

I bought a mac book pro a year ago, and haven't regretted it one jot. In fact, I wish I'd switched sooner.
I will also be buying an iMac, and going all mac - not planning to go back.

The advantages for me, are a combination of shallow, cosmetic concerns and performance.

I love the way they look (they're works of art ... jmo, and not a reason to switch)
Within 15 minutes of getting the mbp out of the box, I was sitting on the sofa, surfing the internet.
The keyboard is better than those on my old PCs and laptops (that may depend on brand, however). In other words, it's a joy to type on.
I have had so few issues over the past year, that I can barely remember any of them. Compared with this, I had loads of issues on Windows, that I felt, prevented me from being as productive as I wanted to be, and actually caused a great deal of frustration, despite knowing my way around a computer.

HOWEVER (and this is most important)...

A friend of mine recently bought a mac, and hasn't used it. It obviously isn't quite "right" for her, so why on earth she persists, I don't know. She's losing valuable time that she could be spending taking photographs.
In other words, whatever you use, should the best for you.

Someone earlier in the thread likened the mac/windows dilemma to the nikon/canon wars. Very true.

But, being a photographer, you will well know, that the best camera, is the one that "feels" right, and produces the results you want, with a minimum of frustration.

Other considerations:
Macs can be more expensive to buy, and certainly more expensive to repair, should you need to repair it. Alternatively, you could buy a PC set-up which has great power, and a sensational screen, for much less, and spend the extra dosh on a good lens.
(oh, and don't consider buying a Mac without Apple Care).

These are just my opinions, and of course, others will disagree, which is healthy, and beneficial for you, as it will be more informative.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide.
Old 09-09-2010   #6
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 497479

To the original poster,

did you make the switch?

If not, consider that the advantages of the Mac are more in the handling than on paper. Although the Mac has its share of annoyances, I find them far less irking than the crap Microsoft and its OEM forced on me.

Try it out, and if it feels different better or no worse, the Mac is for you. If you wish to through it through the next window inside three minutes, stay with Windows.

Korman
korman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010   #7
Llama

CamelKarma: 3357

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12step View Post
Should I go ahead and make the switch from PC to Mac? It seems like the younger generation insists that Macs are superior for post processing. But it also seems like people use them primarily for graphic design. Can someone who has switched from PC to Mac please tell me the advantages?

The only advantage to having a Mac are the nice dudes at the Genius bars at every Apple store to help you out with ever problem you get while on your Mac. PC users generally need to be more savvy about their machines or go through crappy support (IE Dell).

There is absolutely nothing a Mac can do that a PC can't do. The same can be said vice versa. It is purely about the user experience of which Operating System you are more comfortable using.

Flickr
kewk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010   #8
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 1997
Editing OK?: Ask first

I use both and Service both by profession, i'm certified on hardware repair on both also..
I've been using Windows since Windows 3.1 and Macs since OS 8.0..
I have to say imho.. Macs will cost you less in the long run, even if you remove the need to renew your antivirus/spyware apps every year or even use the free one's out there, they still slow down the windows system regardless how powerful the machine,
Also the fact that a virus or malware/spyware don't always stop your computer from getting infected is worrying..
Mac hardware can be expensive to replace, but when it comes down to repairing a screwed up operating system without reinstalling the whole system a Mac can be repaired in an hour or two, a Windows system can take 5 or 6 times that amount of time to repair it satisfactory without losing information..

Thanks for reading..

Robbie.
Old 09-09-2010   #9
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 497479

Quote:
Originally Posted by kewk View Post
There is absolutely nothing a Mac can do that a PC can't do. The same can be said vice versa. It is purely about the user experience of which Operating System you are more comfortable using.
And this is exactly the point that Apple understands and Microsoft and the Dells, HPs etc don't get. The user experience is the most important part. A clumsy feature that you can't be bothered to use or that drives you to insanity is worthless. And a well though out system with half the functions is far superior to any awful feature monsters.

Korman
korman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010   #10
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 87509

+1 on Macs. They are easier to understand. When things go wrong there aren't registries to worry about. However, if you are comfortable with PCs and don't want to reinvest in software stay with PCs.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: