Should I make the switch? - Page 5
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2010   #41
Llama

CamelKarma: 36120
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Should I make the switch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryphonslair99 View Post
Except my "designer jeans" will run both Mac and PC software including the ever beloved Windblowz in it's various buggy versions. How well does that PC run Snow Leopard and Mac only software?

A Pinto and a Porsche are both 4 wheel automobiles, but driving my Porsche from Apple is sure a lot sweeter than the rides I have had for years from my Microsoft Pintos.
The pinto/porsche analogy is good, but it doesn't go far enough. It would be more like this. You get in your porsche, start it and you're off to where ever you're going. That's it, it just works.

But with the pinto, you first have to find someone who can help you jump start it. Then once it's running, you have someone standing there, asking if you have a driver's license, and do you have insurance before you can get in the car. Once you satisfy those requirements, once you get in, you realize, the first thing you have to do is get gas. You pull up to fill it with gas, and guess what, it's only takes leaded gas. Wait for it........this station doesn't have leaded. You have to go to another gas station. Or another one or another until you finally find one that carries leaded. At which point, the car stalls, and now you have to re-jump start it. But guess what? You don't have jumper cables. And neither does the person who came to help you. But as luck would have it, there's a car supply store close by. So you get the cables, jump the car, and in a flash you're on your way.

You're driving along, and you see the sign for your exit, but not so fast. There's an official there, stopping traffic. And when you pull up he asks you questions, and depending on how you answer, he'll direct you where to go. But the problem is, he's talking in some foreign language you can't understand. On top of which, you can't back up, you HAVE to answer. So you do, and he directs you, to the right. Once you make the right, you realize, it's not where you wanted to go. Wait for it...... you've never been here before, and you don't know where you are, or how to get where you want to go either. So you pull over, and decide to get your map out and figure things out. You realize you don't know where to go next. But rest easy....... it's at that exact moment that the car stalls. You don't have to worry about going anywhere.

Now you have all the time in the world to think about weather all the frustration is really worth going through to get done whatever you went to the computer for. It's also at this time, at least for me, where the few hundred dollar premium is soooooooo worth it.

Nikon D800, D5500 IR 590nm, D50
nu2scene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010   #42
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1091466
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by m332720 View Post
If Apple did not write there OS the way they do OS X 10. Would run just fine on my home made Windows box. If I want to run a Mac OS I have to hack it to get it to recognize the hardware. Kind of a PITA to run a OS I don't really care for.

PS I have to ask why is it that the Mac users are always the ones who start calling names.."winblowz"?

Well I started playing with computers it was with Frotran 77 & Cobol 1974. Ahh the good old days of punch card programing.

Worked in Unix, Linux, AIX, IRIX, SOLARIS, DOS, Every version of Windows and Almost every version of Apple OS since 1.0.

The development of Windows by far has been the most complicated, buggy, over-reaching system I have ever worked with. When it comes down to function it "blowz." It is the computer version of California Emission Controls. To Much Junk for too little value.

Hardware is hardware. The only difference between a Mac and a PC is the OS on it. The hardware is the same. Mac OS is built for a specific parameter of hardware.

Windows is written to try and work with anything you stick in the machine whether it is decent hardware or the biggest pile of cow flop on a hot steamy summers day.

When you are coding to try and cover the entire known and unknown computer universe you are going to have bloated buggy code. It's the nature of the beast.

In my old age I like sitting down to my machine and working every time, all the time and I no longer want to work the system. For me the few extra dollars is worth it to sit down to a machine that meets those standards for me, my non technical wife, the kids and in a few years the new grand daughter.

One of the best analogies I ever heard anyone say about Microsoft is that it is the Pinky and the Brain of the computer world. It was a very good friend, from college who works for Microsoft that told me this.

P.S. i still DOS. It was a good system, just not user friendly for the masses.

I can honestly say that there are two most remarkable men in the world today. Michio Kaku is one and I am the other one. Between us we cover all knowledge.

Kaku knows all that can be known....And I know the rest.

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today?
Today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda
gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010   #43
Llama

CamelKarma: 3357

Quote:
Adobe doesn't seem to think so. Windows 7 and Adobe products

I didn't find a page like this for Mac installations.
Quote:
"Adobe has tested Adobe Creative Suite 4 and Adobe Creative Suite 3 with Microsoft Windows 7. Although Creative Suite products and components prior to CS3 may perform as expected, there might be issues that might affect the installation or use of your Creative Suite product. These versions were not included in our testing efforts because they were designed, tested, and released several years before Windows 7 became available. Because these versions were not tested, they are not supported by Technical Support. For a list of documents on issues that we discovered with Creative Suite 3 or 4, please see the technical issues section below."

It's called CYA. But grats on taking it completely out of context to support your claims. Your desperation is a clear sign of fear and weakness.

You didn't find a similar page because you never looked. I can find them all day long. Also I would attribute the super long lines at all genius bars to a lack of mac support pages. In my area genius bars are booked weeks in advance (I had several iphone issues).

Awww can't install Lightroom from CD
Lightroom Installation Issues with Snow Leopard (Mac OS 10.6)

Here were a bunch of crash issues:
Problems With Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard: Join The (Sizable?) Minority | iLounge Backstage

Nice installation error:
OSX Adobe AIR Installation Problem SOLVED | andrewapeterson.com

Tons of adobe issues listed here:
Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard compatibility table - Snow Leopard Compatibility

Flickr
kewk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010   #44
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kewk View Post
It's called CYA. But grats on taking it completely out of context to support your claims. Your desperation is a clear sign of fear and weakness.

You didn't find a similar page because you never looked. I can find them all day long. Also I would attribute the super long lines at all genius bars to a lack of mac support pages. In my area genius bars are booked weeks in advance (I had several iphone issues).

Awww can't install Lightroom from CD
Lightroom Installation Issues with Snow Leopard (Mac OS 10.6)

Here were a bunch of crash issues:
Problems With Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard: Join The (Sizable?) Minority | iLounge Backstage

Nice installation error:
OSX Adobe AIR Installation Problem SOLVED | andrewapeterson.com

Tons of adobe issues listed here:
Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard compatibility table - Snow Leopard Compatibility

Did ya read the whole article or the first paragraph?

Unexpected fonts display in Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator (Windows 7)
Adobe trials expire immediately after upgrading to Windows 7
Three cursors display in Photoshop, Bridge, and Camera Raw (Windows 7)
Preview window briefly goes black in Camera Raw (Windows 7)
Artifacts (lines, odd colors) display in rotated images in Camera Raw (Windows 7)
Error: "libagluc28.dll is missing" occurs when you open Bridge CS2 (Windows 7)
Transcoding pauses when the system goes into Sleep mode in Encore (Windows 7)

Those are just some of the windows 7 issues listed. I love the one theme that seems to be repeated in a lot of the issues, being the good old do a clean install of Windows 7.

As for looking hard you are correct. I used 1 single 4 word Google search. The only difference in the search was replacing PC with MAC. Under the Google search with PC that was the very first citation listed. Under the Mac search, an adobe URL didn't even make the front page.

As for the genius bar's, couldn't tell you, Never had an occasion to call one. Are they similar to the Microsoft help lines? I did begin to develop a fluency in other languages when I used to call Microsoft support.

Bottom line if it is a computer, it will have issues. Doesn't matter who writes the OS. Big difference between Apple and their OS and Microsoft and Windows is simple. Apple writes for end use ease of operation and satisfaction. They believe in the KISS principle. Microsoft wants to rule the computer world. (Pinky and the Brain)

Oh yeah, as for the "desperation is a clear sign of fear and weakness." I'm not the one that got my knickers all in a twist.

I can honestly say that there are two most remarkable men in the world today. Michio Kaku is one and I am the other one. Between us we cover all knowledge.

Old 09-25-2010   #45
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 2684

Quote:
Except my "designer jeans" will run both Mac and PC software including the ever beloved Windblowz in it's various buggy versions. How well does that PC run Snow Leopard and Mac only software?

A Pinto and a Porsche are both 4 wheel automobiles, but driving my Porsche from Apple is sure a lot sweeter than the rides I have had for years from my Microsoft Pintos.
My 1980 Ford Pinto was the most reliable car I have ever owned (except for the tires that came on it). It was also the cheapest to maintain, car I ever owned.

And for OSX, you can load it on a PC, but it will only work if you have OSX compatible hardware. Anything that Apple does not sell, there are no drivers for, unlike Windows. Actually, nothing is guaranteed to work on an Apple computer unless you buy it at the Apple Store.

On the other hand, I used to build servers with Linux. I would custom build the kernal with only the drivers for the hardware that was in that particular server. Most reliable servers around, but heaven help the guy who wanted to change the hardware
Old 09-25-2010   #46
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrit View Post
My 1980 Ford Pinto was the most reliable car I have ever owned (except for the tires that came on it). It was also the cheapest to maintain, car I ever owned.

And for OSX, you can load it on a PC, but it will only work if you have OSX compatible hardware. Anything that Apple does not sell, there are no drivers for, unlike Windows. Actually, nothing is guaranteed to work on an Apple computer unless you buy it at the Apple Store.

On the other hand, I used to build servers with Linux. I would custom build the kernal with only the drivers for the hardware that was in that particular server. Most reliable servers around, but heaven help the guy who wanted to change the hardware

Ahh...Yes, the good ole Pinto that would blow up if it was hit from behind. Some versions of Windows used to do the same thing. ME had to be the Pinto of the Windows world. It would blow up it you looked at it too long.

Tom correct me if I am wrong but your custom servers sound allot like an Apple machine. Linix and OSX are both Unix based. Why the custom Linux kernal? Because the servers were very reliable and worked with little or no flaws?

Like I keep saying, the big difference between Apple and Microsoft is their view on how they choose to treat the customer.

Old 09-25-2010   #47
Llama

CamelKarma: 36120

If you think about it for a while the whole M$ thing just doesn't make sense. Something else must be going on. I mean M$ has been a huge company with tons of money for decades now.

I could understand if this was a little mom and pop type of outfit. They could claim they don't have a lot of money. They don't have enough clout. They can't lure the most talented people to work for them. They can't afford the best people. Insert almost ANY excuse and I'd buy it.

But this is M$. For decades they have had the money, the clout, the lure, everything. With all this money on hand, and the ability to have ANYONE work for them. No real limits for ANYTHING. And still after ALL this time, they can't get their act together. Something just doesn't add up.

Nikon D800, D5500 IR 590nm, D50
nu2scene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010   #48
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 497479

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu2scene View Post
If you think about it for a while the whole M$ thing just doesn't make sense. [...] Something just doesn't add up.
nu2scene,

I guess you aren't into commercial software development, so you'll lack the understanding how it works. What Microsoft does makes perfect sense and adds up quite well most of the time - for them. If it's good for the customers too, that's an added benefit but only of marginal importance. Microsoft - and nearly all other software companies including Apple and Adobe aren't in the business of making the world a better place, they're into making money for them. That's all.

Korman
korman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010   #49
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 751
Editing OK?: No

Kind of like us bike riders. Talk to a Harley rider and it's the best of everything (except when it's hot and they have to pull over due to overheating). Our Jap bikes aren't bikes. Course I can keep up with them and go where they go but thousands and thousand less. So I would say same as Mac vs. Windows. I started back in the good ole days too with computers then got out of if. Last one I ran was and IBM 350-65. A few friends of mine have Mac's and love them. I have windows and don't have an issue with it. Works fine. Last year got the i7 and works fine. They kept trying to talk me into going Mac but the Higher price of Mac's and the fact that I would have to change over some of my other equipment and the biggest factor of changing my software kept me from it. I know you can run windows on them now but why have two operating systems? One thing my buddies envy though is the fact peripherals and software are easy to acquire locally and again the cost of them is cheaper. I also know the windows setup so no new learning curve. I think it would depend on how much you would have to outlay for the change over. Again I think it's more of a ford/chevy canon/nikon honda/harley type of deal. Those with the more expensive have to justify it when maybe the cheaper can do the job. We do live in a world where Name matters. Go with what you can afford not to just follow the pack
Seadog1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010   #50
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadog1967 View Post
Kind of like us bike riders. Talk to a Harley rider and it's the best of everything (except when it's hot and they have to pull over due to overheating). Our Jap bikes aren't bikes. Course I can keep up with them and go where they go but thousands and thousand less. So I would say same as Mac vs. Windows. I started back in the good ole days too with computers then got out of if. Last one I ran was and IBM 350-65. A few friends of mine have Mac's and love them. I have windows and don't have an issue with it. Works fine. Last year got the i7 and works fine. They kept trying to talk me into going Mac but the Higher price of Mac's and the fact that I would have to change over some of my other equipment and the biggest factor of changing my software kept me from it. I know you can run windows on them now but why have two operating systems? One thing my buddies envy though is the fact peripherals and software are easy to acquire locally and again the cost of them is cheaper. I also know the windows setup so no new learning curve. I think it would depend on how much you would have to outlay for the change over. Again I think it's more of a ford/chevy canon/nikon honda/harley type of deal. Those with the more expensive have to justify it when maybe the cheaper can do the job. We do live in a world where Name matters. Go with what you can afford not to just follow the pack
Most of your points I would agree with. I have used both over the years and am now a dedicated Mac person. While software is easier to acquire locally, I would disagree on the pricing part.

Upgrade from Leopard to Snow Leopard was $9.95 for my Mac since it was less than a year old and $29,95 for my wifes 2 year old Mac and any other Mac user whose machine met the minimum standards. Windows 7 upgrade was not that cheap. I find a lot of the software is actually a bit cheaper or equal in cost, you just have to order it on line instead of walking into a store, buying it and installing it right then.

The cost of a Mac is more expensive up front, however the average user life of a Mac also is, from my experience, longer. The cost balances out over the long run.

Bottom line, If you prefer working in a Windows environment than that is what you should use, if you prefer working in an Apple environment then that should be the choice. They both get the job done.

There is one thing that we Mac users do forget though. That is the color blue. We just never see it with funny white writing on it.

I do have to applaud Microsoft for one thing though, Office for Mac 2011 is going to have Outlook in it instead of Entourage. Entourage was ok, but it will be nice to have the full power of Outlook in the package. Finally the full Office suite on a Mac.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: