Should I make the switch? - Page 3
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2010   #21
Llama

CamelKarma: 3357
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Should I make the switch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12step View Post
Which one will last longer and meet my performance needs?
Both.

Flickr
kewk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010   #22
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 901196

NO WAY i am going to buy MAC , i have some IPODS , they all suffer from about the same things and if you got to a apple center they simply tell you "oh you can repair but new costs less "

that is not what i call SERVICE ..

i build and have build most of my machines my self, today with fallen prices of new gear from HP , it seldom is proffitable to build it your self anymore
Old 09-14-2010   #23
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12step View Post
It comes down to this for me. Which one will last longer and meet my performance needs? I want something dependable. I want something that isn't going to flash a "Digital Archive Error" every ten minutes 6 months after I bought it.

I want dependability.

Than if you aren't unhappy with Windows (and especially if you haven't tried Windows 7) than buy from a company that offers GOOD support and quality products. For me I can't recommend a better "big" company than IBM/Lenovo, they beat Dell for quality when it comes to customer service and their parts aren't questionable like some "cookie cutter" or off the shelf systems you can snag at Staples or Best Buy.

Focus on the parts you can't easily add to or alter once you buy the system too. Processor most specifically (avoid i3 and i5).

Also unless you play video games, skip the video game card and get a Workstation card like the Nvidia Quadro or ATI Fire cards. They'll give you more longevity and the same level of performance in Photoshop but run cooler and use less power.

Overall for Longevity really 2-3 years is about the max GOOD life span you should expect out of any computer 4-5 years and the system will start to show it's age and be slow enough compared to a newer system that the upgrade will be worth the investment without a doubt.

Lastly if you have a good and reliable local shop that builds systems (not one that resells branded systems) that you can have custom build you a system I highly recommend this. It makes customer service local and gives you a physical door to go knocking on when or if you have any problems.

Zack Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010   #24
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 783595

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryphonslair99 View Post
12step,

PS. DO NOT try the Power Mac if they have one that is fully loaded. Price for one fully loaded with a 12 core i7 processor, 32 gigs of ram, specialized graphics card with 2gig of ram, and 8 TB of storage hooked to dual 30" HD Cinema Displays is only $17,000.00 +. Damn, it's sweet though.
12 cores? That's 1 core per step!
stef@apl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010   #25
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 7045525

I've always been a DOS/Windows user - I've built all my own desktops for the past 15 years or more. I like the fact that I can carefully pick and choose each component used to build the machine based on my personal priorities. Once I got rid of Windows 98 I've been quite satisfied with the reliability of the OS.

My daughter just graduated from college and used some of her graduation gift money to pick up a 13" Macbook Pro. A lot of money for a laptop, but it is a very nice machine. A big gripe against Mac is price, but I think it would be tough to match the hardware capabilities and usability in a Windows laptop at that price point.

Small size, nice screen, great battery life. The multi-touch touch pad is very slick. I've never been a fan of touch pads because of the limited functionality they provide, but apple seems to have bridged that gap with multi-touch.

If you're buying a desktop, I'd say it's avocados and and oranges windows to mac. If you're buying a laptop and have the budget for a macbook or MBP, I think the windows world is lagging. The apple rigs are real nice.
zemlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010   #26
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 127808
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack Davis View Post
Overall for Longevity really 2-3 years is about the max GOOD life span you should expect out of any computer 4-5 years and the system will start to show it's age and be slow enough compared to a newer system that the upgrade will be worth the investment without a doubt.
Interesting observation. My brother in law is a graphics artist and uses his 5 year old MAC every day for hours on end. According to him, it's still as fast as he needs and he loves the reliability of knowing it will perform when he is on a project with a deadline. My MAC is nearly 4 years old and works great. No hick-ups and never once have I been concerned about its performance. I sit down, log on and do whats needed and not having to download security patch's every day or so is a wonderful thing. My $0.02
Dave R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010   #27
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 783595

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R. View Post
According to him, it's still as fast as he needs and he loves the reliability of knowing it will perform when he is on a project with a deadline.
That should be a huge criterion for upgrading.

One thing that drives upgrades is software bloat, and macs are not immune from this. Being able to avoid all the extra crap and addons the OS and browser and software wants to install is a hassle. If you run Linux, you can usually tell exactly what's running and installed, but on windows or mac it's a lot more difficult. Keeping software bloat down will significantly reduce the "need" to upgrade.
stef@apl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010   #28
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 497479

Quote:
Originally Posted by stef@apl View Post
If you run Linux, you can usually tell exactly what's running and installed, but on windows or mac it's a lot more difficult.
Unfortunately that's getting harder with each new version. Various packages get more and more interdependencies that it's hard to get rid of unwanted packages. But of all mentioned operating systems, it works best on Linux.

I'm using mostly Linux for the past decade and still I doubt that it's a viable option for a professional photographer. For hobbyists like me, Gimp and RawTherapee or UFRaw is good enough. But when it comes things like monitor calibration or printing with colour profiles and having proper vendor support from Epson, HP or Canon, Linux gives a lot of headaches. Some things can be made to work, but a lot of time needs to be invested - none works flawlessly out of the box. This is also one of the reason why I think the Mac is superior than Windows: things have a tendency to work with less hassles.

And I still haven't found a good image manager like Lightroom. Picasa is the closest I've found, which is pretty far.

Korman
korman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010   #29
Llama

CamelKarma: 36120

Quote:
But when it comes things like monitor calibration or printing with colour profiles and having proper vendor support from Epson, HP or Canon, Linux gives a lot of headaches. Some things can be made to work, but a lot of time needs to be invested - none works flawlessly out of the box. This is also one of the reason why I think the Mac is superior than Windows: things have a tendency to work with less hassles.
Exactly.

Nikon D800, D5500 IR 590nm, D50
nu2scene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010   #30
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1091466

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
NO WAY i am going to buy MAC , i have some IPODS , they all suffer from about the same things and if you got to a apple center they simply tell you "oh you can repair but new costs less "

that is not what i call SERVICE ..

i build and have build most of my machines my self, today with fallen prices of new gear from HP , it seldom is proffitable to build it your self anymore

Just curious, what problems do your IPods suffer from. Mine used to have a latency issue in the menu functions. Switched to MAC's, and reformatted the IPod to Mac and never had a problem since.

Funny thing HP has told me the same thing about every HP printer that I have ever had and went down. It's cheaper to replace than repair.

FYI I have a real nice HP scanner for sale if anyone needs one. HP Scanjet 5530 . Works perfectly except HP is too lazy to write drivers for it for Snow Leopard.

Looks like Canon or Epson will be getting my business for a new flatbed scanner.

I can honestly say that there are two most remarkable men in the world today. Michio Kaku is one and I am the other one. Between us we cover all knowledge.

Kaku knows all that can be known....And I know the rest.

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today?
Today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda
gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: