Your favorite freeware - Page 3
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2010   #21
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 2684
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Your favorite freeware

I use Adobe, and Microsoft paid for applications, everything else is freeware. Also, I am not planning to upgrade any of my Microsoft stuff unless Office 2003 or XP x64 becomes impossible to run on newer machines.
Old 08-23-2010   #22
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 68

Autohotkey any time there's something highly repetitive in windows that I have to do I automate it.
justanotherjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010   #23
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 2121022
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrit View Post
Also, I am not planning to upgrade any of my Microsoft stuff unless Office 2003 or XP x64 becomes impossible to run on newer machines.
I'm still using Office 2003. Can't stand the "ribbon bar" in 2007 and 2010. Don't see how it makes anything easier. In fact, it makes everything more difficult for me because I'm so used to 2003's menus.
Old 08-23-2010   #24
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 107572

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDArt View Post
I'm still using Office 2003. Can't stand the "ribbon bar" in 2007 and 2010. Don't see how it makes anything easier. In fact, it makes everything more difficult for me because I'm so used to 2003's menus.
I work for Microsoft, so I have the latest and greatest on all my company stuff...Windows 2007, Office 2010, etc...and it absolutely kills my productivity.

Where I used to know where everything was, I am now sent searching through ridiculous taskbars. I hate it. Give me office 2003 and Windows XP and I'm happy. I'm actually thinking about going to Mac for my next computer. I no longer have any vested interest in Microsoft as they continue to want me to relearn how to use their software.

Sorry for the off topic..just my rant of the day.

Oh, and I'll add another freeware...the updated View NX2. I like that I don't have to use another editor for crops or fine adjustments. Thanks Nikon.
Kerbouchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010   #25
Camel Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjohngalt View Post
I work for Microsoft, so I have the latest and greatest on all my company stuff...Windows 2007, Office 2010, etc...and it absolutely kills my productivity.
Evidently most businesses feel the same way. I do not know of a single business, in fact, that has moved to 2007 or 2010 from 2003. Imagine the productivity hit workers will face in such a move.

Since you work for Microsoft, whose idea was this ribbon thing, anyway?

The only people I know who like it are 16 years old or younger.
Old 08-23-2010   #26
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 107572

I don't know who makes those decisions. I'm just a lowly contractor but nowadays, it seems like the computer makes more decisions than I do. I used to remember a time when I could choose to download an update. I also remember a time when I got to decide when my computer needed to reboot.
Kerbouchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010   #27
Camel Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjohngalt View Post
I also remember a time when I got to decide when my computer needed to reboot.
You mean back in the days of DOS, right?
Old 08-24-2010   #28
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 783595

Cygwin. I'm a CLI kind of guy. I wrote a quick shell script to change some links around on lightroom's web gallery. I can use vi or emacs and free my mouse hand for typing. I can scp things to my server, and remotely enter commands.
stef@apl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010   #29
Dromedary

Like a lot of people I have Thunderbird and Firefox then there are a few that I would not be without, in no particular order:

Wordweb
Editpad Lite
Partition Wizard
SyncBack SE
CoreTemp
Filezilla
Malwarebytes

I gave up on AVG Free as it became too bloated, and am now using PC Tools Anti Virus, but it is going the same way. I am refusing to upgrade it.

I thought I would post something more specific than my previous post.
Old 08-28-2010   #30
Dromedary

Quote:
Originally Posted by stef@apl View Post
Cygwin. I'm a CLI kind of guy. I wrote a quick shell script to change some links around on lightroom's web gallery. I can use vi or emacs and free my mouse hand for typing. I can scp things to my server, and remotely enter commands.
Ah, the good old days, when I controlled the computer & my camera. Only I ran some form or another of Unix by choice. Photoshop and Office, for compatibility with my client's software, forced me to turn to the dark side. Of course, the Unix vendors too have been adding features to make it easy for the idiots to do something, that now takes 10 times as long but you do not have to remember a three key sequence to do it.

I love it when I have to spend an hour reading the manual to figure out how to program my camera to do what I want when in the old days it was as simple as opening up a stop or two.

But then, we live in a world where "The Idiot's Guide to..." sells ten million copies, and no one buys "The Expert's Guide..."

www.tomrit.com
tomrit is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: