CS5 and Nik Software - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2010   #11
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 274
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: CS5 and Nik Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighMark Adventures View Post
Here I plagiarized this from link below

"The primary advantage of 64-bit addressing is that it lets an application access much more memory than it would otherwise. In Photoshop’s case, this means that, on machines with enough physical RAM, it can work with extremely large images (multiple gigabytes) without having to swap chunks to disk. However, if your images are not that big, they will already fit into memory in 32-bit mode, so you won’t see any benefit from running in 64-bit mode"
And that's exactly it. Unless you're working with MASSIVE files, you're probably not going to need the 64 bit memory allocation. Your first priority should be compatibility with products you use on a regular basis. If a plugin wont work in 64 bit mode, then you're going to want to stick with 32 bit. This however does not reflect my opinion on the operating system. There is no disadvantage to running 64 bit OS as they also run 32 bit applications, with the exception that some applications just refuse to run properly under a 64-bit OS.

See my other post in this thread.
jspeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010   #12
Llama

CamelKarma: 12115
Editing OK?: Ask First

Nik software has yet to update their plug-ins for Aperture so Aperture can run in 64-bit mode. Thus I'm stuck running Aperture in 32-bit mode. Not a happy camper with Nik Software at this moment.

Think I'll tweet the above to them.

TonyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010   #13
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by patterfr View Post
THis isn't for me, but a friend of mine got Silver Efex Pro and Color Efex Pro software and I'm (I mean they're) digging them.
THen came the compulsion to upgrade to CS5 but am worrying that like some other plug-ins they won't work with the newest upgrade of PS.
DOes anyone have both and CS5 and do they work?
I tried to figure it out by searching and I got a bunch of 64 bit explanations that , well, quite honestly, I'm too stupid to understand.
WIll Nik Color Efex and Silver efex work on CS5.
And what the heck would I have to do to find out if I'm running 64 bit.
Currently on Mac Snow Leopard and CS4.
NIK plugins don't work with CS5. I tried & it never installed. NIK website doesn't mention anything about compatibility either.
wasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010   #14
Llama

Welcome to the club of Nik incompatibility. Since Aperture 3 came out I have had to run it in 32-bit mode. All we get out of Nik is promises but no action has yet been seen.

Old 05-24-2010   #15
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 31196913
Editing OK?: No

I quit using NIK because of their unwillingness to upgrade to 64bit compatibility. And, haven't really missed them, either.
Old 05-24-2010   #16
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4373975

Man. didn't mean to strike a nerve here.
What are you guys missing in 32 that you'd have in 64, or is it just the concept of it all?
Is there a visible difference in the photographs?
If not then what's all the hullabaloo about?

I'm still trying to get Noise Ninja to work in CS4 let alone the 64/32 fiasco.

"It's all meaningless unless you know what it means"- Unknown
patterfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010   #17
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 31196913
Editing OK?: No

There isn't a noticeable difference in the photographs, but there's a HUGE difference in processing speed IF you have the RAM available to be used (i.e. I have 8GB RAM that 64 bit version can use...so I get about 5GB available to PS as opposed to the 1.5GB or so that I get with 32 bit....of course, the amount varies with what is running on the computer and where you have the performance slider set). It is most noticeably faster!

NIK is the only software that I have that won't work in 64 bit and I didn't bother to upgrade to the newer version of ColorEfex because of that. I just don't miss the filters. I don't use their noise software or SilverFX, so they're not an issue for me anyway. All of the other plugins that I own have upgraded versions. Not sure why NIK hasn't.
Old 05-24-2010   #18
Llama

My issue is I just purchased them around Christmas time as a present to myself. Then Aperture 3 comes out and Nik is slow on the upgrade/update. Think I'll ding them again on Twitter.

Old 10-02-2010   #19
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 273

Just to see if this helps anyone.
I have recently installed CS5 on OSX and had the same problem with not getting access to my NIK plugs.
I tried changing PS to 32 bit but still couldn't see them.
The I went under preferences>plugins and added an extra plugin folder to that of my previously installed PS CS3 plugin folder, and they're all back and working great!

Hope this helps somebody!
Cheers!
Northwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010   #20
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4373975

I've been delaying getting cs5....now you've done it!

"It's all meaningless unless you know what it means"- Unknown
patterfr is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: