Laptop battery management
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2010   #1
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 820906
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Laptop battery management

Are there any sort of guidelines on how long one can keep a laptop plugged-in. I know they are the same as camera batteries (li-ion), but I believe LT batteries operate under higher temperatures, so there could be a difference somehow.

Any idea

aam1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010   #2
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: Laptop battery management

Your laptop should be fine for quite a long time - but keep in mind that having it run for a long time puts stress on internal components. Your hard drive especially can only withstand a certain amount of total spinning time (this is often a couple years of non-stop work, but it has a limit nonetheless). Additionally, your battery has a limited number of charge-discharge cycles, so you may want to remove it from your laptop when you have it plugged in to reduce the life drain.

There isn't much risk of overheating or catastrophic failure unless you block the air vents. Just make sure you don't keep it on top of clothing or blankets for too long, keep the vents cleared, and try not to keep it in places that are too warm.
Old 03-16-2010   #3
Llama

CamelKarma: 546794
Editing OK?: Yes

Lithium ion batteries like to be cycled so if you are using the laptop plugged in for extended periods (days) it's best to remove the battery. This can also reduce heat a little as the battery compartment becomes open space rather than a solid piece that retains heats.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

I'm mostly anti-social, don't take my lack of comments personally. I'm also forgetful and occasionally forget that I posted something.
JackAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010   #4
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 110
Editing OK?: No

Not just about batteries BUT- I noticed that the top of my laptop was getting warmer than usual.

The area below and to the left of the keyboard was getting hot.

I used canned air and blew all the dust out of the laptop using all the openings.

That little fan is like a vacuum cleaner sucking in anything it can get ahold of.
common man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010   #5
Llama

CamelKarma: 546794
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by common man View Post
Not just about batteries BUT- I noticed that the top of my laptop was getting warmer than usual.
The area below and to the left of the keyboard was getting hot.
I used canned air and blew all the dust out of the laptop using all the openings.
That little fan is like a vacuum cleaner sucking in anything it can get ahold of.
I won't run my laptop without a coolpad anymore. It overheated once while processing a rather large HDR which forced me to spend a few bucks but it's been well worth it. Heat is down and performance if more consistent.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

I'm mostly anti-social, don't take my lack of comments personally. I'm also forgetful and occasionally forget that I posted something.
JackAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010   #6
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 10673
Editing OK?: Ask first

From http://photocamel.com/forum/computer...tml#post669601

Some history: I'm an IT manager who, during a previous job, managed about 25 laptops used for sales and tech deployments in a variety of conditions. I supplied each with APC inverters for their vehicles as part of their "mobile" package. I also taught and encouraged battery "exercise".

Here's what I found, from personal experience and from those following my recommendations:

1. Laptops that had no regular battery use that completely drained the battery every 30-45 days saw a significant decrease in battery performance after 1 year of daily operation.

2. Laptops that were intentionally run down on batteries once a month saw almost NO performance hits on their battery performance, even after 2 years of operation.

3. Inverters and alternate power supplies had no effect on 1 or 2.

4. Heat had a roughly 15-20% decrease in battery performance when running on batteries but almost no impact on battery life or performance during later cooler periods.

Here's what I did to get this performance:

1. Adjusted power management settings to warn me of battery failure at 3% rather than the default 10%.

2. Once a month (30-45 days or so), I'd take the laptop off the docking station or power supply and run it down to that warning.

3. At the next opportunity, I'd charge the battery back up. To get the greatest impact, this should be a FULL recharge cycle. Don't remove the power supply until the battery is completely charged. Yes, newer battery technologies have less "memory" but my personal experience has told me the greatest impact is a full cycle rather than partial.

I'd also do this within a few days of getting a new laptop. Let it charge up, run it to nothing, then recharge fully.

I have a laptop on my closet shelf that is 5 years old. When I bought it, I'd get roughly 2.5 hours off of it. Today, after a charge, I can still get 2+ hours from that same battery. I've never changed it. All I did was those steps above.

-----------------------

Regarding batteries and heat, I echo the coolpad or ventilation recommendations, especially on higher performance laptops that generate more heat.

brian.austin is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Computers and Software »

Share this topic: