Which (good quality) pocket camera to get?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Compact Camera

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2009   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Which (good quality) pocket camera to get?

I already have an SLR but would like a pocket sized compact that I could take along with me everywhere and take those shots that I would otherwise miss, so which one to get?
My priorities are as follows:

1) small and light (preferrably pocket sized)
2) least possible shutter lag
3) works well indoors (low light) without too much noise
4) good quality results

If in addition I could get the following features I'd be even happier :

1) manual (or semi-manual; Av, Tv) modes
2) shoots in RAW

Of course, neither RAW or manual modes help if the camera is too big to bring along for that perfect shot.....

I've so far looked at all the usual candidates:
- Panasonic LX-3
- Canon G-10 and G-11
- Canon S-90

... and so on.
They seem to be either too bulky to be a true "pocket" camera or have flaws which don't just justify their high prices.

Old 11-29-2009   #2
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 344
Default Re: Which (good quality) pocket camera to get?

I would say S90. I did a test drive of one recently... love the interface an options. You can't go wrong with the LX3. If low light in color is not a big criteria, and you are willing to use manual focusing + 1 single focal length lens, consider the Sigma Dp2 also.
Old 11-30-2009   #3
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 19
Editing OK?: Yes

i'm happy with my LX3 so far

i had to make the same choice earlier this year & i'm pretty sure i went the right way
sh0wtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010   #4
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 604
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0wtime View Post
i'm happy with my LX3 so far

i had to make the same choice earlier this year & i'm pretty sure i went the right way
I just bought the LX3 and I am having a ball with it. I even set my D700 aside for a couple days.
sambr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010   #5
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 2711051

I have the G11 and love it....but it is larger than the S 90...and the S90 has an f2 lens compared to the 2.8 on the G11. Good luck!
Old 08-01-2010   #6
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 2930828

I have also been thinking of a new compact and after reading the group test I am actually quite keen on the casio Fh100 [ also shoots RAW ] with its 24mm lens and high speed capabilities .
Desmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010   #7
Llama

CamelKarma: 1930

If your looking to get something a little on the cheaper side check out the Sony DSC-V3 it's a little older (2005 I thinks) and is only 7mp (if that matters much to you) but has all the features you are looking for. Some of the newer cameras will probably be a little better in low light but the reason I picked this one is it can be used in manual mode and has a hot shoe flash. (so I can use a flash of camera if I want) You can get them on ebay for around $100 so even if you don't like it and resell it you didn't loose much (if anything)

Edit--Just realized this is an old thread that has been pulled back from the dead.
Old 08-03-2010   #8
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 2930828

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorspam View Post
If your looking to get something a little on the cheaper side check out the Sony DSC-V3 it's a little older (2005 I thinks) and is only 7mp (if that matters much to you) but has all the features you are looking for. Some of the newer cameras will probably be a little better in low light but the reason I picked this one is it can be used in manual mode and has a hot shoe flash. (so I can use a flash of camera if I want) You can get them on ebay for around $100 so even if you don't like it and resell it you didn't loose much (if anything)

Edit--Just realized this is an old thread that has been pulled back from the dead.
Even so it's good advice for a question that many are still asking - start with an old camera that won't lose you much money - 7 meg is more than enough
Desmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011   #9
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

If you're looking for a pocketable camera that has reasonably high quality images, lets you control aperture, speed and focus and shoot in RAW format, I would suggest to buy Canon PowerShot S95.

It also has flash control problems (pretty serious slow sync failures), pretty inept AF (hunts and misses a lot especially in low light), dead sensor pixels, subpar video quality, and the jpeg compression that generates a lot of artifacts (including low ISO's), something my older LX3 can easily trounce.

* The body is slightly slimmer. However, the body finish is much grippier than the S90.
*The front ring feels similar to the S90. Not much changed there.
*The shutter button is a bit redesigned and feels better when using without looking
*The flash movement seems better than the S90. Less hazardous. More rounded edges help reduce the pinch.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Compact Camera »

Share this topic: