Light-weight Quality ?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Compact Camera

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2019   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 19891
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Light-weight Quality ?

Hi there, I'm after some advice on buying a smaller camera.
I currently use a DSLR, which is fine. However, my favourite holidays involve walking and trekking in mountain areas and I'm in my later 70s and finding I need to cut weight down as much as I can. So … any ideas for a smaller, lighter camera to take ?
Features needed are :-
Highest quality image,
Clear, good quality viewfinder (I hate using the rear screen to shoot pix),
Large zoom range not essential, but zoom should start at 28mm (35mm equiv.) if possible. And I prefer manual zoom if that's possible.
Not too big or too heavy. That's the reason for getting another camera, after all.

Any suggestions, preferably based on personal experience ?

Old 07-03-2019   #2
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469544
Default Re: Light-weight Quality ?

I got a used Canon EOS M3 mirrorless that results in a smaller camera than a dSLR. To take care of the rear screen problem, I bought an electronic viewfinder (EVF) attachment that fits into the accessory shoe on top of the camera so I could continue holding the camera up to my eye as I had done with my dSLR. I chose this particular model because adapters were available so I could use my old EF mount lenses with it without losing autofocus, IS, and all the rest of it.

If you can find a mirrorless camera that has a similar EVF attachment available, preferably one where you can use your existing lenses. As long as your lenses don't have an especially long focal length or open up really wide, you shouldn't need too much, and may even get by with a single 17-55 mm (or thereabouts) lens. I used to use a Tamron 17-50 mm f/2.8 lens on my Canon 40D dSLR (APS-C imager, 27-80 mm equivalent), but it didn't hold up very well mechanically. You can find a suitable "kit" lens that meets your focal length range and requirements for image quality, weight, and maximum aperture requirements, which probably won't be too difficult.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019   #3
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 3954

Like you - in my 70's - and recently got a backpack to carry two 5D's, assorted lenses, and a flash (the sum of which has spoiled me with killer pics)...but I was dismayed at the total weight (which mostly comes from the lenses). So, I started looking for an alternative.

APS-C lenses are almost the size and weight of FF, Nikon 1 is dead, so that realistically left u4/3 if you still want interchangeable lenses, and a real decrease in SYSTEM size and weight.

I was very fortunate to find a used Olympus OM-D E-M5 with two lenses locally at a good price. I'm still learning it (menu diving), but I can tell you I'm shocked at how good it it is, and like a lot of the YouTuber's espousing u4/3's, probably should have done this sooner! An almost 8 year old camera on V1.5 firmware - the newer ones are obviously even better!!
Hanginon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019   #4
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469544

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanginon View Post
Like you - in my 70's - and recently got a backpack to carry two 5D's, assorted lenses, and a flash (the sum of which has spoiled me with killer pics)...but I was dismayed at the total weight (which mostly comes from the lenses). So, I started looking for an alternative.

With a kit like that, it's no wonder you were looking for ways to reduce your load. Oi !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanginon View Post
APS-C lenses are almost the size and weight of FF, Nikon 1 is dead, so that realistically left u4/3 if you still want interchangeable lenses, and a real decrease in SYSTEM size and weight.
For wide-angle and normal lenses, there isn't that much difference in lens weight, and for tele lenses, the same design can serve for both FF and APS-C, for the same absolute focal length. The OP has indicated that he doesn't need much in the way of telephoto this long, so what I am about to say may have little applicability to him. Nevertheless, once you get above 135 mm equivalent focal length or so, you can get a similar telephoto effect with a shorter and lighter lens if you are using an APS-C than if you are shooting FF and plan to use the full image area. If you don't use the full FF image area, you will routinely have an extra step in your workflow to crop it to DX size or smaller.

Mirrorless cameras, because they don't have the pentaprism, or at least pentamirror, don't have the extra weight associated with the mirror mechanism, mounting, motors, and so other support requirements that dSLRs do. I don't necessarily recommend the Canon system, either the M or the R system, but if the OP has a substantial investment in Nikon-fit lenses, he might find the Nikon J system to his liking, even if it is obsolescent. He might also consider going to the new Z series, but that means getting a Z6 or Z7, along with an adapter for his existing lenses. Or, if he wishes to change systems, he may indeed find the micro-4/3 system, such as your OM-D E-M5, or Sony mirrorless system suitable to his purpose.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019   #5
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 5383739

You don't mention price point so I'll assume you're flush enough for an Olympus OM-D M1-Mkii (body only 485 gms). Approx. 574 g (with BLH-1 battery and Memory card, based on CIPA standards)
Checkout the specs via my signature link, maybe just what you're looking for. There are any number of lenses to choose from, standard to pro.
If you do decide to go with Olympus, then I (or Mr. Pickles) will always be ready to help you get started with micro four thirds.
Note: I am in my 80's, so I know where you're coming from with regard to kit weight. View last week's "night lights" shoot:
https://photocamel.com/forum/archite...ht-lights.html

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill
pandora is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Compact Camera »

Share this topic: