Is the Sony H300 as bad as I saw?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Compact Camera

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2017   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 329470
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Is the Sony H300 as bad as I saw?

Had a Sony DSC-H300 from a friend for over two hours. I did not shoot in daylight, but indoor shots proved to be messy and noisy with no sharp focus and a tremendous lack of detail. Is that what this camera is supposed to be? Has anyone tried it? I got crisper shots even with a 5-megapixel Polaroid. I dare not post any image. I'd like to know if the rest of Sony is as bad as this one. I've never used Sony before.

Old 12-11-2017   #2
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469207
Default Re: Is the Sony H300 as bad as I saw?

Too bad you elected not to post an image with an EXIF header.

That said, the DSC-H300 is a "bridge" camera of 2014 vintage design with a 1/2.3" 20-MPix CCD imager and an especially long zoom range. Considering the small size of the imager and the corresponding small size of the individual pixels, I would not expect this particular model to be an especially good low-light performer. If the imager has been forced to operate at especially high ISO, say anything above 400, I would expect results such as you describe, especially if you "pixel peep." This is generally true of imagers of this size - they just don't have the low-light capability of cameras with larger imagers as dSLRs and "mirrorless" cameras do. They work much better outside in daylight, where the ISO can be kept low and still provide reasonably short exposure times. The blurriness, especially if it is patchy, could be an artifact of the in-camera noise reduction necessary for images taken at high ISO.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017   #3
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1145880

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmed Mateo View Post
Had a Sony DSC-H300 from a friend for over two hours. I did not shoot in daylight, but indoor shots proved to be messy and noisy with no sharp focus and a tremendous lack of detail. Is that what this camera is supposed to be? Has anyone tried it? I got crisper shots even with a 5-megapixel Polaroid. I dare not post any image. I'd like to know if the rest of Sony is as bad as this one. I've never used Sony before.
Not familiar with this particular model but have used bridge cameras in the past, would also ask if the camera was able to acquire focus in lowlight, was there a particular lowlight preset available?
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017   #4
Vicuna

I've never owned a DSLR, though I've used a couple that belong to acquaintances. It's a budgetary issue in my country where 200 dollars is equivalent to 5000 pesos, but that's not my problem here. Over the years I've come across a numbre of P/S's that are low-light capable in incredible ways. With smaller lenses and just the same sensors, you get decent and detailed shots that could quite compete with DSLR's unless you ''pixel-peep''(which I do sometimes, Scoundrel). Try not to get familiar with this model, it's a huge camera with a big lens that once again proves that size isn't everything. What bothers me is that reviewers NEVER warn you that you might be looking at something not worth trying.
I kept the camera till this morning to see how it worked in daylight and it was frustrating. The noise level is too high even in broad daylight. Last night I tried manual exposure and, to be honest, I have a decayed Norcent that does a better job in manual.
Ahmed Mateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017   #5
Vicuna

Yes, shadowman, it acquired perfect focus in low light, but the results were disastrous. Here are two crops of photos taken at 5 meters away with the only illumination of a 20-watt fluorescent lamp. The first shot is the Sony, the second is the Nikon L620 that I regularly use. Recently acquired a Canon PowerShot SX530, made in China, which I had tamed already, but it died after four-months' use, inexplicably.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sony Board crop.jpg (112.0 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg Nikon Board crop.jpg (96.9 KB, 31 views)
Old 12-11-2017   #6
Camel Breath

I don't know how much of the image is represented by these crops, but I must agree that the Sony's image quality is pathetic compared to the camera that you normally use.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017   #7
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 596039
Editing OK?: No

do a factory reset and try shooting in auto mode. i'm guessing the settings are not correct or is in manual setting or set in the wrong "scene" mode
post whatever is in your mind no matter how unbearable it is to others, no matter if they are in authority, or a forum bully or simply a sour troll. In the end you can't please everyone and may annoy some but that is what a forum should be, an open discussion complete with trolls all over.
moodless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017   #8
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodless View Post
do a factory reset and try shooting in auto mode. i'm guessing the settings are not correct or is in manual setting or set in the wrong "scene" mode
No, I tried all that. It simply is a bad camera. The only decent shot I could get was a macro of fern leaves.
Old 12-16-2017   #9
Llama

CamelKarma: 226472
Editing OK?: Yes

I think my daughter's D40 could do better.. that is horrible as the OP said.

Its a "cheap camera", Id go out on on a line and state that you get what you pay for, and for a camera.. thats not much price. Sony not excluded.

Andrew

My albums at photocamel:
http://photocamel.com/gallery/u69945-shutterklick.html
ShutterKlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017   #10
Camel Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutterKlick View Post
I think my daughter's D40 could do better.. that is horrible as the OP said.

Its a "cheap camera", Id go out on on a line and state that you get what you pay for, and for a camera.. thats not much price. Sony not excluded.
Depends on what kind of lens you put on the D40, assuming that we are talking about a Nikon D40 dSLR, which is what I default to when someone mentions a "D40" to me these days. However, even with a terrible lens, you wouldn't get this kind of image noise even at the Nikon D40's highest available ISO setting. On the other hand, I once taught a one-week course on digital photography where the people who ran the course went really cheap on the equipment and bought digital cameras for about USD 60 each that went up to ISO 1600. This was in the early-to-mid 2000s. As I recall, the general image quality is comparable to that depicted for the H300, where the images were too poor even for web display.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Compact Camera »

Share this topic: