What are these artefacts? - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Compact Camera

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2014   #11
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 250596
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: What are these artefacts?

@ wdesigndeb:

Are you planning to print your photos or to view them on screen only?

To view most of the pictures on screen.

What in camera settings did you use...not your exposure settings, but your sharpness, contrast, shooting mode if you used one (vivid, portrait, etc.)?

All default settings except the shooting mode, which I set as vivid.

Did you use digital zoom or optical zoom only? Highlight setting on or off?

Only optical zoom. highlight setting "On".

You said you used auto levels? Was your photo over or under exposed?

Underexposed.
ssreddy555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014   #12
Llama

CamelKarma: 540570
Editing OK?: Yes

O.K. let's see if we can get your result a little better sooc. If you are viewing most of them on screen, then noise may matter more to you than if you are printing them as the printing process tends to alleviate a lot of the noise.

These are some steps to try:

I would turn your highlight setting to "off" unless you are shooting a high contrast scene - for instance, a wedding where the bride is in white and the groom in black. In this case you want to preserve the highlights as much as possible, so you retain the texture of her dress. Otherwise keep it off if you are shooting at low ISO's. Turn it on at high ISO's (above 640) as it will boost the shadows and adjust the ISO to allow more light to hit the sensor.

You will want to try as much as possible not to underexpose your photos. In fact, you are better off to overexpose slightly - about +1/3 to +2/3 of a stop. When you lower the exposure in your post processing program you will create less noise in the shadows than if you raise the exposure.

IMO, canon cameras (I am a canon shooter) have their contrast and sharpness default settings way too high.

The "vivid" setting on a canon camera is fine to use provided that you are aware that the contrast, saturation and sharpness are increased from the normal default setting of the camera. If you are keen on using this setting you may see better results from lowering the contrast in your "My Colors" menu. I would lower the contrast by at least 2 or 3. The added benefit is that you will get more detailed blue skies. You can lower the sharpness to your own taste. It depends a lot on how much you wish to post process.
wdesigndeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014   #13
Vicuna

Thanks Deb for your suggestions.

I will try the settings u suggested.

Thanks once again.
Old 08-04-2014   #14
Llama

CamelKarma: 540570

I neglected to mention that in hot temperatures the sensor will create more noise as well. Try to avoid shooting during the hottest part of the day.
wdesigndeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014   #15
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdesigndeb View Post
I neglected to mention that in hot temperatures the sensor will create more noise as well. Try to avoid shooting during the hottest part of the day.
& perhaps for long periods. In fact, the temp is not too high. It's around 25 deg C.
Old 01-25-2015   #16
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 683702

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gautam View Post
You can use a noise reduction software to clear it up a bit.
Noiseware has a free (community) version, you can try that out.
Thanx 4 the hedzupp.
Just downloaded.
Glad I peruzed the thread !
Golem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015   #17
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 901196
Editing OK?: Ask First

due to smaller sensors noise is more evident with the increase of the iso noise sooner or later to become visible , for compacts i am not a fan of sharpening too much or setting the noise eninge too hard (if applicable)

Dirk is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Compact Camera »

Share this topic: