I'm Looking for an Easy Light Camera for Travel
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Compact Camera

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2013   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default I'm Looking for an Easy Light Camera for Travel

I would like to buy a camera for use while traveling. One that is easy to use, light, that will shoot RAW, have tele-zoom lens, a reasonable sensor size, and at a reasonable price.

What I am not sure about is the importance of pixels, resolution, type of screen (articulated, tilting or not?), point and shoot or mirror-less.

I already have a good quality Canon EOS camera and lenses but they are too heavy for travelling. Am I better to remain within the Canon family?

All information and/or make/model recommendations would be appreciated.

Amnon

Old 11-20-2013   #2
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 19578623
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: I'm Looking for an Easy Light Camera for Travel

I would get Panasonic FZ200 and call it a day.

FZ200| B&H Photo Video
Old 11-20-2013   #3
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 199623261

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdog2 View Post
I would get Panasonic FZ200 and call it a day.

FZ200| B&H Photo Video
Ditto that.

I have the FZ200 and am very happy with it.
Old 01-10-2014   #4
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 1258

After lugging my Nikon D7000, four lenses, and assorted other stuff on a vacation to China (18 days), I decided to try one of the light, super zoom cameras. I looked hard at the Leica V-LUX 4 and the FZ200. I had concerns that the clarity of the extreme zoom lenses in combination with such a small sensor would produce blurry pics. The sensor size comparison is: V LUX (FZ) 8.8 x 6.6 mm vs 22.2 x 14.8 mm C MOS. That's a lot of difference. After reading all the customer reviews about the FZ being a close cousin to the Leica, (FZ $449 vs $899 for the Red Dot), I became really concerned about noise and blurry pics. I've been a Nikon guy since my first "F" purchased in 1965. I started looking at the Coolpix P520 on Amazon for $347: 18.1MP, 24-1000 zoom [35 eqiv], articulating LCD screen 1080 video, etc. What closed the decision for the P520 was that it had every bell and whistle that my D7000 had except shooting in RAW (which I don't use much). After purchase, I shot several shots side by side with my D7000 w/Nikon & Tokina lenses with tripod and with 100% blow ups. Here's what I found, If you are very careful, you can get superior results with the smaller sensor cameras . Focusing is slow and you must wait until the camera has finished it's hunt. Second, I use the 'P' setting @ 400 ISO for almost all my shooting. At my age, I'm not steady so a faster speed helps along with VR. Third, I post process my good shots in PSE11, levels & sharpen along with a look at NIK Viviza's structure adjustment. That said, a 16 x20 enlargement can be processed with great color and clarity. I've done it. In summary, any of the three cameras mentioned are capable of amazing results in a light, small package. It only takes patience and a little know-how. I feel sorry for reviewers who expect perfect results right out of the camera. If that camera exists, I'll buy one.

Nikon D750, Olympus E-PL1, Panasonic GX7, Topaz Bundle, NIK Bundle, PS, PSE, & 50 Year's of inventory.

www.flickr.com/photos/rlda1336/

Last edited by BOB DA; 01-10-2014 at 09:40 AM.. Reason: misspell
BOB DA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014   #5
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 901196

Hi Bob ,

The Perfect camera does not exsist imho, yes compacts can produce real good images too , but if the sensor is smaller (wich is 8/10 the case) then noise kicks in sooner or later . The advantage of smaller multizoom camera's is that they offer reach in a carryable package .

I do however have my thoughts about the reach of the Coolpx 520 24-1000mm
camera's wich such a big reach lens easily tend to slow responses since first you have to extend the lens and get it ready for action , the longer the lens the more time it takes .

yeah with a tripod and a non moving object all camera's can make a superior shot once the guy or girl behind the camera has framed the shot . out of the hand it is a heck harder, because vr has to work extremly hard at 1000mm or you must be a surgeon when you can produce a shot at 1000mm without vr .

why go for 400 iso always , i tend to shoot at low iso pretty all the time and only increase it if nescessary. i rather longer the shutterspeed with the help of vr than raising iso

i too shoot mainly at P+ only when i want to blur backgrounds i use A or when i want to play with shutterspeeds S. I am mostly a Nikon user too
Old 01-11-2014   #6
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 10

Before Xmas I finally settled on a Fuji X-E1. It's very different, and much slower, from my full frame Canon 5 D II. But I got a good deal and am in the process of learning how to comfortably use it.

Thanks for all the advice and Happy New Year to all.

Amnon
Amnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014   #7
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 1258

Dirk

Thank you for your kind thoughts. I'll continue to play with the P520 with your suggestions in mind.

Bob

Nikon D750, Olympus E-PL1, Panasonic GX7, Topaz Bundle, NIK Bundle, PS, PSE, & 50 Year's of inventory.

www.flickr.com/photos/rlda1336/
BOB DA is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Compact Camera »

Share this topic: