Waterproof Camera?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Compact Camera

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2013   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 63792
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Waterproof Camera?

So Im on the hunt for the ideal waterproof camera and am somewhat stumped. I just bought a Panasonic TS5 and am very underwhelmed with it in terms of image quality. I am quite spoiled in that I own a D3S and D700, so I know I can't expect the same image quality. What is everyone using as a waterproof camera, and what do you think of it? Does anyone know of any future cameras being released that will hopefully yield better image results?

Thanks!

Old 09-06-2013   #2
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 497479
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Waterproof Camera?

You have a few options, depending what you want.

There are a few waterproof compact cameras, usually watertight to 5m depth, which is enough for snorkelling and the pool, like your Panasonic. While I'm of the impression, that the Olympus are a little better, this won't be a dramatic improvement.

Then you have the cameras that are weather proof an survive being taken into the shower or rafting. For the swimming pool I wouldn't advise them. Probably the best solution here is the Olympus OM-D E-M5 with a matching weather-sealed lens.

Another good solution for the swimming pool and snorkelling, but limited in depth are those plastic bags like the ones from EWA-marine. This will allow you to user your D700 or D3S. Not cheap, but probably the most economical solution if you want to use your usual gear. The depth limit here isn't because of the water sealing , but it's more a matter of the pressure, which can become problematic for the camera.

Last, if your into serious scuba-diving, you'll need a underwater housing - and probably some underwater-lights too. Expensive, but from a certain point on necessary.

Perhaps that helps a little. Sorry for not provinding links, I'm too lazy to look them up.

Korman
korman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013   #3
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 63792

I appreciate the input. I'm mainly looking for something to take "snapshots" of the kids...so that kind of contradicts what I said about caring about the quality of the image lol. I just want something compact that I can put in my pocket (there's been so many things I've missed out taking pics of because I get sick of lugging around a D SLR. I should perhaps look at a straight compact camera and not worry about the waterproof part, but with the kids its nice to have that extra bit of security for when it gets dropped by the pool etc...So basically I'm looking for a compact, waterproof camera that takes pro level D-SLR quality shots lol! Oh and I don't want to pay more than $400 for it I think I may have to wait a few years on this purchase...
hotelfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013   #4
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 6058
Editing OK?: No

We bought a Sony DSC-TX20 for a trip to Sea World and Discovery Cove back in Feb. and have been really happy with it. Surprisingly happy. Shoots HD video underwater, takes very good pictures. We use it on the boat and at the beach. I've also used it to video my son's lacrosse games in the rain. In my opinion it takes good quick snapshots and fits in my pocket better than my G15. I use 40D's for work, have a G15 for when I don't want to carry a bag full of gear and feel that the Sony is useful for those times when the environment is questionable or I just want to carry a tiny camera.
Hope that helps,
Wm.
Old 09-12-2013   #5
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 7324142

I use a pentax optio series now known as tge WG-3
it's waterproof,shock proof, freeze proof
http://www.us.ricoh-imaging.com/digi...a/WG-3_Orange_
_Provo_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013   #6
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 23867847

Maybe this will help

Best Underwater Camera Group Test 2013 | What Digital Camera

Or

Waterproof Camera Review 2013 | Best Underwater Digital Cameras | Disposable Underwater Camera - TopTenREVIEWS

The younger

J-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013   #7
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 97553
Editing OK?: Ask first

So far I'm using Canon Powershot 20. It's durable and good underwater camera.
marinorogers660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013   #8
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 7324142

btw Nikon just came out with an underwater camera
Nikon 1 AW1 underwater camera additional coverage | Nikon Rumors
_Provo_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013   #9
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 97553
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Provo_ View Post
btw Nikon just came out with an underwater camera
Nikon 1 AW1 underwater camera additional coverage | Nikon Rumors
That's nice. I wonder if the specs and quality beat underwaters cameras from Canon. Thanks for the info
marinorogers660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013   #10
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 27887

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotelfive View Post
So Im on the hunt for the ideal waterproof camera and am somewhat stumped. I just bought a Panasonic TS5 and am very underwhelmed with it in terms of image quality. I am quite spoiled in that I own a D3S and D700, so I know I can't expect the same image quality. What is everyone using as a waterproof camera, and what do you think of it? Does anyone know of any future cameras being released that will hopefully yield better image results?

Thanks!
I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 It is waterproof to 40' for 60 minutes, 12mega pixels, optical 4.6 zoom (plus digital zoom), image stabilizer, multiple metering modes, 2.7' LCD monitor,GPS and drop resistant. The photos are pretty sharp (I also have a Canon 50D) and shutter lag time is with in acceptable range. It will shoot 6 consecutive frames in burst mode, has compass/altimeter/barometer plus much more. It is my P&S go to in bad weather, water parks or rides, or underwater photography or when I just don't want to carry my DSLR. I bought it because it was rated #I among 5 or 6 underwater/weatherproof cameras including ones by Nikon and Canon.

He delivered me because He delighted in me!
MagicFad is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Compact Camera »

Share this topic: