Not sure what to buy next... - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Compact Camera

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012   #11
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Not sure what to buy next...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma View Post
I can absolutely understand your feeling about the G15, janof. I finally had a bit of time 2 weeks ago and went to my local store and compared G15 (yes, finally we have it here in Europe!), RX100 and the P7700.
The G15 is very good built and as I already own a Canon DSLR it just felt "right".

After playing a bit with the RX100 I have to admit that it is too small for me - it's even hard to hold it properly (I do not have large hands/fingers). When the lens drove out of the camera after turning on it almost slipped out of my hands as the weight got heavily unbalanced.

The P7700 also seemed to be good, but not as good as the G15; I don't think my choice will fall on it, even if I really like the +60mm compared to the G15 and the articulated monitor.

After I had a look at these 3 cameras the seller showed me a Nikon D3200 and told me "almost same price as the others, but much better picture/video quality". I was reluctant to have a look at it, as it's again a DSLR (almost not pocketable), but I have to admit that it was really light (for a DSLR).
This is now giving me some headaches - is it really reasonable to spend so much money for a compact camera if you already get and entry-level DSLR for the same?

Hmm...
I too had the same dilemma, but finally I'll be buying the G15. You can use your regular
Canon flashes. Got a look at the high ISO and they seem perfect for a regular at the
most 11x14.
Aponte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012   #12
Alpaca

I have several DSLRs and have used a G10 since they came out. I sold the G10 and looked around for a replacement, but I didn't find anything that suited and in the end bought a second used G10. I've again recently looked at pocketable cameras, but none ow seems to have a viewfinder, and the sun is so bright here in Belize that using the rear screen is not feasible. I think I'll stay with the G10, which takes incredibly good pictures in anything other than poor light.
peterbj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012   #13
Alpaca

Hi,

I'm also in the same predicament. I need a lightweight, all-around camera that shoots RAW, has a VF and fully-articulating LDC. I also need a hotshoe, and of course superb image quality. I can take or leave video.

It doesn't have to slip into a pocket but it can't be such a hassle to carry around that it's left at home (as my DSLR often is). Someone recommended the Panasonic GH2 or GH3, or the G5. So far I've not had the opportunity to hold any of these in my hands, much less try them out--my local camera store did not have any of them in stock. Does anyone have any experience with these?
KatC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012   #14
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 901196

i have shortly held these and the nikon j1 and sony nex in my hands.

for me they are worthless i think that mirrorless camera's have to devellop a lot and have better camera shake programs either in body or in affordable lenses

dirk
Dirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012   #15
Alpaca

Hi, Dirk,

Is the problem with image stabilization across the board, or only at longer focal lengths? Or...?
KatC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012   #16
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 9058810

I think that if I was buying a quality camera at low price I would look at the discontinued Nikon V1 Mirrorless camera with electronic viewfinder built in at Nikon Nikon 1 V1 Mirrorless Digital Camera with 10-30mm 27504 for the very worthwhile price of $299.00. I bought an Olympus E-PL1 on sale with the kit lens and Nikon lens adapter for $225.00 and love it but need that electronic viewfinder and with Olympus, it is $249.95 alone. Took the Olympus along on our trip to Rocky Mountain National Park, loved it, used it more than either the Nikon D2x, D700 or D200. Highest compliments on image quality.
jhawk1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012   #17
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 9058810

By the way, Dirk, just holding these cameras does not do justice to what they can do and you need to actually live with them awhile. They can do just about every thing you ask and with the Olympus, that built in antivibration is really nice. I really think you should use a camera before deciding it was not good.
jhawk1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012   #18
Photocamel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatC View Post
Hi, Dirk,

Is the problem with image stabilization across the board, or only at longer focal lengths? Or...?
At the bis store (media markt) there wehe all lenses fiti with out vr , so i guess ti was across the boards , i have pretty big hands and i shake with light gear , not with heavy gear or only at 450mm or so..
Old 12-31-2012   #19
Photocamel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhawk1000 View Post
By the way, Dirk, just holding these cameras does not do justice to what they can do and you need to actually live with them awhile. They can do just about every thing you ask and with the Olympus, that built in antivibration is really nice. I really think you should use a camera before deciding it was not good.
i did't sya there are no good , they just not for me , but i have to be fair i test them shortly and i didn't see any stabilisation modes in the menu's , i tested Panasonic , sony, i tried to get some good shots in the store but either was to tired or exhausted that my hands felt like parkinson (lucky it isn't parkinsosn) .

the body's are too thin there is hardly room to crasp them thorughly only on the bigger mirowless camera's but they where as priccy as a good dslr and then i prefer the dslr . (Mel) ..

Old 01-07-2013   #20
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 65
Editing OK?: Ask first

Here is something that has not been suggested yet, and its what I bought. Fujifilm X10
I own an Olympus E3 and the 12-60 and 35-100mm lenses plus a couple of flashes. Old but brilliant kit, but big and heavy and I wanted something compact and nimble. The choices actually ended up being few, and was really down to a Canon G12 or the Fuji and the Fuji won out because:
Its very well built and feels like a real camera and picture quality is better. Both have optical viewfinders - and both are limited but...they are real viewfinders and can be used when lighting is too bright for the LCD. Really, a great little camera that now always travels with me. Its also better in low light than my Olympus (but thats not saying much)
I still love my E3 though!

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Compact Camera »

Share this topic: