Nikon P500 comments?!
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Compact Camera

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2011   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 2460
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Nikon P500 comments?!

My father is looking for a new compact camera and found the new Nikon Coolpix P500. He's shooting mainly landscapes and macro.
Now I've been looking at some reviews and the camera seems quite decent. But it seems to have the following issues:
Bad low light performance,
distortion when completely zoomed out,
diffraction caused softness when zoomed in over 300mm,
takes only 250-300 images with one battery charge...

Now I wanted to ask if anybody has that camera or has at least tried it and could share some experiences/thoughts?

salicylsre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011   #2
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Nikon P500 comments?!

I have had mine only a short time so can't be overly precise about some things. Battery life is still to be determined but I can't understand why NIkon says you can shoot ah hour and twenty minutes of HD video but only 220 still shots. Doesn't add up. But I bought a couple of extra batteries and a portable charger anyway. Low light performance seems ok to me. Not too many consumer cameras do well there. WA distortion is to be expected; it happens with most cameras at extreme wide angles. I didn't expect much from the long end of the zoom. That is just too much range to cover. But I get usable pics at the long end. A little PP and they are okay. Love the sweep panorama feature. The HD helps but is not close to doing a bracketed set. I love the flexible LCD. That is one feature that sold me.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Compact Camera »

Share this topic: