WHich compact to replace a Canon Powershot S45?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Compact Camera

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2011   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default WHich compact to replace a Canon Powershot S45?

Hi,

I have a Canon Powershot S45. It's basically a family point-and-shoot camera which is also used for some occasional creative shots. A few too many knocks through lots of use means I'm considering replacing it. There's so much choice that I don't really know where to start, so I thought I 'd list what I like about the S45 and see if that prompts some useful advice.

Features I like/use:
  • Zoom
  • Automatic mode
  • Shutter priority mode
  • Aperture priority mode
  • "P" mode (I use it for manual focus with auto exposure)
  • Full manual mode
  • Panoramic assist mode
  • Shutter Timer
  • Video (the limit of 320x240, 15fps, 180 seconds is fine for family use)
  • Ability to change ISO for low-light pictures
  • Exposure adjustment (-2EV to +2EV)
Features I don't use:
  • RAW file format
  • Portrait exposure mode
  • Landscape exposure mode
  • White balance
  • Effects (vivid, vivid, sepia, B&W)
Other comments:
  • The S45 has 4 million pixels and this is plenty enough for our use
  • I never connect the camera to PC (I remove the CF and use an external reader) so bundled PC software isn't a priority
  • Long battery life or ability to purchase high capacity batteries would be useful
  • Price will be a factor...
Thanks for any advice.

Old 03-08-2011   #2
Llama

CamelKarma: 1050
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: WHich compact to replace a Canon Powershot S45?

personally i would recommend the canon powershot sx200 for many reasons one main plus point would be the fact it is being superseeded by the canon sx210is and the price is falling considerably. The camera is dropping in price considerably, it has 14x zoom large 3" screen every feature you are looking for have a look and any questions ask away i keep one in my bag and its great when i dont bring out the 7D;

Imagesgranted is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Compact Camera »

Share this topic: