G12 or Nikon P300
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Compact Camera

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2011   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default G12 or Nikon P300

Looking for a point and shoot to supplement my DSLR for times that I just can't bring the larger kit with me.

I have been looking at the top couple of cameras and for different reasons.

This will be an all around P&S camera. I like the idea of the higher speed lens for lower light shooting and the like. I don't necessarily need the ability to shoot in RAW but wouldn't mind it either.

The issue with the G12 that I have is that it seems to be larger than pocket friendly size where the P300 fits the bill a bit better.

I would like to stay in the $400 range and under for the camera.

I am not interested in the micro 4/3 system as it is not as pocket friendly with the non-retracting lens.

Thanks for any suggestions or directions to look. I currently shoot a Nikon system for my DSLR and lenses but don't have an issue with a P&S being of a different company obviously.

Thanks again,

Marc

Old 02-21-2011   #2
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 155
Default Re: G12 or Nikon P300

This should be an interesting thread. I'm thinking about getting a point and shoot also and had the same question. I've been looking at the Canon S95.

I just want to say the P500 seems to be more comparable to the G12.

Hope we get some good recommendations.
SB 900 and 2 SB 600
Manfrotto 055XB tripod with Bogen 700 RC2 video head

Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011   #3
pop
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 346615
Editing OK?: Yes

Getting the G12 was a no brainer for me.
I have a Canon 1dsmk2. 580 flashes/PW's/RadioPoppers/Canon transmitter all work with the G12. I do laugh at myself for even the 580 is bigger than the camera. Add the cabling, it gets crazy. But hey it's fun!
Old 02-21-2011   #4
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by pop View Post
Getting the G12 was a no brainer for me.
I have a Canon 1dsmk2. 580 flashes/PW's/RadioPoppers/Canon transmitter all work with the G12. I do laugh at myself for even the 580 is bigger than the camera. Add the cabling, it gets crazy. But hey it's fun!
Hmmm.

I thought about that too. It might be good to stick with the same brand as my other camera for compatibility reasons. In my opinion, the P500 is essentially the same camera as the G12.
SB 900 and 2 SB 600
Manfrotto 055XB tripod with Bogen 700 RC2 video head

Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011   #5
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 1860
Editing OK?: Ask first

You might be able to find a G11 in that price range. I have one, and it's a great camera. Yes, a little bulky, but it is a great resource when you don't have your DSLR with you. And you might save a few bucks on that model.
brucedojd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011   #6
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

I recommed this Canon G12camera from above both camera option.This camera introducing the video mode is a high resolution format (1280720) extends, in addition, a second microphone was added so that stereo recordings are now possible. At the front dial,The internal software has an automatic mode, HDR- contrast subjects supplemented for, the three differently exposed images with an image created from high dynamic range.There are additional new shooting modes like HDR that takes several photos then combines them for greater detail, better exposure.in this camera you can pre-set the maximum ISO level.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Compact Camera »

Share this topic: