The LX3 and dynamic black and white.
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Compact Camera

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2010   #1
Llama

CamelKarma: 1232
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default The LX3 and dynamic black and white.

I've enjoyed using the LX3 as a black and white camera, though I chose dynamic black and white for these images I will be trying out the other black and white options too. They were shot as jpegs then I used ACD Pro's light equalizer before making some minor adjustments in Capture NX2, my raw converter.

Old 05-03-2010   #2
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 19
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: The LX3 and dynamic black and white.

the LX3 Dynamic B&W mode gives great results.
the only thing you need to be careful of is using it where there is a lot of contrast ie a sunny day with a lot of shady areas! i used mine in Dynamic at a friends wedding & a lot of the pics were too black on the dark areas.
this one below for example, nice pic but too contrasty/dark for me

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4026/...96e1cec5_b.jpg
Old 05-03-2010   #3
Llama

CamelKarma: 1232
Editing OK?: Ask first

Good point. The other B&W options would be a better choice where the scene is already contrasty, my preference in high contradt scenes is Smooth B&W. The LX3 is one of the better compacts but it still has a somewhat limited dynamic range, something to watch out for when shooting in lighting conditions that exceed it.
jellybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010   #4
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 344
Editing OK?: Ask First

The DR of the LX3 is actually pretty good - surprisingly so. It even competes with some DSLR's:

Compare cameras

Though the tonal range won't be quite there.

dynamic B&W is the Panasonic jpeg I love the most.
Old 02-20-2017   #5
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 365
Editing OK?: Yes

love the b&w in this one...it makes it more interesting.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Compact Camera »

Share this topic: