...and now for the ham-question: ( G11 or SD210IS ? ) - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Compact Camera

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2010   #11
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 1298
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: ...and now for the ham-question: ( G11 or SD210IS ? )

I'm at the exact same point.

So far it's between the G11 and the S90. The camera I would want for myself is the G11. The camera that my wife would enjoy using? I think i'm leaning towards the S90

Rich

"The most worth-while thing is to try to put happiness into the lives of others." B.P
5D Mk II
Canon: 50 f1.8, 24-105L f4 IS, 100 f2.8 Macro
EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS USM
580 EXII Vivitar 285HV, Elinchrom EL-Skyport
seab3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010   #12
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 690429
Editing OK?: Yes
Default ...and the winners are...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max@Home View Post
...suppose you feel you are in the market for a more modern compact, since your PowerShot G3 and the Mrs.'s IXUS S400 are extremely long in the teeth, and also your PowerShot Pro1, although still making beautiful images with that L glass in RAW, only does that at ISO50 and ISO100...

...so you want something pocketable and easy/convenient for you and the Mrs... and then you happen to run into a decent, slightly used G11... ouch pocketable, but oh, so nice... and to make it worse it's about the same price as that new PowerShot SD210 IS you were looking at, which is pocketable, more IXUS like 'point-and-shoot' for the Mrs. and sports a real nice 14x zoom starting at that same just-wide-enough 28mm.
...follow up!

End of April the IXUS400 of the Mrs. died , and my friend decided that he was going to keep his G11 ...

So early May we bought a 2nd hand bargain Panasonic FX30 (€/$25! + pouch and 4Gb SD card !) for the Mrs. , and I decided to wait till after PhotoKina, as just maybe Canon would have a Pro-2 somewhere hidden in her sleeves ?

As this turned out not to be the case, I have 'settled for the next best thing' and as of today am the proud owner and user of a Canon PowerShot G12! Yeay!

Have so far taken no more than 30 odd shots with it, just to check all the functions and such, the results look 'more than acceptable' in my book

FWIW: I bought a spare battery and a Kingston 16Gb Class 10 SDHC card for it, good for (a whole holiday ) 1.000 'RAW+JPG-M1' images , and a LowePro APEX 60 AW pouch/small bag, that fits it like a glove, and has some room in a front compartment for a spare SD card and a spare battery and can be used as a pouch-in-a-larger-bag, as a shoulder-bag and as belt-bag using the sliplock 'hook', that sliplock 'hook' also makes it possible to attach it to my larger LowePro bags The new
is on order, so I can use the many 58mm filters I have 'lying around', including my old Cokin 'P-filter system', & I already had the 270ex (+StoFen OmniBounce) as a 'pop-up' for the 1D MkIII and 5D MkII, so that little fellow will come in handy too ...as for a strap, I use a Op/Tech wrist strap I initially bought for the G3 some 7+ years ago...

...just sharing, *my* €0.02 worth...

Kindest regards!

Max@Home

Canon PowerShot G1X MkII, Canon PowerShot G3X, some accessories (hoods, flashes, filters, tripod) and some knowledge to use them

Last edited by Max@Home; 12-21-2010 at 06:05 AM.. Reason: FWIW, url's added
Max@Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010   #13
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 901196
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: ...and now for the ham-question: ( G11 or SD210IS ? )

congrats on the G12 forgot that i still have a g9 too

Dirk is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Compact Camera »

Share this topic: