Still Life with Wine
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Commercial

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2009   #1
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 2840131
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Still Life with Wine

Shooting some stock yesterday.

JACKCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009   #2
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 13427
Default Re: Still Life with Wine

Always a treat looking at your work, Jack.

The light is gorgeous. Clean set-up.

Can I ask why the blur on the top of the grapes ?

Love the colors!!!!

~ Kat
KatMitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009   #3
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 2943091
Editing OK?: Ask First

Very nice. Great light.

Couple of suggestions.......if you placed the bottles and grapes closer to the table edge on the right side while keeping the same crop,that beautiful specular highlight on the right hand bottle would continue down to the table. And, the horizon isn't level, it's just a bit high on the left.

Not a big fan of the one cork being so parallel to the bottom edge of the photo. More angle from horizontal like the other cork would be better I think.

That's a wonderful slash of light on the background.

Those things aside, that's a beautiful shot with great arranging of the props,nice composition and clean dramatic lighting.

Good Job !

"To them, the bike is just garage clutter. To us, it's a loaded Beretta, a half-million in cash, and a forged passport under the floorboards." - Dan Walsh

" Enjoy every sandwich!"

Every single camera and all of the lenses that I've ever owned.
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009   #4
F1 Camel

Thanks for the CC Brooks. Great observations and CC. Heres one more I shot today after a similar one was rejected by Shutterstock. They took this one!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1072.jpg (140.7 KB, 383 views)
Old 12-10-2009   #5
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

Love the second shot, just makes you want a glass (or 2 !!)
gbnlib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009   #6
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 2943091

Jack,

You know, it really doesn't get much better than this.

That's a great low angle camera position to make the glass take on heroic proportions. The large diffused light source is close enough to make the specular highlights on the glass somewhat translucent so we can see the wine behind them.

The background glow is just right in size and intensity. But the best styling lick is the two bubbles in the wine, off center exactly where they should be. Though it can be said that groups of three (odd number of bubbles) is more esthetically pleasing then even numbers (groups of two) of objects. Minor point since the bubbles are of different sizes.

Only occasionally do we see here in this "Commercial Photography" forum examples of such wonderful light. In this case, the light is so clean and so beautifully executed that the light itself is a stronger subject in the photograph than the glass of wine or the grapes. This image is really a photograph about the light and how it describes the form, shape and surface qualities of the glass and grapes. That's what makes it such a strong and elegant image.

There is however one fly in the ointment. Can you guess what it is?

Looks to me like there are a couple of bad grapes in the lower right corner of the image. You could probably fix them in PS but changing them during the shoot would have been the right thing to do.

I'd be proud to have that image in my portfolio.

This is a beautiful image! Good Job!

"To them, the bike is just garage clutter. To us, it's a loaded Beretta, a half-million in cash, and a forged passport under the floorboards." - Dan Walsh

" Enjoy every sandwich!"

Every single camera and all of the lenses that I've ever owned.
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009   #7
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 13427

That second shot is beautiful, Brian.

I really love the way the gold backdrop works with the light.

I am learning a lot just by viewing your work and reading, Brooks CC.

Do you mind if I ask how you lit this shot ? And, how high of an ISO did you have to shoot at not using a flash ?

~ Kat
KatMitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009   #8
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 674
Editing OK?: No

The two small bubbles really make the shot, IMO. I would've tried a shot without the light or fill card on the left. I find the reflection a little distracting.
Black Ricco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009   #9
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMitchell View Post
That second shot is beautiful, Brian.

I really love the way the gold backdrop works with the light.

I am learning a lot just by viewing your work and reading, Brooks CC.

Do you mind if I ask how you lit this shot ? And, how high of an ISO did you have to shoot at not using a flash ?

~ Kat
This was shot with a combo of strobe and a tungsten hot light spotlight. As you can see in the reflections, I had softboxes camera left and camera right. I used a Mole Richardson 300 watt spot light on the background and made the beam of light shape using barn doors. My ISO was set at 100 (the lowest it will go) I ALWAYS set my ISO to the lowest setting possible depending on the subject. In the case of a still life shots like this, no movement allows the lowest setting. The background hot light required more time to burn in so I had my lens set at f/22 (for good depth of field) and bracketed the shutter between 1 and 1.5 seconds to burn in the beam. I attached a pull back shot of the set up minus the soft box on the left side, instead in this shot I was using a white board for fill.

Sorry, Kind of long winded but I hope this helps!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pull back.jpg (132.0 KB, 341 views)
Old 12-11-2009   #10
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Ricco View Post
The two small bubbles really make the shot, IMO. I would've tried a shot without the light or fill card on the left. I find the reflection a little distracting.
I did a few with just one softbox camera right but it looked to blocked up. I lost to much detail in the grapes because of shadow contrast.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Commercial »

Share this topic: