Just got an offer (advice please)
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Commercial

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2009   #1
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 61045
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Just got an offer (advice please)

Hello, I just got called from a very prominent celebrity, and he needs some product photography done asap. It's about 15 clothing items and he needs a front back ect.. shot on a white floor basically.

No problem as my studio is setup so I can shoot on white with good lighting and stuff.

The issue is this: should I charge per item? per hour? If so do you mind sharing an average price for this type of service? I really have no clue and I don't want to scare the potential client away with to low or high of a price. He previously went to NYC to get work done and was not happy with the results.

Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated. I'm supposed to give him a call today at 3:30pm eastern and I want to present myself as good as possible!!

Thanks,
Jay

SonyAlphaLab.com
Now On Google+

Jason Hermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009   #2
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 48994
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default Re: Just got an offer (advice please)

You should consult with him / her before you begin so you are both in agreement with the rates. I would also suggest you have an agreement in writing as to how you are going to allow for the images to be used. If for publication, then you want to negotiate a limited use release of copyright. A day rate could be the way to go to cover your time.
Sigma Bigma 50mm to 500mm
Certified Professional Photographer
Certified Craftsman Photographer

Everyone has a photographic memory,some people just don't have any film!
camrajoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009   #3
Camel Breath

Thanks Thomas for your insight and advice on this I really appreciate it! I think I will probably do the block of time method, as I already have a price structure that works off that for portrait work.

Best,
Jay

SonyAlphaLab.com
Now On Google+

Old 11-05-2009   #4
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 840
Editing OK?: Ask First

I am not in NYC or even close, my rates as of right now are $1200 per day or $150 per hr. for commercial photography. That is for unlimited use of images, most of the time they only get ran one time maybe two...

Ron
Ron_Casas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009   #5
Camel Breath

Thanks Ron for the advice and insight on this. We ended up getting the job and did the shoot for about $75 an item. I really tried to bid it correctly, but the client was not willing to spend that much money, so I cut the price a bit. Great experience, but the editing time was horrific due to product quality!! Lesson learned though

Jay

SonyAlphaLab.com
Now On Google+

Old 11-15-2009   #6
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 245
Editing OK?: Ask first

Don't keep us in suspense. Photos?

With your amazing talent with both the camera and Photoshop, I'm sure the photos turned out amazing, just like everything else you guys do. I look forward to seeing them.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Commercial »

Share this topic: