Ceramics
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Commercial

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2009   #1
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 3249515
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Ceramics

Some of my wife's ceramics....looks much softer here than the full size photo on my computer.

27.jpg

This is how they were fired, a small above ground kiln and a larger pit fire seen in the background....
DSC_7180-1055.jpg

COMMENTS, CRITIQUES ALWAYS WELCOME

IMAGINE ALL THE PEOPLE LIVING LIFE IN PEACE
verdesardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009   #2
Photocamel Master

Default Re: Ceramics

Hmmm ... 50 views and NO comments? I wonder if that means it's good or bad?

Old 10-07-2009   #3
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 2943091
Editing OK?: Ask First

I think it's a good shot. The lighting might be a bit flat and I wonder why there's so much white space on the right side of the subject. The diagonal caused by the different heights of the front two pieces seem to make the image flow from right to left so there would be a reason to have more space to the left of the subjects instead of the right.

"To them, the bike is just garage clutter. To us, it's a loaded Beretta, a half-million in cash, and a forged passport under the floorboards." - Dan Walsh

" Enjoy every sandwich!"

Every single camera and all of the lenses that I've ever owned.
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009   #4
Photocamel Master

This is cropped of course I thought about centerint the pots but I did it that way because the photo is "heavier " on the right side. I feel the extra space there evens it out a bit. I really don't like static looking pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
I think it's a good shot. The lighting might be a bit flat and I wonder why there's so much white space on the right side of the subject. The diagonal caused by the different heights of the front two pieces seem to make the image flow from right to left so there would be a reason to have more space to the left of the subjects instead of the right.

Old 10-07-2009   #5
Photocamel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdesardog View Post
This is cropped of course I thought about centerint the pots but I did it that way because the photo is "heavier " on the right side. I feel the extra space there evens it out a bit. I really don't like static looking pictures.
Right, that's why I said there should be more space on the left than the right because the movement seems to be towards the left and there needs to be space on that side. I agree the pots shouldn't be centered.

"To them, the bike is just garage clutter. To us, it's a loaded Beretta, a half-million in cash, and a forged passport under the floorboards." - Dan Walsh

" Enjoy every sandwich!"

Old 10-07-2009   #6
Photocamel Master

Thank you for your comments I'll try one moved to the right and see how it feels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
Right, that's why I said there should be more space on the left than the right because the movement seems to be towards the left and there needs to be space on that side. I agree the pots shouldn't be centered.

Old 10-07-2009   #7
Photocamel Master

Post both crops at the same time so we can see the difference. I think you'll like the one with more space on the left and less space on the right.

" Enjoy every sandwich!"

Old 10-07-2009   #8
Photocamel Master

Here's the final version, my wife didn't like the heavy mat and I centered the image more.....(this small image is much softer looking than the large one I'm going to print)

27.jpg

Old 10-08-2009   #9
Photocamel Master

Your final version is centered which is OK too. I was suggesting something like the image crop on the left that has slightly more space to the left of the frame. Your final crop is on the right for comparison.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cropped.jpg (86.2 KB, 128 views)

" Enjoy every sandwich!"

Old 10-08-2009   #10
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 13427

Hi Michael,

Beautiful ceramic and photog work... I agree the balance of the suggested crop works better than the original.. However, looking at all 3, I much prefer the "centered" crop. The large Ceramic anchors it well and the smaller ones up front give it depth and make the centered crop work... It is more pleasing to the eyes to look at the centered composition too.

My first instinct with this material is to want a lot more texture detail..... Why is it softer when you shrink it down ? I still suggest a moderate unsharp mask...

Nice Work

Kat

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Commercial »

Share this topic: