Buisness poster project
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Commercial

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2009   #1
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 249974
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Buisness poster project

I am making a poster for my business. It will be something that I will be sending out to 100 or so private and government agencies. Attached is an idea I am working on. The two top and bottom areas are for different text and the tractor/trailer is in the middle. This is a test shot and I would like your input on how to shoot the unit for its best effect.

In our industry, the equipment is a very significant drawing card for customers. I believe a picture of it that best sets it off will do a lot to draw attention to our company.

I need the blue sky above the trees for text. I put in an image of the basic idea of the text when it is added in.

I shot the picture in the morning looking east, so the sun is on the other side of the equipment, I am pretty sure I need to change that to a late afternoon shot. One problem with that is that we usually have a cloud buildup in the afternoon and I would like to keep a clear sky for the text.

The tractor is silver in colour.

I did a bit of work in Photoshop to get rid of some debris that was behind and beside the unit.

Thanks for your input.

File Type: jpg PosterProject2.jpg (172.2 KB, 343 views)
CanadianRocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009   #2
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 180545
Default Re: Buisness poster project

Like the layout..works for me. Is the truck silver?? Seems like there's alot of refection fron the sky. Just went back and read your post..duh,silver. All the silver and chrome will be hard to keep the sky from reflecting off it. In product work youwant to keep your product true to form, just a thought.
Gregg
Old 06-28-2009   #3
Bactrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Jacob View Post
Like the layout..works for me. Is the truck silver?? Seems like there's alot of refection fron the sky. Just went back and read your post..duh,silver. All the silver and chrome will be hard to keep the sky from reflecting off it. In product work youwant to keep your product true to form, just a thought.
Gregg
Thanks for the input Gregg.

I like the layout also, and it works with the top and bottom text areas of the Poster. to me it pulls the eyes down to the truck and to the right. My biggest issue is the quality of the photo itself. I think I can do better with the light, just not sure the best way to approach it. If I can get the light right, then I can bracket it and try different camera settings. I am thinking same setting, different time of day.

What do you think?
Old 06-29-2009   #4
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 180545

If you're goin to shoot in same location get the sun on the left. That way you'll get reflection of the chrome and also try it with a pol.filter with the sun 45deg from the left.
Oh by the way I've in in trucking management for 15yrs, just feel into it.
Gregg
Old 07-10-2009   #5
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1439
Editing OK?: Ask First

Nice job! Looks good.

I'm glad it's not rocky mountain oysters.
Old 07-10-2009   #6
Bactrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikonfreak View Post
Nice job! Looks good.

I'm glad it's not rocky mountain oysters.
Thanks.

And the second comment would require a completely different type of school.

Old 07-10-2009   #7
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 748260
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: No

This looks great! Nice work.
That's a fab truck too.
Best Wishes
Al
AG34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009   #8
Bactrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG34 View Post
This looks great! Nice work.
That's a fab truck too.
Best Wishes
Al
Thanks Al, I still have a bit of work to do on the project.
Old 07-10-2009   #9
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1206139

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Jacob View Post
If you're goin to shoot in same location get the sun on the left. That way you'll get reflection of the chrome and also try it with a pol.filter with the sun 45deg from the left.
I agree with the sun position. Here you are shooting into a shadow side. Effectively you have a brighter background than subject. It may seem like a very old school, out of date notion but try putting the sun more to your back so its lighting the facing side of your subject. You will also be elliminating leading with a shadow.

Nice layout. I like the notion of the text bars above and below. I also like the front-to-rear of the truck being opposite of the left-to-right direction we read in. This makes the eye "Z" across the poster as a whole and gets some attention back to the big truck.

Steve

Facebook

Camel Equine Group

My Equine Album

Fireworks Album

Steven G Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009   #10
Bactrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songman45 View Post
I agree with the sun position. Here you are shooting into a shadow side. Effectively you have a brighter background than subject. It may seem like a very old school, out of date notion but try putting the sun more to your back so its lighting the facing side of your subject. You will also be elliminating leading with a shadow.

Nice layout. I like the notion of the text bars above and below. I also like the front-to-rear of the truck being opposite of the left-to-right direction we read in. This makes the eye "Z" across the poster as a whole and gets some attention back to the big truck.

Steve
Thanks Steve,

One of the objects of the text bars was darker ones at the top and bottom and lighter ones closer to the truck which would draw the eye to the truck. The front to rear Z thingy was just luck with no planning on my part.

In the commercial driver training business, the truck is everything when it comes to image and advertising, not the training. ( of course it doesn't hurt to have a good reputation either)

You would think it would be the training, but the most visible thing we have is the equipment.

Once the students start training, they understand that the truck is nothing and the training is everything. If you are taught correctly, no matter what truck you train in, you can drive anything.

But I got to get them in the front door and get their money or I am just a guy with a truck and trailer and not a driving school.

I am going to re-shoot this in a couple of weeks with the suggestions I am getting above.

Rocky

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Commercial »

Share this topic: