What lens for this, Nikon
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Commercial

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2009   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 180545
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default What lens for this, Nikon

New to Photo Camel.
Shot this with the 70-200, which is a great lens, but will be shooting jewelery also and need something to get alittle closer. I've been thinking of the Nikon 60 2.8 or the Tamron 90. What are your thoughts on this? If you have any pics for examples it would help out too.
Here's a link to the Lighting thread were I've posted some other pics. http://photocamel.com/forum/lighting...ing-these.html It'll explain what I'm starting to do.
Thanks for your help. Gregg

Old 05-29-2009   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 7045525
Default Re: What lens for this, Nikon

I think 60 would be too short. I have a Sigma 90 and I like working with it. You don't have to get so close that the camera interferes with the lighting - and if you shoot FX, that would be even more of an issue. I'd suggest looking at the 90-105 range, or even a little longer if you're FX.

I won't bother with examples, since mine is an OLD Sigma and you're not shopping for Sigma.
zemlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009   #3
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 493

Hi Gregg, Welcome to the Camel.
I would recommend a AF-S VR Micro-NIKKOR 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED
I shot this with it and it is a Great Lens. I find more and more I can do with it including Portraits...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mothers Ring_01.jpg (47.9 KB, 308 views)
Busk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009   #4
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by zemlin View Post
I think 60 would be too short. I have a Sigma 90 and I like working with it. You don't have to get so close that the camera interferes with the lighting - and if you shoot FX, that would be even more of an issue. I'd suggest looking at the 90-105 range, or even a little longer if you're FX.

I won't bother with examples, since mine is an OLD Sigma and you're not shopping for Sigma.
Sigmas fine..just wanted to make sure people didn't think I shot Cannon..I shoot a D300
Old 05-29-2009   #5
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busk View Post
Hi Gregg, Welcome to the Camel.
I would recommend a AF-S VR Micro-NIKKOR 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED
I shot this with it and it is a Great Lens. I find more and more I can do with it including Portraits...
Nice shot..Ya, would love a 105 but don't know if I want to afford it right now unless I can find a great used one.
Old 05-30-2009   #6
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 493

I know, I saved for one and still didn't know if I wanted to spend the money.
I am so Glad i did!
Busk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009   #7
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 7045525

Again, I have an old Sigma AF 90mm Macro. It has a "life size" add-on lens for the really close work. I'm quite pleased with the lens and have no plans to upgrade. I have read that the Sigma 105 is a bit better and doesn't use the add-on lens for 1:1 work.

This shot was focus-stacked with CombineZP

Here's one where I used the add-on 1:1 lens. Pixel peeking shows terrific detail in the feather. No complaints at all from me.
zemlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009   #8
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by zemlin View Post
Again, I have an old Sigma AF 90mm Macro. It has a "life size" add-on lens for the really close work. I'm quite pleased with the lens and have no plans to upgrade. I have read that the Sigma 105 is a bit better and doesn't use the add-on lens for 1:1 work.

This shot was focus-stacked with CombineZP

Here's one where I used the add-on 1:1 lens. Pixel peeking shows terrific detail in the feather. No complaints at all from me.
Nice crisp shots. The Sigma does a great job...thx
Old 06-27-2009   #9
Vicuna

Well, I got a good deal on a Nikon 60mm mico and shot a series for a potter fiend of mine. These have to be sized 1920X1920 for the jury's viewing. Quite pleased with sharpness.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC3429-lid vase show-ZAP.jpg (79.1 KB, 267 views)
Old 07-11-2009   #10
D.Rodgers

CamelKarma:

I would use a 60mm micro my self. I have all the Nikon lenses mentioned in this thread.
Its about the best design for 1:1.
I have a 70's 60mm and a current one they both have no keystone effect , and the deep lenses design keeps any stray light from causing lens flaring.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Commercial »

Share this topic: