Bottle Cap Product Shots - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Commercial

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2009   #11
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1200264
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Bottle Cap Product Shots

I agree that the reflected one is the best IMO, but If i may make a suggestion... Due to the properties of the glass, you get a "dual reflection". Being a novice, I'm not sure of the best surface to use, but I think I've heard of a mylar type material being used.

Kudos on the stacking... looks good

As always C&C welcome and appreciated

Cam: Nikon D300s, D90
Lenses: Nikon 18-135, 70-300VR, Nikon 300mm 2.8 AF-S, Nikon 50mm 1.8G AF-S, Nikon TC14E-II, Tamron 90mm 2.8
Nikon 12-24 f/4G, Nikon SB-600 Flash
Manfrotto 393

My Flickr Page

My Facebook Page
bill_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009   #12
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 7045525

Yeah, the dual reflection is certainly there. I will probably pick up some thin plastic sheet and make a frame for it for shots like this.

The way these images are typically used, the dual reflection isn't really an issue.
zemlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009   #13
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 75
Editing OK?: Ask first

Very cool shots. The lighting is great on these, great work!
fire_photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009   #14
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 1298

Tile works great as a reflective surface.

"The most worth-while thing is to try to put happiness into the lives of others." B.P
5D Mk II
Canon: 50 f1.8, 24-105L f4 IS, 100 f2.8 Macro
EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS USM
580 EXII Vivitar 285HV, Elinchrom EL-Skyport
seab3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009   #15
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 19298
Editing OK?: Ask First

While I will second what others have said, it really is a good series and shows a good working knowledge of lighting and image capture. High praises for the shooting, and don't take the following personally.

Being a working commercial photographer, I have to ask, why insource this kind of work?

I can understand the cost factor, essentially, they get your work for a paycheck they already pay you for?

Should the graphic artist be concerned that he'll be replaced with somebody that "kinda sorta" knows Illustrator, Corel or Publisher?

What if they decide to outsource the M.E. portion of their work to somebody cheaper?

In my mind, there's a fine line between efficient utilization of existing resources and rubbing two pennies together to make a dime. While this is becoming common practice these days, at some point, probably already past, shouldn't we be asking what the implications of insourcing photography are?

Doesn't John Q. Photo deserve to make a living too? I honestly believe that such short sighted thinking is what is killing any and every local economy, and darn few companies look at the systemic effect taking the work inhouse creates. That $400 or $500 paid out will ripple through the local economy and multiply, from the local gas station to the grocery store, creating jobs and cashflow that is sorely needed today.

Personally, while we can all point to Wall St. for our current financial mess, the mirror looks both ways. The socio-ecomonic ramifications of not paying skilled professionals, many of whom make it their life's work, can be quite chilling, if one is willing to look beyond their balance sheet.

erie
epatsellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009   #16
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 7045525

FWIW, our folks say that my photography far exceeds what they would get from paid pros - and they've paid me for some of it. I asked to do the work - they didn't ask me.

If my company can find better engineering talent for less money, I'd expect them to go there. That's business, and I am not entitled to anything beyond my paycheck for a day's work, nor to I deserve any special treatment. I need to earn my keep.
zemlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009   #17
KmH

CamelKarma:

I take it that means you're making those nice images on a work for hire basis?
Old 08-01-2009   #18
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

Great shots! I'm doing the same thing for my company, product shots for web, CD and print catalogs. I'm a technical writer and take close up shots of our CO2 inflators being assembled for inclusion in the instructions on building the products. It was a natural progression from there for them to have me do product photography and save the cost of a "professional". It's hard work, but seeing the products displayed is great satisfaction.
pshphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009   #19
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 4525

Excellent work.
Mavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009   #20
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by zemlin View Post
I work for Closure Systems International - a closure manufacture (that's bottle caps for most folks), and I've started doing the product photography they used to send out to professionals. Here are a few samples from my latest shoot for a press release on a new product. My official job is as a mechanical engineer - I do machine design.
Feel free to C&C

Subject on glass - white foam core background. Blue gel for blue background. Took a shot with no caps on the glass - used that and a mask layer to lose the reflections on the first shot. DIY soft box camera left. CD Jewel Case covered with foil tape as a reflector camera right. Strobes fired with CTR-301 ebay triggers.
Great job dear
ur all shot very nice

Family Portraits
lovelysri is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Commercial »

Share this topic: