Tearsheet
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Commercial

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2009   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 1109
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Tearsheet

Some of my previous posts here were not well received, and yes some of the criticism was warranted. The image in this publication was not my best work, but it was published nonetheless. The before image (smaller one) was NOT taken by me, but the credits lead you to think that. I only shot the completed version.

My wife, the designer, should get most of the credit. I was only the camera jockey.

Caught in the camera eye"

[40d] [Canon 50mm 1.4] [Canon 28-135mm] [Canon 17-40mm L] [Canon 70-200mm L 2.8] [Sigma 10-20mm] [Canon 430EX] [3 Nikon SB-80dx] [Nikon SB-50] [Sunpak MS4000 monolight]
jbrooksga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009   #2
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 497479
Default Re: Tearsheet

Congratulations and welcome to the reality, where enough good enough is most of the time, well, good enough,even if it's not perfect.

Korman
korman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009   #3
Vicuna

Part of the charm in the photo was the clear visibility through the window. I had it exposed just right. But you can see they covered it up with the graphic.

[40d] [Canon 50mm 1.4] [Canon 28-135mm] [Canon 17-40mm L] [Canon 70-200mm L 2.8] [Sigma 10-20mm] [Canon 430EX] [3 Nikon SB-80dx] [Nikon SB-50] [Sunpak MS4000 monolight]
Old 05-29-2009   #4
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 3876
Editing OK?: Ask first

Don't sweat it. After the images are always printed the process of printing always screws up something in the image. Don't give another thought to it, you did good.

This fight has been an ongoing one between the Photographers, Art Directors and Printers for years. It wont go away over night, and if you ask anyone they all will say that there's nothing wrong with the way it printed. This is what they had in mind, you can jump up and down all you want it wont change anything except maybe give you an ulcer.

Not worth it. Just be thankful it was put into print and then look for the next one. Having your images printed is addicting though.

Nikon D700
Nikon D80 w/Kit 18-135
Nikon 70-300 VR f:4.5-5.6
Nikon 60mm f:2.8 Macro
Sigma 24-70 f:2.8 DG DF Aspherical
Old Vivitar 283, Nikon SB900
Manfrotto Tripod 055XB w/Manfrotto 486 RC2 Ball Head
Not4wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009   #5
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 2943091
Editing OK?: Ask First

The larger photo's not bad. I'd like to see some light coming through the window on the left and splashing across the wall above the tub. Unfortunately the layout of the page is so bad the window and that part of the wall is now obscured by that huge white panel of type.

Hard to believe that bathroom make-over cost $33,600 ! That's crazy!

"To them, the bike is just garage clutter. To us, it's a loaded Beretta, a half-million in cash, and a forged passport under the floorboards." - Dan Walsh

" Enjoy every sandwich!"

Every single camera and all of the lenses that I've ever owned.
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009   #6
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 78230
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by korman View Post
Congratulations and welcome to the reality, where enough good enough is most of the time, well, good enough,even if it's not perfect.

Korman
Amen to that! Took me a while to get that through my head, and I still have to remind myself frequently.

jbrooksga -- Congrats on the tear!
http://sambeasley.tumblr.com
SamBeasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009   #7
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 45802
Editing OK?: Ask First

There was a nice article on thestrobist.com not long ago about lighting your house for market ads.

I like what you did here. Nice job.
Old 08-11-2009   #8
Vicuna

Happy to have more tearsheets to post today.

Old 09-01-2009   #9
Vicuna

Last week, we were the recipient of a NKBA Calla award for best large kitchen. I remember that these photos were not that well received here initially, however they were good enough to win a competition. They are certainly not my best work, but I am proud of the award.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg winners006.jpg (91.2 KB, 224 views)

Old 09-10-2009   #10
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 28
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrooksga View Post
Last week, we were the recipient of a NKBA Calla award for best large kitchen. I remember that these photos were not that well received here initially, however they were good enough to win a competition. They are certainly not my best work, but I am proud of the award.
The Georgia Chapter of the National Kitchen & Bath Association presented the Calla Awards for the winning entries in the 2009 Design Competition
2009 | The Calla Awards | Georgia Chapter Design Competition
The fact is the award was made for "Large Kitchen Design" by "Lisa Brooks Allied ASID" not the photographs. She should be proud.
2009 Calla Awards - Large Kitchen

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Commercial »

Share this topic: