Product Photography C&C - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Commercial

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2009   #11
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 424
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Product Photography C&C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
Bigger and more translucent. Check out this lighting theme I wrote for Photo.Net.....

WEEKLY LIGHTING THEME: Controlling Specular Highlights............ - Photo.net Lighting Equipment and Techniques Forum
Cool, I like your article and your experiment. Why does the specular highlight become more transparent as the softbox gets bigger?
p.s. I think your gear is cool

member of ASMP
www.kevinkaminphoto.com
photography blog
kkamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010   #12
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 2943091
Editing OK?: Ask First

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkamin View Post
Cool, I like your article and your experiment. Why does the specular highlight become more transparent as the softbox gets bigger?
Kevin,

Thanks, though that thread is more of a demonstration than an experiment.

The specular highlight becoming more tramsparent is the result of moving the softbox much closer to the subject. Moving a diffused light source such as a softbox closer to the subject does make it relatively larger but it also makes it much brighter.

It's this increase in the amount of light from the closer softbox which allows a change in exposure settings on the camera ie: from f/5.6 to f/16 and that allows the specular highlight to be less than white or more transparent.

Using a larger softbox AND moving it very close to the subject increases that effect.

"To them, the bike is just garage clutter. To us, it's a loaded Beretta, a half-million in cash, and a forged passport under the floorboards." - Dan Walsh

" Enjoy every sandwich!"

Every single camera and all of the lenses that I've ever owned.
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010   #13
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
Kevin,

Thanks, though that thread is more of a demonstration than an experiment.

The specular highlight becoming more tramsparent is the result of moving the softbox much closer to the subject. Moving a diffused light source such as a softbox closer to the subject does make it relatively larger but it also makes it much brighter.

It's this increase in the amount of light from the closer softbox which allows a change in exposure settings on the camera ie: from f/5.6 to f/16 and that allows the specular highlight to be less than white or more transparent.

Using a larger softbox AND moving it very close to the subject increases that effect.
But when you switched softboxe sizes from the 2'x3' to the 3'x4', the distance remained constant. Why did the highlight become more translucent? Thanks for everything; I'm learning a lot. : )
p.s. I think your gear is cool

member of ASMP
www.kevinkaminphoto.com
photography blog
kkamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010   #14
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 2943091

The distance from the subject to the front screen of the softbox decreased because the larger softbox is deeper so the front screen was closer to the subject. The front screen of the softbox is the light source. If I remember correctly in that demonstration I did also move the softbox even closer to the subject. The front screen of the overhead softbox was only inches above the subject, just out of the crop.

Another consideration is that the larger softbox adds more wrap around light to the subject which puts even more light onto the subject relative to the specular reflection's density.

By the way this only works with a subject surface that's less efficient at reflecting light (less smooth) than a mirror. A mirror like surface would always show the specular highlight as an opaque white.

"To them, the bike is just garage clutter. To us, it's a loaded Beretta, a half-million in cash, and a forged passport under the floorboards." - Dan Walsh

" Enjoy every sandwich!"

Every single camera and all of the lenses that I've ever owned.
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010   #15
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 2293116
Editing OK?: No

You did a very nice job!
Annapolis, MD
http://www.posneg.com
DaveB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010   #16
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 2121022

Wow, those shot are a cut above! Probably overkill for eBay, but I know how difficult product shots can be. I have a light tent for such occasions.
Old 01-05-2010   #17
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 5188665

For selling things on Ebay those images are quite adequate- better than most of what you see there.

As a commercial shot- check it out! Take a look at the cover shots and ads for equipment in the top photo magazines. They emphasize the lines of the camera in the same way commercial photographers emphasize the lines of a sleek automobile. On all the camera and lens ads there is light reflected into the lens to bring out its brilliance just like portraitists bring out the rich colors in their subject's eyes. The look of that fancy glass "SELLS"! Some of those coatings are so "glamorous"!

Going by the shadow under the camera, I would bring the light slightly more to the back of the camera thereby emphasizing its "lines" and pump in more reflected light to bring out the texture on the body and illuminate that lens.

Ed
Old 10-06-2011   #18
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 108

They are some great shots!, I have just started some product photos and can really appreciate how hard they are to get right. Nice one!!
viking122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011   #19
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 313787

Nice shots... I often use a softbox directly above my subject and seldom see other photographers do the same...

Richard Crowe
Escondido, California
richardpcrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012   #20
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 815

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Shapiro View Post

Going by the shadow under the camera, I would bring the light slightly more to the back of the camera thereby emphasizing its "lines" and pump in more reflected light to bring out the texture on the body and illuminate that lens.

Ed
Bingo. Move the box subject left and slightly forward. The textures and lines will pop. You can also loose the heavy shadow directly under the subject which isn't optimal. A softer casting shadow (right and back somewhat) will be more pleasing.

All opinion of course.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Commercial »

Share this topic: