Kitchen photos
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Commercial

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2008   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 1109
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Kitchen photos

My wife and I are owners of a kitchen design company. I just happen to be the photographer for our completed projects. Never posted any of these here before, so I am doing so now and welcome your feedback. Kitchens can be hard to do with respect to capturing the right angles and dealing with lighting. Here are a few from our shoot last week.

Resolution has been reduced greatly for posting here. I shoot most of these with a 10-22mm for the wider angles, so you might see the fisheye effect from time to time.

File Type: jpg Major06 reduced .JPG (97.8 KB, 868 views)
File Type: jpg Major16 reduced.JPG (100.1 KB, 862 views)
File Type: jpg Major27 reduced.JPG (57.9 KB, 867 views)

[40d] [Canon 50mm 1.4] [Canon 28-135mm] [Canon 17-40mm L] [Canon 70-200mm L 2.8] [Sigma 10-20mm] [Canon 430EX] [3 Nikon SB-80dx] [Nikon SB-50] [Sunpak MS4000 monolight]
jbrooksga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008   #2
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 2359
Default Re: Kitchen photos

Beautiful kitchen and beautiful work on the photos.

What aperture did you use? It looks like the focus falls off when it gets to the stove.
Pesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008   #3
Vicuna

Thanks.

Most of the wide angle shots were at F11. I'm not sure if the fall off is due to the aperture or the lens itself. The Sigma 10-22mm is a nice lens, but it is not the cream of the crop.

[40d] [Canon 50mm 1.4] [Canon 28-135mm] [Canon 17-40mm L] [Canon 70-200mm L 2.8] [Sigma 10-20mm] [Canon 430EX] [3 Nikon SB-80dx] [Nikon SB-50] [Sunpak MS4000 monolight]
Old 08-19-2008   #4
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 2943091
Editing OK?: Ask First

Those are nice shots. I think you did a good job. You chose a good camera height and the point of view looks right.

On the second shot I would have removed the chair that's blocking the stove and had just one chair showing. On the third shot I would have shown more of the stove with a lower camera position and more distance from the subject. The faucet in the fourth shot is a bit too centered in the frame for me.

Overall, a very nice job.

You can straighten the keystoning of the verticals in PhotoShop.

"To them, the bike is just garage clutter. To us, it's a loaded Beretta, a half-million in cash, and a forged passport under the floorboards." - Dan Walsh

" Enjoy every sandwich!"

Every single camera and all of the lenses that I've ever owned.
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008   #5
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 340

Agree with Brooks, also the backsplash is a bit hot. Some diffusion or ND on the lights might help, or pull a bulb or two if you can.

Other than that nit picking, Great job.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008   #6
Vicuna

That was my biggest concern about the light bars in that area. With the long exposure, they are a problem. Since they cannot be dimmed, the other option is to turn them off which creates other problems. I run into this kind of stuff all of the time. What would be the best way to diffuse them temporarily? Or even diffuse a can light that has no dimmer?

Old 08-20-2008   #7
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 2943091

Baack in the day I used to shoot these kind of interiors with a view camera and 4x5 film.

Often the shutter speed was several seconds and if the light switch wasn't in the scene I would have my assistant control the brightness of those accent lights by turning them off during the longer exposure. Some lights would stay on for the entire exposure and some would be turned off earlier if they were too bright. Fluorescent tubes were wrapped with a 30 or 40 magenta gel to bring their color up to a daylight balance.

If the point of view in the room included outside windows, I'd use strobe for fill. If there were no outside windows I'd use bounced quartz lights.

Other than turning the lights off early in the exposure there's not much you can do unless you want to carry different wattage bulbs and replace the overly bright bulbs to try to bring their brightness levels closer to your exposure.

You could try using diffusion material but you run the risk of overheating the fixture and causing a fire and you will change the quality of the light so that it no longer projects along the wall or onto the counter properly.

"To them, the bike is just garage clutter. To us, it's a loaded Beretta, a half-million in cash, and a forged passport under the floorboards." - Dan Walsh

" Enjoy every sandwich!"

Every single camera and all of the lenses that I've ever owned.
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008   #8
MrB
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 59253

Nice-looking cabinetry. Well documented.
Old 08-24-2008   #9
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrooksga View Post
That was my biggest concern about the light bars in that area. With the long exposure, they are a problem. Since they cannot be dimmed, the other option is to turn them off which creates other problems. I run into this kind of stuff all of the time. What would be the best way to diffuse them temporarily? Or even diffuse a can light that has no dimmer?
Easiest approach (and with a good solid tripod) is bracket exposures and blend later. So for example shoot a frame a stop darker then layer it up in photoshop (shift drag will align it), then add a hide all layer mask and paint back some detail into the back splash with a low opacity brush.
stuped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008   #10
Vicuna

One of the new tools in Lightroom 2 was used to address the overexposed counter lighting problem. Really neat toolset in the new version. The lights are still bright, but much better than before.

My shoot today will be using some strobes for the first time. We will see how it goes. The second shot here was some that I tested yesterday. This kitchen had a light fixture with no dimmer, so it shadows on the ceiling. Not a bad test overall other than that.

File Type: jpg 2808062350_baa5a33829_o.jpg (137.9 KB, 755 views)

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Commercial »

Share this topic: