Kitchen photos - Page 3
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Commercial

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2008   #21
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Kitchen photos

That perspective distortion can easily be prevented, in-camera – with most lenses except extreme wide angles, by keeping the lens axis precisely horizontal. A grid in the viewfinder, or a bubble level in the hotshoe, can be very helpful here.
The resulting image may benefit from cropping in PP, but the perpendiculars are, and will remain, perpendicular before any further PP has been done.
DonKeyGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008   #22
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 1109
Editing OK?: Yes

The perspective problem is a product of the Sigma 10-22mm lens. It is obviously more of a problem at the wider ranges. Most of my interior images were taken with this lens, and it takes some corrections in PS to compensate.

My newest lens will be less of a problem (17-40mm) but it cannot be used in all shots. My camera has a 1.3 crop factor.

[40d] [Canon 50mm 1.4] [Canon 28-135mm] [Canon 17-40mm L] [Canon 70-200mm L 2.8] [Sigma 10-20mm] [Canon 430EX] [3 Nikon SB-80dx] [Nikon SB-50] [Sunpak MS4000 monolight]
jbrooksga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008   #23
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 2943091

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrooksga View Post
The perspective problem is a product of the Sigma 10-22mm lens. It is obviously more of a problem at the wider ranges. Most of my interior images were taken with this lens, and it takes some corrections in PS to compensate.
As stated above, the distortion problems in these images is from not having the camera level. If you aim the camera down or up you will get converging lines with any lens. It's more noticable with wide angle lenses but it's also a problem with normal lenses and telephoto lenses. Your new lens will have the same issues if the camera is not level.

The in-camera solution is to use a shift lens. The next best solution is to use a wider lens, level the camera and re-crop the image later.

You can also correct these converging vertical lines in PS as I mentioned earlier in this thread.

"To them, the bike is just garage clutter. To us, it's a loaded Beretta, a half-million in cash, and a forged passport under the floorboards." - Dan Walsh

" Enjoy every sandwich!"

Every single camera and all of the lenses that I've ever owned.
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008   #24
Vicuna

So would I be going down the right path by getting a quality tripod with some type of leveling indicator?

[40d] [Canon 50mm 1.4] [Canon 28-135mm] [Canon 17-40mm L] [Canon 70-200mm L 2.8] [Sigma 10-20mm] [Canon 430EX] [3 Nikon SB-80dx] [Nikon SB-50] [Sunpak MS4000 monolight]
Old 12-15-2008   #25
Photocamel Master

Quote:
So would I be going down the right path by getting a quality tripod with some type of leveling indicator?
You should get a tripod head with separate axis adjustments, not a ball head. Then use a standard 6" carpenters level to check that the camera is level. Place the level vertically against the front of the lens and level the cameras tilt up and down axis. Then place the level horizontaly on a flat top surface of the camera and level the camera for left and right tilt axis.

There are some instances where you need to tilt the camera up or down. You might need to tilt the camera down to show the top surface of a kitchen counter top. Or you might have to tilt the camera up to show a skylight or a lighting fixture in the ceiling.

If you don't have a shift lens or the shift lens won't shift far enough In those cases use the widest lens that you have at the greatest distance from the point of interest that you can so you have as loose a crop as possible. Level the camera for left and right side tilt and then aim the camera up or down as needed.

Fix the converging vertical lines later in Photoshop.

Look at other photography in kitchen magazines or appliance brochures that feature full kitchens and you will see that the vertical lines in those professional photos are corrected for this type of distortion. You should do the same.

"To them, the bike is just garage clutter. To us, it's a loaded Beretta, a half-million in cash, and a forged passport under the floorboards." - Dan Walsh

" Enjoy every sandwich!"

Old 12-15-2008   #26
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 32

These shots are OK. Not great. A couple of points touched on by other commenters are valid concerns but don't seem to be of much concern on your part.

My main concern is the DOF is terrible. I know you are telling us the lens is not the best. In your first post you state "My wife and I are owners of a kitchen design company". IMHO as the owners of a kitchen design company you would fire any professional photographer who was presenting you with photos this bad. You would expect the photographer to do the job right. F11 on a 10-22mm lens focused properly at infinity should have a hyperfocal distance that would cover the whole area in a sharp focus. In the first 4 photos we see no apparent sharp areas but we do see the foreground and background being greatly out of focus with the middle being slightly less out of focus. Other than it being a cheap lens (not proven) it could be camera movement or operator error on the part of the photographer not knowing what they are doing. F11 would not be my choice to use.

You have too many dark spots in the photos as well. Many people have commented and tried to give hints about resolving this problem. IHMO I don't think these things bother you much because you just keep posting less than acceptable images. You seem to be in a "Oh it's good enough" mode and I hear that vibe coming through the thread. This is one of the problems with people who don't know what the standards of a profession photographer should be and the person being excited about doing ok on a tough subject.

I would recommend you invest in a Real professional photographer and stick to the kitchen design work. When people try to be the jack of all trades they end up being much less than the best at all of the tasks.
JohnnyBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008   #27
Vicuna

Quote:
I would recommend you invest in a Real professional photographer and stick to the kitchen design work. When people try to be the jack of all trades they end up being much less than the best at all of the tasks.
Those are very constructive comments to someone trying to learn a new craft.

If my photos are so bad then why were some of my other images recently published in a trade magazine? BTW, it is not my job to design the kitchen. This type of marketing activity is my responsibility and I've invested a lot of time and money learning it.

I could have gone to many other forums for such well thought out insults. That's ok, because I won't be wasting your time by posting my photos in this forum anymore.

Old 12-30-2008   #28
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 32

Wow! A little sensitive around the edges are we? You posted the images for a critique and then you go whining about somebody not patting your head and telling you lies. Maybe you should stop shooting if you can't take the critiques. I see crap in magazines all the time. That doesn't mean it was good it just shows what kind of crap is being published. If you are being published then what the hell do you need us for? You da pro man!

Your first sentence on your first post was "My wife and I are owners of a kitchen design company". I am truly sorry that I just assumed from that sentence that you designed kitchens! Dah, what a fool I was to assume such a thing based on your statement. If you don't design kitchens then what do the owners of a "KITCHEN DESIGN COMPANY" do?

I didn't post until after you kept putting the same crap up with excuses everytime for your lack of improvement. You kept blaming everything but yourself for the problems. I know as a pro I don't do such a thing. I either do it right or I get fired by the company who wanted it done right. But since you own a Kitchen Design Company you don't have to worry about getting fired for doing a substandard job.

I see you own a company called Camera Eye Photo were you offer the same substandard work to others. You posted the same stuff on your website that you posted here. So you must plan on sharing your crappy work with anyone dumb enough to hire you. This is what is wrong with business today!

Yet you want the photographers who know how to do it to tell you how to do it. That's fine but you didn't listen to the people who told you what the problems were. You just kept posting more of the same stuff.

Can't say I am sorry to see you pissed. Too bad it won't change your business practices. Loser is the would my kid would use to describe you and your business practices! But being on the Camel I won't do that. Sad is what I will say!

Hey I have an idea, you probably won't like it but why don't you post the crappy photos of Aubrey and Brandi from your website. There is always some sucker for pretty girls. Someone will pat your pretty little head, making you feel good about yourself and tell you that your not just a GWC trying to play at being a photographer.

Grow up! You are trying to play with the big boys and your just a runt!

Quote:
Those are very constructive comments to someone trying to learn a new craft.

If my photos are so bad then why were some of my other images recently published in a trade magazine? BTW, it is not my job to design the kitchen. This type of marketing activity is my responsibility and I've invested a lot of time and money learning it.

I could have gone to many other forums for such well thought out insults. That's ok, because I won't be wasting your time by posting my photos in this forum anymore.
JohnnyBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008   #29
Photocamel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBell View Post
Wow! A little sensitive around the edges are we? ............
Wow ! Next time you're going to deliver a rant like that, how about a little warning? Something like this would do.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Drama Queen.jpg (38.1 KB, 64 views)

" Enjoy every sandwich!"

Old 12-31-2008   #30
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 28
Editing OK?: No

Jason,

Many of the posts giving you tips seemed to have been ignored. You mention wanting to improve your quality, which is necessary. A Sigma lens will not help. If your preference is Canon, then get a full frame and a TS lens. Several things really stand out. Your images are to dark, the cabinet detail is being lost, perspective is off, color is not correct.

You say your a cabinet design business. Do you just design using various manufactures styles or are you the manufacture. Do you do the installs with your own crew? Why do I ask? The cabinet shops I deal with in Los Angeles design and manufacture. They want Professional photos of their jobs which typically run in the 6 figure range. Next month, I will complete the final shoot of a $1.25M cabinet job in a LA condo. BTW 90% of the time I use available light, to show the feel of the room.

Being you failed to supply the URL for your trade publication here it is - Article Search Results
the quality there is the same as you have posted here. It appears you only have one photo the bathroom the rest were taken by Barbara Brown.

Manufactures want top quality photos. Store front designers using software provided by a manufacture, just want photos. Sort of like taking snapshots of one's children. Just to show the jobs they have done.

Last edited by desertrat_ps; 12-31-2008 at 11:16 AM.. Reason: add url
desertrat_ps is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Commercial »

Share this topic: