Kitchen photos - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Commercial

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2008   #11
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 2943091
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Kitchen photos

J,

An easy correction for off verticals in Photoshop is "edit" "transform" "distort". Grab the corner handles and pull the image in the direction needed to correct the verticals.

It does help to shoot with a looser crop or wider lens because you will lose some image when you re-crop.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kitchen.jpg (180.8 KB, 727 views)

"To them, the bike is just garage clutter. To us, it's a loaded Beretta, a half-million in cash, and a forged passport under the floorboards." - Dan Walsh

" Enjoy every sandwich!"

Every single camera and all of the lenses that I've ever owned.
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008   #12
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 28
Editing OK?: No

A couple of things really stand out. 1st is the color balance is off. 2nd use a modified HDR method to obtain the correct exposure. When I shoot interiors I usually take 3 shots -1, normal, +1 merge them in PS in layers. Also shooting RAW helps.
desertrat_ps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008   #13
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 1109
Editing OK?: Yes

Another project that was done more recently.....this was after I started using off camera strobes.

[40d] [Canon 50mm 1.4] [Canon 28-135mm] [Canon 17-40mm L] [Canon 70-200mm L 2.8] [Sigma 10-20mm] [Canon 430EX] [3 Nikon SB-80dx] [Nikon SB-50] [Sunpak MS4000 monolight]
jbrooksga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008   #14
Former Camel

CamelKarma: 126

Nice kitchens. And you seem to know how to do lighting. But imo most of them are too darkly lit. Kitchens need clear bright, light working areas. My biggest problem is the persistent perspective distortion. I think you should consider investing in a tilt-shift lens, and a bubble level, to keep your horizons horizontal and your perpendiculars perpendicular. But if you have enough resolution you can also achieve that by shooting with absolutely horizontal lens axis and a crop later. It's a lot cheaper too...

Have fun!
Take12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008   #15
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take12 View Post
Nice kitchens. And you seem to know how to do lighting. But imo most of them are too darkly lit. Kitchens need clear bright, light working areas. My biggest problem is the persistent perspective distortion. I think you should consider investing in a tilt-shift lens, and a bubble level, to keep your horizons horizontal and your perpendiculars perpendicular. But if you have enough resolution you can also achieve that by shooting with absolutely horizontal lens axis and a crop later. It's a lot cheaper too...

Have fun!
I agree with you, and I think part of the issue is the Sigma 10-20mm lens AND the fact that some of my aperture settings were not optimal. I have a few shoots coming up, and I will be trying out a new lens on some of them. Looking to see if the 17-40mm L lens produces different results. It should have less distortion.

[40d] [Canon 50mm 1.4] [Canon 28-135mm] [Canon 17-40mm L] [Canon 70-200mm L 2.8] [Sigma 10-20mm] [Canon 430EX] [3 Nikon SB-80dx] [Nikon SB-50] [Sunpak MS4000 monolight]
Old 11-30-2008   #16
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 56124

Brooks' post is the least expensive alternative to straightening the verticals. Nikon's 24mm PC costs $1895. Ouch! And that's if you can find one to buy! But yes, you will always get criticized for the distorted verticals. Most magazines will not accept submissions where the lines are off. Overall, I like the shots...and I like your kitchen design work, too!
trapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008   #17
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Llama

CamelKarma: 11334

An alternative if you are really set on getting it straight in camera is one of the hack-a-back that lets you mount your DSLR to the back of a medium format camera, most of which are bellows with rails. A really nice camera is just a few hundred on ebay.. plus a lens and of course, the back. So for around 600 ish, you have a very workable tiltable camera rig. Or just correct it in Photoshop

For an amazing amount of information and a decent ebook, go here:

Photography For Real Estate

There is or was an interview with the author here on Photocamel, this was the very thing that got me on these boards was a notice about the interview.

He has a lot of good info regarding shooting interiors and the tricks and traps.

Facebook Fan Page
Fan Page
lightandimages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008   #18
Vicuna

Here is one of my latest....hopefully the results are progressing. This was taken at night with no natural lighting coming in. Stainless steel appliances are always a challenge.

Old 12-11-2008   #19
Vicuna

and a bath I shot that same day....

Old 12-11-2008   #20
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 497479

In your images I had the impression, that there's a slight perspective distortions. While the door in the middle and the right side was reasonably vertical, the cupboard on the left side seemed to hang outwards to the left. I took the liberty to try to correct it. You can see the difference best if you check in Photoshop (or whatever else you use) the verticals with a guideline. I left the white edge on the left to show how much the perspective was corrected, it should be cropped.

The same applies to the bathroom too.

Korman

korman is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Commercial »

Share this topic: