Dust on black acrylic? - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Commercial

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2014   #11
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 783595
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Dust on black acrylic?

That's a cute spider!

I've used glass and acrylic with a black backing, but I believe painted will work much better as it had double reflections with lots of CA. I didn't have trouble with static with the acrylic, but not sure why not. It was on black cotton fabric. But the glass gave a better reflection and black marble works nicely, too, if it's not scratched.

I've been meaning to pick up some tile next time I'm at a home improvement store.
stef@apl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014   #12
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask first

The spider sent me a-runnin for my momy |:-0

Nice shot Ross...
eofeapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014   #13
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 96920
Editing OK?: Ask First

Quote:
Originally Posted by zemlin View Post
I bought black acrylic. Used it once, and hated the dust and little scratches. I painted the back of a sheet of glass black. Much easier to keep clean - and flatter. I thought there would be issues with double reflections, but others assured me it was not so. They were right.

I don't do much product work on black, but I have this that was shot on the glass.
Looks fantastic. Thanks for sharing. Did you use a flat black spray
paint from a can to do that? I would think that it would peel and flake off.
xxredbeardxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014   #14
Alpaca

[QUOTE=DIGITALphotoconcept;2111148]I have never shot jewelry and while I am happy with my test shot I had a tough time keeping my black acrylic base clear of dust...do you guys have any tricks that you would be will to share? Is anti-static spray adequate?

Looks great. Lets try the black paint for the long run.
Thanks for sharing
Old 10-29-2014   #15
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469207

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Shapiro View Post
The Staticmaster brand brushes were said to have a radioactive element of some kind above the brush. At one point they were deemed to be dangerous and may have been removed from the market- I donít remember what the outcome of that was. I suppose one brush would not be all that dangerous but a case load of them being shipped to the dealers may have caused a whole lot of clicking on the Geiger counter!
If I remember correctly, the radioactive material was an alpha particle emitter, alpha particles being high-speed helium nuclei. Alpha particles themselves are not very penetrating; a sheet of typing paper or even a few inches of room air is enough to stop them. The outer layer of human skin, which is already dead anyway and can't become cancerous, is also enough to stop alpha particles. Once the alpha particles are stopped and they pick up a couple of electrons from the environment, presumably the electrically charged glass or plastic, they become innocuous helium atoms. The alpha particles themselves wouldn't make it through the glass wall of a Geiger tube, but the gamma rays that can accompany the emission of alpha particles would.

The real danger from alpha particles comes if you accidentally ingest some of the alpha emitter, where it can lodge in the body. Here, live tissue stops the majority of the rays. Although the alpha particles can't damage dead outer layers of skin in a way that would adversely affect health, they can do a lot more damage to live tissue than an equivalent quantity of any other kind of ionizing radiation, so alpha radiation inside the body is bad news indeed. Perhaps you have heard of radon gas seeping from the ground into the foundations of houses and thence into the living spaces. Although radon, being a noble gas, hence not chemically reactive, doesn't normally stay in the body very long, radon is nevertheless an alpha emitter and can cause health problems to the inhabitants of such buildings.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014   #16
Llama

CamelKarma: 9314096
Editing OK?: No

I tried painting glass black back in the early '70s and was somewhat surprised to discover that it worked, with no double reflections. Having proved the concept, I painted a 4x8 sheet of quarter-inch glass. It was pretty awesome.

You do have to be careful to get the glass really clean and dust-free before painting.

My PBase galleries
...and SmugMug
...and my book: Just Another Guy With a Camera - Photographs 1968-1976
dkcoats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014   #17
Alpaca

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkcoats View Post
I tried painting glass black back in the early '70s and was somewhat surprised to discover that it worked, with no double reflections. Having proved the concept, I painted a 4x8 sheet of quarter-inch glass. It was pretty awesome.

You do have to be careful to get the glass really clean and dust-free before painting.
Thanks for sharing.
Did you use a flat black spray paint from a can to do that?
I would think that it would peel and flake off.
Old 10-29-2014   #18
Llama

CamelKarma: 9314096
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxredbeardxx View Post
Thanks for sharing.
Did you use a flat black spray paint from a can to do that?
I would think that it would peel and flake off.
I used a spray can - don't remember if it was flat or glossy and I'm not sure it would make a difference. The paint doesn't peel or flake but it does scrape off pretty easily so you have to be careful or as somebody suggested previously back it with something to protect it.

My PBase galleries
...and SmugMug
...and my book: Just Another Guy With a Camera - Photographs 1968-1976
dkcoats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014   #19
Alpaca

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkcoats View Post
I used a spray can - don't remember if it was flat or glossy and I'm not sure it would make a difference. The paint doesn't peel or flake but it does scrape off pretty easily so you have to be careful or as somebody suggested previously back it with something to protect it.
Ok, thank you very much. I'm going to try this.
Old 10-30-2014   #20
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 5188665

Seems that theses brushes are still manufactured. Here are some of the specifications published by the manufacturer :

"StaticMaster brushes use the isotope Polonium 210. The Polonium depletes over time. It is recommended to replace the cartridge every 18 months. To ensure our customers get the longest use out of the devices all ionizing cartridges are made to order."

Ed

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Commercial »

Share this topic:

Tags
jewelry, product