First attempt at a product shoot - CC welcome - Page 3
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Commercial

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2013   #21
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 205528
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: First attempt at a product shoot - CC welcome

Agree - thank you to everyone for their input. I'm still working this out and will keep posting as I am going
andrewdorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013   #22
Alpaca

Quote:
Originally Posted by zemlin View Post
You could try putting the bottle on a sheet of glass so it's not sitting right on the white. That would help get rid of the white reflections on the bottom of the jar.

I'd take a bit of acetone and remove the inkjet print on the bottle.
I agree with the others ... need to be sharper, especially the contents of the bottle. I'd also like to see more color and definition in the product.

On this I brought in your image (left) and used the camera raw filter to bring up the shadows, clarity, vibrance, and saturation. I masked out the label so it only got a partial treatment. I also sharpened and used a HPF layer overlay to give things a bit more pop. If I wasn't being lazy I would have used a couple color filters to bring out the reds and greens in the peppers a bit more.

I feel your lighting is too much over-head and the product is being shadowed too much by the lid. A lower light might help brighten the product and might also help put some highlights in the bottle to give it a little more shape. One thing to try would be to hide a speedlight behind the bottle and fire it in from the back. That might or might not work to brighten up the peppers. Depends on how the light spreads through the product.

Something to try for shooting glass bottles is to put your light behind a second diffuser. I use a white fabric shower curtain. That will remove the hard edges of your soft box or other modifier in the reflections on the bottle. The bottles in the second images were lit from the sides with square 27" soft boxes. About a foot in front of the soft box there's a white shower curtain.

The lower light shows off the contours of the package but doesn't create big, hard-edges reflections. I wouldn't go for reflections down the side panels on the pepper jar, but I would try to give the jar a little more shape.
Great advice - I'm plugging away
Old 12-09-2013   #23
Alpaca

OK revamped my setup.

Soft boxes double defused from behind the image on both sides rimming the bottle. Black flags to control the rimming.

One light for the background and one light above and behind the camera - seems a little hot still Ill be bringing that down.

So here is the latest - I like the look (color of the content); its very close to me holding the jar in my had under sunlight.

I'm still getting a little flare down the center; I have the light double defused. Thought on how that appears within the photo and how would I eliminate that if needed?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6269.jpg (107.9 KB, 80 views)
Old 12-09-2013   #24
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 2943091

This is certainly better than your first image. What are the two vertical black stripes down the face of your soft boxes?

Do you have a small light source overhead and slightly in front of the jar causing those opaque white specular highlights on the lid and the top and bottom of the glass jar?

Without seeing your setup, but with the specular highlights on your bottle being so hard and so white, I'd guess that your lights are either too small or too far away from the jar. What are their sizes and how far from the set are they?

The point of using a diffusion material in front of the lights is to soften the edges of the soft boxes and their specular highlights, and that's accomplished by not lighting the entire diffusion material. Let the light fall off towards the edges of the diffusion material and make sure it is thick enough to diffuse the lights. Make sure that the diffusion material is as close to the jars as possible, ideally just out of the crop.

"To them, the bike is just garage clutter. To us, it's a loaded Beretta, a half-million in cash, and a forged passport under the floorboards." - Dan Walsh

" Enjoy every sandwich!"

Every single camera and all of the lenses that I've ever owned.
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013   #25
Alpaca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
This is certainly better than your first image. What are the two vertical black stripes down the face of your soft boxes?

Do you have a small light source overhead and slightly in front of the jar causing those opaque white specular highlights on the lid and the top and bottom of the glass jar?

Without seeing your setup, but with the specular highlights on your bottle being so hard and so white, I'd guess that your lights are either too small or too far away from the jar. What are their sizes and how far from the set are they?

The point of using a diffusion material in front of the lights is to soften the edges of the soft boxes and their specular highlights, and that's accomplished by not lighting the entire diffusion material. Let the light fall off towards the edges of the diffusion material and make sure it is thick enough to diffuse the lights. Make sure that the diffusion material is as close to the jars as possible, ideally just our of the crop.
I noticed those lines too. I just was able to figure out where they were coming from. I'm fixing the setup and will shoot it again and repost.
Old 12-09-2013   #26
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 6617978
Editing OK?: No

Wow, I am definitely impressed by your advancement from your previous shot. Excellent progress. I too would love to see your setup. You can get more valuable input from that as well.
Tat2Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013   #27
Alpaca

Ok, closing the gap. Ill take a photo of the setup and post next. Although a little out of focus
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6315.jpg (104.4 KB, 78 views)
Old 12-09-2013   #28
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 7045525
Editing OK?: Yes

Looking much better. I'd aim for less wrap of the white on the edges of the bottle. Bring the black cards in closer to the bottle - and behind the bottle to limit the wrap.
I'd still go for more color in the contents in post. There is nothing wrong with some enhancement of the appearance. When's the last time you got a burger that looked like the one pictured in the menu? The idea is to make it look as appealing as possible without being dishonest about it.
zemlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013   #29
Alpaca

OK, a new try, I think I am almost there

Just wish I could get rid of the flare right on the top. I have tried to mask it out but I seem to get too much of the light being filled in on the rest of the glass.

I'm shooting a setup shot with my phone and will post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6508.jpg (104.5 KB, 74 views)
Old 12-18-2013   #30
Alpaca

Finally getting back to this. Was doing other work and then got that darn flu.

Anyhow, I changed tactics. I started using continuous lighting in place of strobes. Here is a shot from today and my setup. Including homemade diffusers

Also, the client wanted the jars shot looking down a little bit in place of shooting up.

File Type: jpg 20131218_174913.jpg (33.6 KB, 49 views)

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Commercial »

Share this topic: