Bamboo Bike
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Commercial

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2013   #1
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 19116378
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Bamboo Bike

Got a call this afternoon from the Concierge of a major hotel here in Las Vegas. She had a guest in town for a Bike Show that needed a single shot of a new protoype bike. It turned out it was just another color option of a bike they already market in 2 colors.

In talking with the client he needed a shot of this new color to add it to the web catalog and they wanted it to look like it had been shot as the same time as the other 2 on the site.

So after a quick look at the site I had them meet me at the studio with the bike where they had all of an hour available for me to set up and shoot the shot before they had to be a meeting with a retailer to show the bike.

Here is the shot I created for them

and you can see what they wanted me to make it fit in with at Welcome to Greenstar Bikes!

Bobby Deal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013   #2
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 497479
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Bamboo Bike

I find it interesting when looking at commercial images, specially when there are different versions available, sometimes I start to wonder about the conventions of a product category.

For watches it seems most are taken with the hands at 10 to 2. When I looked at your image and the ones on the website, I started to wonder, if for bikes there's a similar convention for the placement of valves on the wheels.

After a quick and unscientific review on Google, it seems that hiding the valves behind the forks, so the rim doesn't show the valve on the image is most common. If they're shown, in most cases they're for both wheels in the same place, either at 12 or 6 o'clock.

The usual pedal position seems to be straight ahead following the the line to the hub of the back wheel.

I wonder, is there any place where on can find these kind of information or does anyone need to figure that out n its own by trial until such details are noticed?

Korman
korman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013   #3
Photocamel Master

In the case of this bike it was such a short notice project I had no time to research anything. They showed me the 2 existing images they wanted me to match and we got everything we could as close as we could. I asked about the valve stems but this bike is a single speed so the crank does not freewheel backwards meing we had to settle on stem position where it is because they wanted the pedal straight.

What I found interesting was they wanted the image absolutely flat, they did not want to see any dimensionality to the shape of the bike, no second fork, pedal etc.

From the time the phone range with the first call about this job until we were in the studio only 2 hours went by and in less than 4 hours the client had the final image.
Old 09-17-2013   #4
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 497479

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Deal View Post
What I found interesting was they wanted the image absolutely flat, they did not want to see any dimensionality to the shape of the bike, no second fork, pedal etc.
Yes, I found that interesting too. Seems bicycles are considered 2-dimensional objects, where the 3rd dimension is present only out of necessity. The slimmer the better. When thinking about it, that somewhat makes sense, as most of the design effort goes into the side view and cyclists seem to like their wheels perfectly round.

Korman
korman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013   #5
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 199623261

Nice looking bike, Bobby.
You work well under pressure.
Old 09-17-2013   #6
Photocamel Master

Thanks Wolf, that was one of the great things about this job, while the timeline for the project was short the client was great and there was never a sense of pressure to do this. It was pretty straightforward. We had good examples to work from which helped a lot
Old 09-17-2013   #7
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 2943091
Editing OK?: Ask First

Bobby,

I think you did a great job with the limited time that you had.

I find the lighting the most interesting part of this type of shoot and in the comparison of one shot to a previous shot. In your shot the specular highlights are much thinner and more opaque, or less translucent than the ones on the original shots. That indicates that your diffused light sources were smaller. Your lighting looks fine, very clean and direct which I like, but it is different than the lighting in the original shot.

Clients with their ridiculous time constraints! They're all the same.

"To them, the bike is just garage clutter. To us, it's a loaded Beretta, a half-million in cash, and a forged passport under the floorboards." - Dan Walsh

" Enjoy every sandwich!"

Every single camera and all of the lenses that I've ever owned.
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013   #8
Photocamel Master

Yea I did the best I could with the time available, the overhead for this was simply a 52x12" strip box on a boom as I did not have time to build a large overhead scrim panel plus I was working in a very small space compared to what I had in my previous studio. Here I only had 10' for ceiling height.

In the end it was close enough for Government work at least the highlights were there, the first photographer they hired lit it with 2 lights at a 45 though in truth the client was more concerned with the same position and camera angle than with the light
Old 09-18-2013   #9
Llama

CamelKarma: 986667
Editing OK?: Ask first

Bobby,
That was a very impressive result even without taking the time constraint into consideration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by korman View Post

I wonder, is there any place where on can find these kind of information or does anyone need to figure that out n its own by trial until such details are noticed?

Korman
The other convention with bicycles is that if there is a label on the tires it is to be lined up with the valves. The practical application is so that it is easy to locate the valves quickly.

This might be a good idea for someone who is inclined to write a book about product styling and conventional presentation if there isn't one out there somewhere already. If someone knows of such a book that is already in existence - let us know.
Mumbo Jumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013   #10
Photocamel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbo Jumbo View Post
Bobby,
That was a very impressive result even without taking the time constraint into consideration.

The other convention with bicycles is that if there is a label on the tires it is to be lined up with the valves. The practical application is so that it is easy to locate the valves quickly.

This might be a good idea for someone who is inclined to write a book about product styling and conventional presentation if there isn't one out there somewhere already. If someone knows of such a book that is already in existence - let us know.
Thanks and I agree about the lable on the tires and the valves but as I did not assemble the bike that was kind of out of my hand. If it had been up to me I would have pulled and reset the chain to the sprocket so that the valves could have been at 6:00

Bobby Deal is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Commercial »

Share this topic: