Bamboo Bike - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Commercial

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2013   #11
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 1459606
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Bamboo Bike

I think you matched it well.

The existing pic on their site is less shiny and has larger flatter reflections, but I'm not sure that's a photography thing, the metal itself almost looks like it has a matte finish, and the bike you photographed was very shiny and glossy.

Blog
Tumblr
500px
Model Mayhem
jgunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013   #12
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 19116378

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgunder View Post
I think you matched it well.

The existing pic on their site is less shiny and has larger flatter reflections, but I'm not sure that's a photography thing, the metal itself almost looks like it has a matte finish, and the bike you photographed was very shiny and glossy.
No Brooks is right my overhead light source was smaller than the previous photographers lightsource resulting in more specular highlights with a harder transition.
Old 09-19-2013   #13
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 7958959
Editing OK?: Yes

This may be a good challenge, bike lighting!
Old 09-19-2013   #14
Llama

CamelKarma: 1028299

Funny. I like the over muted tones and the clean simplicity of the shot. "On demand" work can lead to good/poor results. You carried it off nicely.
RetCombatVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013   #15
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 17673
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbo Jumbo View Post
Bobby,
That was a very impressive result even without taking the time constraint into consideration.

The other convention with bicycles is that if there is a label on the tires it is to be lined up with the valves. The practical application is so that it is easy to locate the valves quickly.
I do agree that this is a great job considering the short notice.
The label being with the valve stem is a hold over from the days of sew ups being the tire of the day. They would insert it so the stitching for the casing always started and ended at the label. The older tires, and some racers still use them are not like car tires. Also when you find a puncture on the tube you can then trace the casing to find, or check to make sure that nothing is still in the casing to re-puncture your tube easily. Even when I used tubular tires I would still align my stems with the label, just for that reason. Also in the good old sew up days you carried an extra tire that had a light coating of glue on it in case you got a flat while out riding. Fixing a flat with a sew up on the roadside was not a quick thing like it is now. And yes the tires were glued on to the rims. The were made from nylon, silk, or cotton, and you chose your tire based upon the weather, because some tires did not play well in wet weather, weight wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Deal View Post
Thanks and I agree about the lable on the tires and the valves but as I did not assemble the bike that was kind of out of my hand. If it had been up to me I would have pulled and reset the chain to the sprocket so that the valves could have been at 6:00
I agree I too would have done that for the shot. All in all you did pull off a quickie job very nicely. Well done.
Old 09-21-2013   #16
Photocamel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetCombatVet View Post
Funny. I like the over muted tones and the clean simplicity of the shot. "On demand" work can lead to good/poor results. You carried it off nicely.
Thanks and I agree it is always a crap shoot going into a project like this
Old 09-21-2013   #17
Photocamel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joves View Post
I do agree that this is a great job considering the short notice.
The label being with the valve stem is a hold over from the days of sew ups being the tire of the day. They would insert it so the stitching for the casing always started and ended at the label. The older tires, and some racers still use them are not like car tires. Also when you find a puncture on the tube you can then trace the casing to find, or check to make sure that nothing is still in the casing to re-puncture your tube easily. Even when I used tubular tires I would still align my stems with the label, just for that reason. Also in the good old sew up days you carried an extra tire that had a light coating of glue on it in case you got a flat while out riding. Fixing a flat with a sew up on the roadside was not a quick thing like it is now. And yes the tires were glued on to the rims. The were made from nylon, silk, or cotton, and you chose your tire based upon the weather, because some tires did not play well in wet weather, weight wise.

I agree I too would have done that for the shot. All in all you did pull off a quickie job very nicely. Well done.
Thanks that is interesting background on bike tires
Old 01-14-2014   #18
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 783595
Editing OK?: Yes

Nice job. After looking at the original site, I did wonder about the valves, too.
stef@apl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #19
Photocamel Master

Tanks Stef, it was one of those down and dirty quick and done sessions.
Old 03-24-2014   #20
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 304409
Editing OK?: Ask first

It's my pleasure to see such a nature friendly Bike called Bamboo Bike. Looking forward to have much more things from you.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Commercial »

Share this topic: