Photographng Firearms - Page 3
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Commercial

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2013   #21
Llama

CamelKarma: 832527
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Photographng Firearms

Not my thing, but C&C is always appreciated.
I will say product photography is a lot harder than it looks and can be downright humbling!

Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013   #22
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 497479

Crapshot, there's a lot of stuff going on in your image, doubly so with that very busy colouring the weapon has. Green - Orange - a few giszmos in different colours and then to crown in, the reflection from the metal background, that's just overdoing it with colours.

Depending on whether the gun or the gizmos are the main focus, the props should b arranged differently. Also the location looks more like a trade show.

I'm in no way involved in product photography, but to make those things appealing and sexy, I'd start with another location. Something without many colours and something resembling the natural usage for those things. Perhaps some grey boulders, big enough to take cover behind and to brace the gun on and still with enough space for the gizmos. Or some concrete wall at railing height, like you often find on roof tops or seaside piers, like you see often in bad movies where the SWAT snipers take cover. But that idea might have associations not welcome by the manufacturer, so the rocks are probably safer than any urban setting for a gun.

From then on, it's composition where to place the gizmos attractively to make sense and taking care where the lines, specially the gun barrel, lead the viewer.

Korman
korman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013   #23
E
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 822995

I like the depth and lighting in this shot. There are specular highlights along the top of the scope and other places on the rifle as well as on the "gizmos" (i like that term ) . This is what you want.

To add to what Korman said, the gizmos really have no relationship to the rifle. They relate to each other but not to the rifle. For the rifle I'd just have a couple of spent (or live) shells there and maybe a clip or a strap but still keep the setting simple.
Old 06-07-2013   #24
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 497479

Well, I assumed those are various types of spotting tools, including the scope on the rifle. Going by the number of gizmos, I'd have guessed this image is about the optical product, not from weapon smithy.

Korman
korman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013   #25
Llama

CamelKarma: 832527

Getting the specular highlights on products that are specifically designed to be non-reflective was a great challenge.

The owner of the rifle and hardware mentioned there was just under 20K on the table. The yellow deal is a wind and environmental measurement device, the green "thingy" is a 4000 yard laser range finder, and the others are spotting scope and binoculars.

I quickly cloned out some of the "thingys" to see how it looks and I agree it is better without them.
Thanks for the pointers!
I think I will re shoot it with less distractions.
A 60 second edit below.

Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013   #26
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1206139

You were dead to rights accurate when you said this kind of work is humbling. I've got not knocks about your effort here. I do have a suggestion about product work. Pick one item and make it the "Star" and use the other items as "Extras" in supporting roles. Just like in portraiture, zone in on the important elements and use the other only to embellish the story. If you give the eyes too much to look at, they will wander away from the important.

I like that you've got some nice long smooth specular highlights and transitions.

Facebook

Camel Equine Group

My Equine Album

Fireworks Album

Steven G Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013   #27
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 279551
Editing OK?: No

Humbling is an understatement, for sure, but can be very rewarding and well worth the effort.

Garball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013   #28
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 2943091
Editing OK?: Ask First

Yes, that's the way it's done!

I'm not a big fan of the floating guns on the stripped-in backgrounds but the lighting on the firearms is spot on. Soft boxes and diffusion panels are the way to go.

"To them, the bike is just garage clutter. To us, it's a loaded Beretta, a half-million in cash, and a forged passport under the floorboards." - Dan Walsh

" Enjoy every sandwich!"

Every single camera and all of the lenses that I've ever owned.
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Commercial »

Share this topic: