Shooting the impossible (mirrored cylinder) - Page 3
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Commercial

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2013   #21
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 2943091
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Shooting the impossible (mirrored cylinder)

Coroplast is a corrugated plastic sheet which will probably show a ribbed pattern when trans-illuminated and possibly even when used as a reflector.

"To them, the bike is just garage clutter. To us, it's a loaded Beretta, a half-million in cash, and a forged passport under the floorboards." - Dan Walsh

" Enjoy every sandwich!"

Every single camera and all of the lenses that I've ever owned.
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013   #22
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 19116378
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
Originally Posted by zemlin View Post
Was figuring on a swing like that, but not with a tilt-shift lens. Roberts has a PC 85mm f2.8 D in the rental list, but that's going to be too long for the space I have to work in - especially on a DX body. Photoshop will have to be my tilt-shift tool.

Rental on that lens is only $25/day ... I should take that for a walk sometime to get a taste of tilt-shift first hand.

There is a 40x60 white muslin on Craigslist here - designed to hang portrait, but that could be addressed. I haven't found sources for super-sized backdrops online (haven't tried real hard) so I don't know how it's priced. Considering the cost of a case of foam-core plus delivery by truck, a large white muslin isn't out of the question. The facility has an overhead crane, so I could make a PVC or EMT frame and lift it high enough to clear the top of the machine. The problem with the 40x60 is that 2/3rds of it would be crumpled on the floor. Some could be pulled in toward the machine to cover the floor, but managing that much excess fabric would be a pain, I'm sure.

It's also worth mentioning that the client (my employer) is willing to buy something like a large muslin or a case of foam core to store on-location as we will surely shoot other equipment there in the future. It just has to be reasonably priced.
Not sure what camera you are using but Borrowlens.com has several TS lenses including a 17mm for Canon and it does not show in this search but I am pretty sure they have a 24mm for Nikon too

Rent professional cameras or camera lenses for Canon, Nikon, Sony, Olympus, Leica and Pentax
Old 07-09-2013   #23
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 7045525
Editing OK?: Yes

Well, the job is confirmed for Thursday. 12 sheets of white foam core have been delivered along with some 3" white gaff tape so I can hinge pairs together. Two rolls of super-white paper will be picked up tonight. Wish me luck. I'm going to pass on the tilt-shift lens as I don't feel like I want to be trying to learn that along with all the other challenges I'll be facing. Photoshop will work for now.
zemlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013   #24
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 2943091

There's not much to learn when using a tilt/shift lens as they're simple to use, but if you can back up far enough to include the entire machine you shouldn't need a tilt shift lens anyway.

If you can post an available light snapshot of the machine here before your shoot I'm sure you'll get some useful advice on how to light and shoot it.

"To them, the bike is just garage clutter. To us, it's a loaded Beretta, a half-million in cash, and a forged passport under the floorboards." - Dan Walsh

" Enjoy every sandwich!"

Every single camera and all of the lenses that I've ever owned.
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013   #25
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 5188665

KARL! Good Luck!

If the subject is tall, if you elevate yourself half way up the height of the subject you will not need too much distortion correction. as long as the camera remains parallel to the vertical line of the subject.

If you decide to use a PC lens- all you need to be able to operate is the vertical rise.

When keeping the camera perfectly perpendicular to the floor you may end up with too much floor and.or ceiling but that can be easily addressed in cropping as long as you have allowed enough space in you composition.

If you need to use a wide angle lens because of space restrictions, you must be especially careful with perspective issues. Most better wide angle prime lenses and better zoom lenses should not have very much intrinsic barrel or pin cushion distortion as some of the older models.

All the best- POST SOON! I'll bet you are gonna do it!

Ed
Old 07-09-2013   #26
Photocamel Master

Thanks, Ed. The space is certainly tighter than ideal, but I don't think it will be bad. I have a bubble level and plan to use it to keep the camera normal to the world. I'm comfortable heading into this, but it is uncharted territory for me on several fronts. I won't really know what I'm getting into until I'm into it.
Old 07-11-2013   #27
Photocamel Master

I didn't get to the overall machine shots today, but here's one that did a quick edit on tonight.
Old 07-11-2013   #28
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 147716

Looks great to me.
Canon 580 EX
Tamron 17-55 2.8 DI
Lightsphere
Canon 100mm 2.8 macro
Canon 70-200 2.8 L
fly4rfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013   #29
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 5188665

Nice! If you think you need more light field areas you can get them in by feathering your reflectors. The cylindrical parts look fine- the darker fields give them shape. The metal parts that look gray don't look bad at all providing they are actually gray- there is a bit of fall off in those areas- perhaps just an angle of incidences issue. A mirror (about 16X20 inches in size) may work well there.

Looking good!

Ed
Old 07-12-2013   #30
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1206139

I'm no expert and don't have a trained eye for this kind of work; however, I've been following along this thread. I think you've scored a home run with this. Thanks for giving us a look. It's been fascinating to keep up.

Facebook

Camel Equine Group

My Equine Album

Fireworks Album

Steven G Webb is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Commercial »

Share this topic: