Medium Format Camera to EOS adapter
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2008   #1
Former Camel

CamelKarma: 3200
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Medium Format Camera to EOS adapter

I knew Canon was extremely versatile. I bought a Canon 10d solely to use M42 lenses from the 1970's

There is a long list of glass that can be used on a Canon with an inexpensive adapter.

But just now I saw you can even adapt a medium format camera to a Canon camera !!!!!!

Dig this

Alt

Now I have seen everything!

Canon can use just about any lens via adapter. It will meter the lens, so you use aperture priority mode and the camera will set the correct shutter speed for a correct exposure.

Search eBay for ___ to EOS adapter (or similar)

Canon EOS can use :

Canon FD
Nikon
M42
M39 (via M42 adapter and M39 to M42 thread adapter)
Minolta
Mamiya
T-mount / T2
Exakta / Topcon
Leica
Pentacon 6 / Kiev 60
Haoda
Rollei
Contax
Hasselblad
Pentax K PK
Olympus OM

and more.

And you can buy a focus confirmation chip for like $12 from China. This chip when glued to an adapter will give focus confirmation - a green light in the viewfinder when the camera feels you are in focus. No more guessing It makes manual focus only a little more time consuming than autofocus - not difficult at all.

Cheers,
Craig

Old 12-14-2008   #2
Former Camel

Default Re: Medium Format Camera to EOS adapter

OK, I have Googled this "medium format camera to EOS" adapter business.

I guess when you put two things together that weren't designed to be together there can be a compromise - apparently the "medium format camera to EOS" adapter won't focus all the way to infinity (as needed in landscapes and such) when using lenses wider than 135mm.

Apparently this is because these adapters place the EOS camera's sensor a few inches further back than the film would go inside the medium format camera, this distance creates that effect.

Of course an engineer could modify an adapter so it places the EOS at the same spot the film would go. Engineers can make and modify anything.

So that's the compromise.

Still, I find it interesting all the things that can be adapted to Canon, that makes for a very versatile camera!

I imagine this ability to be adapted would make Canon cameras perfect for a film user who is trying to move to digital. He could take up digital and still use all of his lenses - avoiding the cost of new lenses and maintaining the familiarity of his favorite glass.

I get a kick out of these adaptations
spystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008   #3
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 10673
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by spystyle View Post
Canon can use just about any lens via adapter. It will meter the lens, so you use aperture priority mode and the camera will set the correct shutter speed for a correct exposure.
Have you done this? All of my Canon glass is EOS but on Nikons, when the camera can't read the aperture from the lens, it just shows a zero or dashes. You can't set the aperture or use the meter. You have to chimp or use a handheld meter.
Old 12-14-2008   #4
Former Camel

I do it all the time with Canon !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Fuji S1, which is a Nikon dSLR (simply put), can not do this. To do this on a Nikon you must use a hand held exposure meter.

Let me see if I can find a pic I took with the Canon 300d and an M42 lens. I get these lenses for as little as $5 and I love that they are all metal, no plastic. See all my gear with prices here.

Let's see ..... OK, here is one. Poor lighting, ISO 1600, Canon 300d, Takumar 55mm f/1.8 from 1971 with fungus (my other lenses do not have fungus). This shot was taken before I got my focus aid adapter so I had to squint through the Rebel's little viewfinder - I strongly recommend the focus aid adapter over the regular adapters. When I get my 10d in the mail I will be able to really show what these old lenses are capable of. But right now I have no Canon.

(Also noise ninja, resize, and temperature adjust)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5668 Takumar 50 ISO 1600 copy.jpg (136.6 KB, 130 views)
Old 12-14-2008   #5
Former Camel

Here is that same lens used under more agreeable lighting. Fuji S1 in manual mode. f/1.8, ISO 400, 1/45. If I recall this photo has had no post processing, I think it was taken before I got photoshop. I really love Takumar lenses

Old 12-14-2008   #6
Former Camel

To see what the M42 glass is capable of see the M42 photo pool on flickr.

To see what the lenses look like, see photos of mine.
Old 12-14-2008   #7
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 3332465
Editing OK?: Ask First

Quote:
Originally Posted by spystyle View Post
I do it all the time with Canon !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Fuji S1, which is a Nikon dSLR (simply put), can not do this. To do this on a Nikon you must use a hand held exposure meter.

Let me see if I can find a pic I took with the Canon 300d and an M42 lens. I get these lenses for as little as $5 and I love that they are all metal, no plastic. See all my gear with prices here.

Let's see ..... OK, here is one. Poor lighting, ISO 1600, Canon 300d, Takumar 55mm f/1.8 from 1971 with fungus (my other lenses do not have fungus). When I get my 10d in the mail I will be able to really show what these old lenses are capable of. But right now I have no Canon.
Might check your white balance on this one...she looks a little green. Regarding the 10D, I doubt you'll see much change over the 300D. They're basically the same camera with different controls and firmware.
Old 12-14-2008   #8
Former Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampler View Post
Might check your white balance on this one...she looks a little green.
I adjusted the white balance on account of the yellow light in the room (I must remember to use custom white balance always!!!!)

Let's see if I can fix that - good thing I am shade blind (sarcasm)

OK, I have uploaded a new one

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampler View Post
Regarding the 10D, I doubt you'll see much change over the 300D. They're basically the same camera with different controls and firmware.
Yes, I wasn't implying there would be a difference, it's just I have no Canon at all at the moment.
Old 12-14-2008   #9
Former Camel

I'd really get a kick out of adapting my Kodak Brownie to an EOS

"What's that big box on the end of your camera?"
Old 01-23-2009   #10
Llama

CamelKarma: 104162
Editing OK?: Ask First

Is there any adapter to use Canon lenses on Hasselblad H3D?

http://hamrani.deviantart.com/gallery/
Tareq is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon »

Share this topic: