Will Future Canon's offer more than 3 AEB??
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2008   #1
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 61045
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Will Future Canon's offer more than 3 AEB??

Nikon really has the edge on this 1 feature by far, and I just don't understand why Canon won't jomp on board with this feature? The New Nikon's do up to 9 I bleieve in AEB mode. So you can fire off 9 exposure's 1 stop apart without even touching the camera (using a cable of course). All Canon's to the best of my knowlege can only do 3 which requires touching the camera to adjust the exposure comp or shutter speed depending on how you do it.

For HDR shooters this is a HUGE disadvantage! Clouds moving, camera movement ect.. are all legitement issues IMO? Seems like this could be a farley simple software mod?

What gives??

Thanks,
Jay

SonyAlphaLab.com
Now On Google+

Jason Hermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008   #2
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 303
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: Will Future Canon's offer more than 3 AEB??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worm324 View Post
Nikon really has the edge on this 1 feature by far, and I just don't understand why Canon won't jomp on board with this feature? The New Nikon's do up to 9 I bleieve in AEB mode. So you can fire off 9 exposure's 1 stop apart without even touching the camera (using a cable of course). All Canon's to the best of my knowlege can only do 3 which requires touching the camera to adjust the exposure comp or shutter speed depending on how you do it.

For HDR shooters this is a HUGE disadvantage! Clouds moving, camera movement ect.. are all legitement issues IMO? Seems like this could be a farley simple software mod?

What gives??

Thanks,
Jay
I never knew Canons only do 3, I tend to use 5 as 9 is over kill and shooting in raw my D300 will only manage 6 fps, so any longer than that and there is higher chance of ghosting.

Unless a faster DSLR is designed then 5 is really a good spot, hopefully canon realise this and canon fans can enjoy 5 AEB.
Old 09-11-2008   #3
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 690429

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worm324 View Post
Nikon really has the edge on this 1 feature by far, and I just don't understand why Canon won't jump on board with this feature? The New Nikon's do up to 9 I believe in AEB mode. So you can fire off 9 exposure's 1 stop apart without even touching the camera (using a cable of course).

All Canon's to the best of my knowlege can only do 3 which requires touching the camera to adjust the exposure comp or shutter speed depending on how you do it.

What gives??
...you use the wrong body/series

...and the wrong buttons: in 40D you can set up a three-shot AE-B 'without touching the camera' in between...

...the Canon 1-D(s) III does 3, 2, 5 or 7 images 'without touching the camera' and 'as far apart' as the scale goes

Kindest regards!

Max@Home

Canon PowerShot G1X MkII, Canon PowerShot G3X, some accessories (hoods, flashes, filters, tripod) and some knowledge to use them
Max@Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008   #4
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 820906
Editing OK?: No

Come on, Jay, this is in the realm of nitpicking. Personally, I've never tried bracketing, and I probably never will. How hard is it to make three clicks.

Really, how hard is it to make a click (3 shots taken), change EC or turn a dial if in manual, then one more click...and so on. All using a wired remote control. Heck, you can do all this through a wired RC (not too sure, need Max's conformation).

If we are into nitpicking then I have one. It's been mentioned in a recent thread...EL. Why is it 4 seconds is beyond me. If I'm not mistaken, Olympus locks the exposure until you take the pic. Now that's a useful thing to have.
Old 09-11-2008   #5
Photocamel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by aam1234 View Post
Heck, you can do all this through a wired RC (not too sure, need Max's conformation).
...you can even do it from a remote Laptop shooting tethered...

Quote:
If we are into nitpicking then I have one. It's been mentioned in a recent thread...EL. Why is it 4 seconds is beyond me. If I'm not mistaken, Olympus locks the exposure until you take the pic. Now that's a useful thing to have.
...you shoot 1-Ds III don't you ??

you can set the times for all timed events...

& if you want the lock to last longer, hold the button!

Kindest regards!

Max@Home

Canon PowerShot G1X MkII, Canon PowerShot G3X, some accessories (hoods, flashes, filters, tripod) and some knowledge to use them
Old 09-11-2008   #6
Camel Breath

Miss-post

SonyAlphaLab.com
Now On Google+

Old 09-11-2008   #7
Photocamel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by aam1234 View Post
Personally, I've never tried bracketing, and I probably never will. How hard is it to make three clicks.

Really, how hard is it to make a click (3 shots taken), change EC or turn a dial if in manual, then one more click...and so on.
...and WITHOUT MOVING THE CAMERA and REALLY FAST! so that CLOUD Structures remain intact, WATER keeps running, etc...

Try before you die , then comment

Kindest regards!

Max@Home

Old 09-11-2008   #8
Camel Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max@Home View Post
you can set the times for all timed events...
To use your "terminology" ....
Old 09-11-2008   #9
Camel Breath

Max, Thanks for your response You are correct that I am using the wrong series!! I do use the AEB on the 40 d with 3 exposures all the time. The problem Is that 3 exposures is not enoungh a lot of the time. IF the D series does it than that will have to be my next upgade!! I shoot so much in HDR that that feature is VERY important to me.

Aam, I don't think it's being nit-picky at all. If you shot HDR you might understand the relavance of the feature that I'm talking about. Touching the camera not only introduces movement, but more importanly time. The time is the real issue for me and for HDR. At 6.5 FPS the 40d could rattle off 5 or 6 exposure's in no time. When I have to move a dial it atleast triples the time it would take or more. Moving the dial itself is extremly easy and I have no issue with that as it's what I do now. Add moving clouds to the equation on a windy bright day and I may need 6 exposures to capture the full dynamic range. Try doing that without getting ghost clouds in the hdr image.

Under normal shooting this is a null Issue, but when it comes to HDR it's Huge IMO

Thanks for the comments and info everybody

Best,
Jay

SonyAlphaLab.com
Now On Google+

Old 09-11-2008   #10
Camel Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max@Home View Post
Try before you die , then comment
I can comment now, before I die

Same argument with my friend when we are shooting equestrian events. He almost shouts at me to put the cam on continues mode, at the highest speed. And I always refuse because it never made sense to me. If I ever take a decent sports photo I want it to be because of my effort not because the camera is fast (fps).

aam1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon »

Share this topic: