When the flash does not recycle fast
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2007   #1
Llama

CamelKarma: 79
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default When the flash does not recycle fast

I shoot rapidly. At a "Red Mass" see Cork are in the football All-Ireland today and some people go nuts dressing up in red. There is a special Red Mass any Saturday before a final.

This shot was snapped on P Mode and flash, it is one of a burst, the fifth one where the flash did not recycle in time ~ I generally tend to force this to happen as sometimes we get lucky and get little gems like this one.

The AF on the MK3 has worked spifingly on this shot.

Gbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007   #2
I'm around sometimes

CamelKarma: 86064
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: When the flash does not recycle fast

you want to be careful. To many pops too quick can burn the bulb.

Do you have a cp-e3/e4 battery pack?
Old 09-16-2007   #3
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 690429

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentchau View Post

I had a CP-E3 w/my 580ex, and now have the E4 w/my 580exII, I upgraded the set to 'weather-resistant' , note that using one will allow for 8 to 9 fast consecutive shots @ 5 FPS.. (*my* average on a 20D w/580ex '1', all on 2700NiMH GP rechargeables, YMMV)... but that it does NOT prevent the 580ex(I or II) from overheating/burning.

...and sometimes in-between both indeed miss a shot sometimes, as sometimes it doesn't fire at all... ...so far, but too early to draw conclusions, this happened more often w/580ex than w/580exII...

as far as Canon is concerned, you should 'apply caution' when shooting fast series w/flash, I have searched again and again, but can't find no 'hard data' on how many shots in a series is acceptable and how many simply is too much, heatwise...

Really neat shot BTW, GBee, and good to hear that your 1DIII's 'good -or at least somewhat better - AF' isn't a 'one night stand' , and thanks for sharing this information & the shot!

...€0.02...

Kindest regards,

Max@Home

Canon PowerShot G1X MkII, Canon PowerShot G3X, some accessories (hoods, flashes, filters, tripod) and some knowledge to use them
Max@Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007   #4
Llama

Been there done that ~ yes sir. It takes about 150~200 full power pops to cause damage and within about an hours non-stop shooting ~ fixed charge CPS repair, a new flash.

Damage to my 580EX flash Photo Gallery by Gerard Bonus at pbase.com

STG 70 for CPS London including their postage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentchau View Post

Old 09-16-2007   #5
Llama

50 consecutive full power shots is it's limit. I can't remember my case now, but I think I shot 200 RAW files in about an hour. If I had thought I was letting myself in for that much I'd have brought my high speed studio set instead, but I was expecting a "location" shoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max@Home View Post
as far as Canon is concerned, you shoud 'apply caution' when shooting fast series w/flash, I have searched again and again, but can't find no 'hard data' on how many shots in a series is accepatbel and how many simply is too much, heatwise...

Max@Home
Old 09-16-2007   #6
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 690429

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbee View Post
50 consecutive full power shots is it's limit.
Great info! Thanks a mill!

Kindest regards,

Max@Home

Canon PowerShot G1X MkII, Canon PowerShot G3X, some accessories (hoods, flashes, filters, tripod) and some knowledge to use them
Max@Home is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon »

Share this topic: