PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum

PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum (https://photocamel.com/forum/)
-   Canon (https://photocamel.com/forum/canon/)
-   -   AWB (https://photocamel.com/forum/canon/31465-awb.html)

karls-images 09-15-2007 10:33 AM

AWB

Is it best to stick with AWB if the cam is set to RAW........??

Gbee 09-15-2007 10:36 AM

Re: AWB

Probably.

I'd say there is no hard and fast rule either way. I use AWB substantially

tomrock 09-15-2007 11:16 AM

If you're shooting raw, it makes no difference. You adjust the WB in the converter.

aam1234 09-15-2007 12:39 PM

AWB generally works, provided that you have something white/gray/black in the photo. Also, if the light is challenging (e.g mixture of different lights) then you need CWB for proper WB.

dougsmit 09-15-2007 01:22 PM

Some (most?) RAW converters will access the WB settings to give a place to start so I suppose you might do better setting the WB to what makes sense for the shot even though it really makes no difference in the file saved. Certainly you should do what you can (AWB or other) if you are shooting RAW+JPG but I never do that and don't care where I start as long as I get to where I want in the end so I just leave the camera on AWB.

cyclohexane 09-15-2007 08:06 PM

Quote:

Some (most?) RAW converters will access the WB settings to give a place to start so I suppose you might do better setting the WB to what makes sense for the shot even though it really makes no difference in the file saved
I have yet to use one that doesn't apply WB settings, though older versions of ACR read the meta data terribly. I was working with files from my dad's much newer camera (profile added to ACR in version 3.3) and the WB data was much better than what I get with my older cameras.

jfrancho 09-15-2007 08:14 PM

Quote:

older versions of ACR read the meta data terribly
It still does, but I love it anyway. AWB works well enough to recommend all the time, if your shooting raw. I sometimes set up a CWB in camera for a particularly difficult exposure, where a wrong step with color temp will affect the exposure. Most of the time, I just shoot a reference, leave the camera in AWB, and use the reference to calibrate the WB later in the raw converter.

cyclohexane 09-15-2007 09:12 PM

Quote:

t still does, but I love it anyway.
Probably because Adobe doesn't really seem to update profiles that seemed okay to them. My D2H files still read "ACR 2.4" under "Camera Profile" when I open it up in 4.2.

jfrancho 09-15-2007 09:35 PM

That's the only profile they ever had.

KerryG 09-16-2007 01:01 AM

Even when shooting RAW I want my white balance to be as close as possible so that I don't HAVE TO adjust it in post. If you do a custom white balance, this is the setting that Photoshop/Lightroom will use for the "As Shot" setting. Why spend more time in post to correct white balance when its so easy to do in camera?