AWB - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2007   #11
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1091466
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: AWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryG View Post
Even when shooting RAW I want my white balance to be as close as possible so that I don't HAVE TO adjust it in post. If you do a custom white balance, this is the setting that Photoshop/Lightroom will use for the "As Shot" setting. Why spend more time in post to correct white balance when its so easy to do in camera?
I mean, like god dude, I would like have to like work a little to take a picture with setting this white balance thing? Like get real man, the world is like all computers dude, nobody has to like you know how to do stuff with a camera anymore, you can just like fix everything in Photoshop these days.

Seriously, KerryG, I'm with you on this one. The use of some basic photographic skills can save a lot of time on the computer. I didn't dump film and my darkroom after 30+ years just to trade darkroom time for computer time. I wanted more shooting time.
gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007   #12
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4939
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
Even when shooting RAW I want my white balance to be as close as possible so that I don't HAVE TO adjust it in post. If you do a custom white balance, this is the setting that Photoshop/Lightroom will use for the "As Shot" setting. Why spend more time in post to correct white balance when its so easy to do in camera?
As stated above, "As Shot" in Photoshop or Lightroom isn't always the same as what the camera coded in the file. As Michael stated above, it gets better with each noew camera, and new release of ACR, but until manufacturers share all of their proprietary raw file specs, it isn't perfect.

That was a mouthful! But, I think you're right to get it as close to possible in the camera, because the closer you are to getting the correct WB, the more accurate the in camera histogram will be, since it is based on a jpeg thumbnail made using the in camera settings.

That said, AWB, on my 20D is fine for most shooting conditions, and does a pretty good job. Start shooting under mercury vapor lighting, or stage lighting, and you'll want to pay closer attention. Again, this applies to shooting in raw mode.
Old 09-16-2007   #13
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 820906

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryphonslair99 View Post
I mean, like god dude, I would like have to like work a little to take a picture with setting this white balance thing? Like get real man, the world is like all computers dude, nobody has to like you know how to do stuff with a camera anymore, you can just like fix everything in Photoshop these days.

Old 09-16-2007   #14
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 10673
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Why spend more time in post to correct white balance when its so easy to do in camera?
What's the point in shooting RAW if WB adjustments aren't necessary? What other advantages do you find in RAW that can't be found in JPG, WB excluded?
Old 09-16-2007   #15
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4939

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian.austin View Post
What's the point in shooting RAW if WB adjustments aren't necessary? What other advantages do you find in RAW that can't be found in JPG, WB excluded?
Color depth, choice of color space, are two that are valuable to me. Being able to sharpen my way, is another, though it can be argued that it can be done in jpeg just as well.
Old 09-16-2007   #16
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 690429

Quote:
What other advantages do you find in RAW that can't be found in JPG, WB excluded?
...not something that can't be found or done to JPG PostProcessing, but *I* prefer to do it to the RAW with more data and 14 bit colour: adjusting PictureStyle, ( ::ducks for cover:: )
RGB and NR tab settings in DigitalPhotoProfessional...

...your mileage will vary...

Kindest regards!

Max@Home

Canon PowerShot G1X MkII, Canon PowerShot G3X, some accessories (hoods, flashes, filters, tripod) and some knowledge to use them
Max@Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007   #17
Photocamel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max@Home View Post
...not something that can't be found or done to JPG PostProcessing, but *I* prefer to do it to the RAW with more data and 14 bit colour: adjusting PictureStyle, ( ::ducks for cover:: )
RGB and NR tab settings in DigitalPhotoProfessional...
PictureStyles are new to me, moving from a 20D to a 40D recently. In RAW, they can be changed via DPP? I never bothered to install DPP on my new(er) computer and haven't touched it for well over a year.
Old 09-16-2007   #18
Photocamel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrancho View Post
Color depth, choice of color space, are two that are valuable to me.
Color space can be changed PP in RAW? I know that it's adjustable between PP steps or while exporting, etc., but I thought color rendition via the color space selected was locked in at exposure. If that's not the case, what's the point in selecting a color space if shooting RAW?
Old 09-16-2007   #19
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1099193

Quote:
I thought color rendition via the color space selected was locked in at exposure. If that's not the case, what's the point in selecting a color space if shooting RAW?
Color space is selectable upon conversion of your RAW files. You don't need to select a color space if shooting RAW, but it's one less step if you're using the camera manufacturer's RAW converter.
Old 09-16-2007   #20
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 690429

Quote:
PictureStyles are new to me, moving from a 20D to a 40D recently. In RAW, they can be changed via DPP?
...Yes, Sir, that's what I have been doing with my 20D files for over 2 years now

Quote:
I never bothered to install DPP on my new(er) computer and haven't touched it for well over a year.
...then you are missing out on a great piece of software, IMO!

...*my* 0.02...

Kindest regards!

Max@Home

Canon PowerShot G1X MkII, Canon PowerShot G3X, some accessories (hoods, flashes, filters, tripod) and some knowledge to use them
Max@Home is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon »

Share this topic: