My MK3 doing alright in the paper
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2007   #1
Llama

CamelKarma: 79
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Talking My MK3 doing alright in the paper

Where it matters, my MK3 captures are looking great in my local newspaper, nice colour and sharpness, I'm using it in M1 and 5 quality but I have to remove a smidgen of blue in most of my files, but it responds very well and the newsprint looks great.

In contrast my MIKIIn has a somewhat purple cast which does not respond so well and is often reproduced in the paper.

nearly one week on ...

Old 09-13-2007   #2
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4939
Editing OK?: No
Default Re: My MK3 doing alright in the paper

Glad to hear you like the new camera.

Quote:
In contrast my MIKIIn has a somewhat purple cast which does not respond so well and is often reproduced in the paper.
Is the cast introduced in the camera or during the CMYK conversion? If its the former, can't you use the same adjustment that you use to correct the "smidgen of blue" from the MkIII? I know even on my 20D, there are some pretty robust color and tint adjustments that can be made, I'm sure that 1-series has something similar or maybe even better.
Old 09-13-2007   #3
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1099193

Glad the Mk.III is working out and is "newsprint sharp". Hey, that's what counts, right? =)
Old 09-13-2007   #4
Llama

The paper went upmarket recently and the new press is not a year old yet.

For a newspaper, it is one of the better ones and I do know the rubbish that can be produced, particularly for some of those free sheets.

The paper has gone from 76DPI to 166DPI in Tabloid and a half page pic in colour will show up your sloppy work, well maybe not your, I should say it will show up any of my sloppy work and it can be embarrassing at times when they pick the technically poorest but aesthetically prettiest pic and blow it up full bleed.

I get quite a bit of that work for the Canon quality, the staffers are shooting D1h & D2h 2.7MP Vs 8MP and now 10MP from my Canons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclohexane View Post
Glad the Mk.III is working out and is "newsprint sharp". Hey, that's what counts, right? =)
Gbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007   #5
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1099193

166 DPI, very nice. Well, that's even better news. =)
Old 09-13-2007   #6
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 690429
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbee View Post
I get quite a bit of that work for the Canon quality, the staffers are shooting D1h & D2h 2.7MP Vs 8MP and now 10MP from my Canons.
...another case where bigger is better...

Congrats on the good reception of your files, as indeed that's where it counts, interesting read about the magazine's printing dpi etc. also!

thanks for an informative thread!

Kindest regards!

Max@Home

Canon PowerShot G1X MkII, Canon PowerShot G3X, some accessories (hoods, flashes, filters, tripod) and some knowledge to use them
Max@Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007   #7
Alter_ego

CamelKarma:

How can you tell its a smidgen of blue?
Very much like my 1D2N I seem to have that dreaded magenta cast in my skin tones. Maybe its my Elinchrom lights, or the umbrellas i'm using, but any studio portraits are way too red.I Like using DPP for converting raws, and for simple image tweaking, but this magenta cast is killing me.
Or maybe its just the 'portrait' picture style thats the problem. I'll have to do some comparison conversions using the other picture styles and check them in CS2. I'd just love to have a magenta slider in DPP so I could just turn it down a bit.

Anyone know how to reduce magenta in DPP.
Old 09-15-2007   #8
Llama

I found I was taking green n and blue down a peg in DPP to try and correct the magenta cast. But I must admit that I was really only introducing another green cast, I was unable to reduce the magenta with the green slider, accurately enough before it turned green @ and a new problem.

The blue from my MK3 is a purer colour so a small blue channel adjustment just take away the blue, adds that warm skin tone and neutralised greys.

I am not a fan of the Picture Style, yet my colleague, loves them and uses portrait all the time and he has lovely colours too. Maybe it's a fault in the particular camera, I have not sent mine in for this.

There is colour adjustment you should be able to apply in camera to suit the studio condition you use, if you have not done so already you need to start by making a special colour balance for your studio, I found under condition where the magenta was too strong and influence, making a separate colour balance off a grey card usually produced good results. But I am using the neutral picture style.

Sometimes the portrait style works lovely and I can see why you'd want to use it, but I suspect it can enhance the magenta cast where it arises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_ego View Post
How can you tell its a smidgen of blue?
Very much like my 1D2N I seem to have that dreaded magenta cast in my skin tones. Maybe its my Elinchrom lights, or the umbrellas i'm using, but any studio portraits are way too red.I Like using DPP for converting raws, and for simple image tweaking, but this magenta cast is killing me.
Or maybe its just the 'portrait' picture style thats the problem. I'll have to do some comparison conversions using the other picture styles and check them in CS2. I'd just love to have a magenta slider in DPP so I could just turn it down a bit.

Anyone know how to reduce magenta in DPP.
Gbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007   #9
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 690429
Editing OK?: Yes

...mhhhh... perhaps the new PictureStyleEditor software will allow you both to determine a more workeable colour-response, it should become available for download any day now, looks interesting enough in the DPReview review, see there, I tinkered with it (as it came with my 40D), but haven't made any custom styles yet other than in-camera.

(FWIW: I shoot RAW+MediumFineJPG, Faithfull Picture Style with Sharpness +2 and Saturation +1 added to get nicer JPG's straight-from camera )

Kindest regards!

Max@Home

Canon PowerShot G1X MkII, Canon PowerShot G3X, some accessories (hoods, flashes, filters, tripod) and some knowledge to use them
Max@Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007   #10
Alter_ego

CamelKarma:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbee View Post
I found I was taking green n and blue down a peg in DPP to try and correct the magenta cast. But I must admit that I was really only introducing another green cast, I was unable to reduce the magenta with the green slider, accurately enough before it turned green @ and a new problem.

The blue from my MK3 is a purer colour so a small blue channel adjustment just take away the blue, adds that warm skin tone and neutralised greys.

I am not a fan of the Picture Style, yet my colleague, loves them and uses portrait all the time and he has lovely colours too. Maybe it's a fault in the particular camera, I have not sent mine in for this.

There is colour adjustment you should be able to apply in camera to suit the studio condition you use, if you have not done so already you need to start by making a special colour balance for your studio, I found under condition where the magenta was too strong and influence, making a separate colour balance off a grey card usually produced good results. But I am using the neutral picture style.

Sometimes the portrait style works lovely and I can see why you'd want to use it, but I suspect it can enhance the magenta cast where it arises.
How did you reduce the green and blue? Do you adjust the curve in the RGB channels. If so, how ?
Where is the green slider you mention?
I shot a grey card for white balance and exposure adjustments, but am not aware that there are any colour adjustments in the MkIII. Unless of course I haven't found it yet.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon »

Share this topic: