Lens for wedding
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2007   #1
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 872
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Lens for wedding

Would the 24-70 & 70-200 be a good choice for the basic wedding lens except for a WA for group shots?
Would there be any better choices?
Thanks in advance.
Mike Allen

Old 09-09-2007   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 690429
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Lens for wedding

...IMHO and limited experience too long on a 1.6x crop body: 17-55 and 70-200 works like a charm in that case ...

...couldn't tell for a 1.3x crop, will work on a FullFrame body

Max@Home

Canon PowerShot G1X MkII, Canon PowerShot G3X, some accessories (hoods, flashes, filters, tripod) and some knowledge to use them
Max@Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007   #3
Llama

CamelKarma: 79

70~200 is a great lens and I know some love to use it as much as possible. IMO it might be a tad heavy and as Max mentions it tends to be a bit long for usefulness in the typical wedding environment.

You might find the 24~70 is all you need, really.
Gbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007   #4
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 313787
Default 24-70mm is a great focal range

The 24-70mm mid-range zoom is a great focal range for wedding work even with a 1.6x crop camera. The equivalent 43.2mm wide side will never give you the exaggerations that a really wide lens will.

Of course, there are times when a wider lens is needed however, I try to use a wider lens most sparingly. Women, especially are sensitive to the exaggeration of the wider focal lengths because women just like to look good in photos. (Men do too but, are not as adamant about this as are women).

I really do not like to use a lens much wider than 20mm (32mm equivalent) on a 1.6x format camera when shooting people or groups of people.

I used to shoot weddings professionally and towards the end of my shooting days used 35mm film gear for the reception photos. I still used medium format for formal stuff but, found that people seldom requested anything larger than 8x10 from reception images. It was less expensive to shoot 35mm for receptions and it was a nice change to carry a couple of 35mm cameras after a usually full day of shooting with medium with format equipment. I used a pair of Canon manual focus bodies with a 35mm lens on one body and usually a 50mm on the other. I would never go to a lens as wide as 28mm because of the inherent distortions produced by wide lenses.

Of course, there are some photographers who don't mind the strange look that a wide lens will often produce.

Richard Crowe
Escondido, California
richardpcrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007   #5
I'm around sometimes

CamelKarma: 86064
Editing OK?: Yes

on my main (5d) I find a 24-70 to be wonderful. While the 2nd camera, with either an assistant or me with the 70-200 is on it at first, and then a 17-40 or (17-70) during the reception.
Old 09-15-2007   #6
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 872

Thanks for the imput, I ordered the 24-70 last week.

regards,
mike allen

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Canon »

Share this topic: